Every file locked immediately

Koala

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there

Week ago I bought Viofo A119 – V2 dash camera. From the first day of using this camera I mentioned that camera makes very often three beeps, big yellow triangle applies on the screen (same like emergency) and this symbol constantly stays on the top of the screen. File was locked. It’s happened in no motion position (in garage, car ignition off) and when I was driving on perfectly nice, flat roads – no bumps. On 3 min loop the beeps and marks applied on nearly every file immediately, after few seconds, or in first minute (random). Recorded pictures are looking great. This is my question to you – could be the problem of SD card – Samsung Evo+ 32 Gb – Class 10, or it’s something wrong with the camera?

Today I tried my camera again. Most of the files were locked in first minute, some immediately (36 of 40). I switched power supply between GPS mount and camera. No difference. I tried few G- sensor setups. CAMERA DOESN’T LOCK FILES ONLY WHEN G-sensor is in OFF position. Those beeps are very annoying and alerting. Before delaying I had to unlock every file.

Viofo A119 (V2) camera (advertised as September 2017 addition)

Firmware – A119_170522_V2.06

SD card – Samsung 32Gb EVO+ class10 (formatted)

Motion sensor - OFF

Your help will be very much appreciated. Sorry for my English language, but is not my first language. I’m temporary leaving in Australia.

Thank you

This is my question to you – could be the problem of SD card – Samsung Evo+ 32 Gb – Class 10, or it’s something wrong with the camera?
Can't rule out card as problem, but here's a few things to try before spending money:

Sounds like a G-sensor sensitivity issue, i.e., G-Sensor sensitivity is too high and is triggering unwanted event (Emergency) recordings. Set the "G-Sensor" menu setting to "Low Sensitivity" and keep Loop Recording enabled (3 minutes is typical).

You can try different G-Sensor settings at home by connecting the A119 to a +5Vdc USB wall charger or +5Vdc USB battery bank using the supplied short USB cable. Starting at the "High Sensitivity" G-Sensor setting, tap the unit against your fingers to see when it generates an event recording as evidenced by the big yellow triangle on the LCD for 5 seconds followed by the small yellow triangle icon on the LCD screen which stays on until Loop recording times out and the file is saved to the RO folder. You should find it hardest to generate an event recording at the G-Sensor "Low Sensitivity" setting, and of course none should be generated at the "OFF" setting.

You may want to update your firmware to the latest version (V3.3) which is available at http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000019600-viofo-a119-car-dash-camera-firmware. Be sure to default your settings ("Default Setting" menu selection) after loading the new firmware, then set your settings as desired. Although I have not heard of this kind of problem happening with previous versions, I would do this anyway just to rule out firmware corruption as the problem.

As a side note, pressing the Event (Emergency) button gives you the same symptoms as a G-sensor trigger. Also, the way the A119 "Locks" a file is to save it in the RO folder where it should not normally be overwritten. Once transferred to a PC or equivalent, the RO folder is just another file folder and files can be manipulated and displayed as you wish. No need to unlock files.

Hi 5 Cowbells

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I followed your advice and connected camera to my 5Vdc wall charger. Same thing happened. I tried all G-sensor settings and camera still locked 90% of all files. I didn’t have to even tap the camera. As I said before – didn’t happened only when G- sensor is off.

Tomorrow I will try to update the latest firmware (thank you very much for link). I never did this before, but I will follow all steps and hopefully my camera “still will be in one piece” after firmware updating.

Ones more, thank you very much for your help. I’ll be in touch.

Tomorrow I will try to update the latest firmware (thank you very much for link). I never did this before, but I will follow all steps and hopefully my camera “still will be in one piece” after firmware updating.
This is a routine procedure for A119 users and should not invalidate your warranty.

A few tips for updating your firmware:
  • Before starting, format your microSD card in the camera using the "Format" menu selection.
  • In step 2, use the supplied short cable to connect to the computer USB port. A blue screen will appear on the camera LCD screen with the words "MASS STORAGE". The means the camera looks like a USB storage device to the computer and the computer will assign a new drive name. Look for a new drive name in the computer file structure (for example, in File Explorer in Windows 10). Clicking on the new drive name allows you to view and manipulate the folders and files that are on the camera's miroSD card.
  • You shouldn't need the Loader firmware because your current version is V2.06. So skip steps 3-6 per the instructions.
  • Do step 7. The Root directory is the top level directory of the new drive displaying the top level microSD card file folders. After copying the FWBA119.bin file to the root directory, disconnect the camera from the computer. Wait a few seconds (15 or so), then reconnect and wait for the firmware to finish loading (see a lot of blinking lights).
  • {Edited: After disconnecting the camera from the computer you can operate the camera normally with the supplied short cable by connecting to a +5Vdc USB wall charger or battery bank.}
  • At first opportunity check the "Firmware Version" menu selection to verify the new firmware was loaded. Mine reads A119_170810_V3.3.
  • Default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection, then the set the settings as desired.
  • Ready to operate.

Last edited:
New firmware didn't help, but problem is solved. I received very quickly new camera from supplier. I have installed Transent 64 GB x 400 micro card. No problem this time. New camera has V3.3 firmware already installed. Thank you for helping.

Back