Hardwire problems... f770

Nevets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hoping I can get some help with regards to hardwiring my thinkware f770 into my e46 BMW.

I bought a set that came with the hardwire kit included, first problem I had was finding a bolt to earth the ground wire... managed to find the one and then attempted to add the constant yellow battery cable to the fuse for the folding mirrors (5amp fuse), and the red AAC cable to the horn (5amp fuse) for ignition power.

All seems good at first, and the unit powers up... the first thing I hear is the voice from the f770 with the lady telling be about reformating of the micro sd card - she did this 3 times... then continuous recording began. At this stage I believed I had everything done and working. However parking mode did not kick in when I turned the ignition off... I then thought I probably needed to turn on parking more which I did via the thinkware app. However in Turing the ignition back on the unit didn't power itself up... it only comes on when you press the power on button. And also the parking mode is still not working either with the option turned on too.

I'm not sure if it's a fact I've wired the cables incorrectly, or not earthed the ground wire properly... or if it's a case of not having enough volts running through the fuses I've selected??

Any help and advise is greatly appreciated, this is the first time I've attempted to hardwire a dash cam so not sure if it's a mistake I've made with the wiring or if there's an option I've missed in the app to make the unit start automatically with the ignition turned on.

Thanks

Steven

Your ground connection is most likely good because the Cam fires up.
Your choice of sources for the two connections (Red & Yellow) is in question however.
Most vehicles have a constant 12V to the horn, as it can normally be sounded when the vehicle is turned off. And this should be used for the "battery" connection.
The folding mirrors I cannot comment on, as I do not have those on my vehicle. If the 12V to the mirrors shuts off when the vehicle is turned off, then this would be the 12V source for the "accessory" connection.

RodeoGeorge

Thanks for the reply wa3pnt, the horn on my car doesn't sound at all without the ignition on, and the folding mirrors still fold up and down without whether the keys are in, out or the car running.

Thanks for the tip on the ground wire, good to know it must be right if the unit is powering up.

It does sound like a problem with the ignition supply (Red cable) if the camera doesn't see this power it won't auto turn on / off or go to parking mode. It sounds like your Yellow wire is connected correctly as you can manually power up the unit.

Does your Cigarette lighter go on & off with ignition?

Hi Maddoy1974 - Cigarette lighter issues power even when the ignition is off... I did get the dash cam working so it starts and stops itself - parking mode also works too.

I double checked and tried a few other fuses - however ended up going back to my original attempt of the folding mirrors and horn and it worked! I can only put this down to me not connecting the horn fuse correctly the first time.

Thanks for the responses and helpful advise.

Steven

Back