Vacation in Thailand (again)

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
It's been pretty crazy, and haven't managed to save a lot of cam video, although we covered most of the eastern side of Thailand by car.
After a few days of travel we make it back to our 'home turf' in Nong Bua Lamphu province, and we have the joys of driving HWY 210 every day. (East/West route acrosss several provinces.)
Motorbikes with no tail lights, or no lights at all are the norm. Big trucks with no lights, or no tail lights, doing 20 mph on a pitch black road are the norm.
Passing where it's not physically possible is the norm. (while flashing your high beams to warn oncoming traffic to get out of your way)

I also put a very old dashcam in the pickup truck of a relative of my friend, who doesn't own a computer, or smartphone, or have any idea how to view the video, but he thinks the dashcam is needed. (Since he has no insurance) :)

He does have a collection of Buddhist good luck trinkets in his car to protect him.

:)

Here's a turned over large truck we saw on the first day we were in this area. (didn't save the first two days of video.)
It was interesting to see the process and time frame to move this wrecked truck. (Over 3 days)

It sat for a day with another truck attending it. On the second day they had an army of workers unloading the trailer by hand, and stacking up the boxes of whatever frozen stuff was in the trailer. I assumed they would reload it into another refrigerated truck, but the boxes sat on the road for another day.
On the third day a crane arrived.

I wasn't all that interested, but we passed the damn wreck 2 times a day, anyway. It looks like the driver ran off the road on a very slight curve.

Here's a truck with no lights on the rear, at night, maybe 10 miles west of the wrecked truck. There is another slow truck ahead of it. When we finally get to the 4 lane section, the truck with almost no lights decides he needs to overtake the other truck. (They're doing maybe 25 mph)

Then we have the skillful 'overtaking'....

(I'm not the driver in the first video. )

I bet you can't wait to get back to the 'sane' driving here in the States. :D

It does help to put things into perspective. Some of the worst driving has been pretty close to home. We were upgraded to a more expensive SUV at the rental car place.
There must be something in the plastic interior stuff of large SUV's that emits some noxious gas that makes ladies insane. My gf is usually not a bad driver, but in this thing.......she might as well be juggling lit dynamite and chainsaws.
I'm hoarse from screaming in terror when she drives.

:(

Glad you two survived Thailand traffic.

Thailand has the highest rate of deaths on motorbikes in the world.
They have some sort of licensing, and helmet laws, but they're not really enforced unless the local cop needs some spending money.

This little clip is in Nong Bua Lamphu, and a little unusual since most motorbike riders have a helmet on, I don't see any bikes with no license plate, and the person 'blipping' the throttle is an early teen or pre-teen girl. (with two helmet-less passengers.) She's probably too young to have the license, 15 and up.

In Thailand I think a 'one percenter' is a motorbike rider with a helmet, license, and riding a motorbike which actually has a working tail-light.

And then we have the large buses.......here we see this jerk flashing his lights at me to get out of his way so he can overtake traffic.

I had to come to a complete stop to avoid being plowed over by this MORON.

I'll try to get my friend to fully identify the number of the bus, company, etc.
This does answer the question 'Will a YI dashcam capture an oncoming license plate at 45 mph at 1080 60p?"

bus1.JPG

It looks like there is space for a few more passengers on the trailer. (Near Khorat, Thailand)

Thais get a free lobotomy at an early age. I think it must be mandatory.

They probably have the overall brain functioning of residents of most developing countries.

A few years ago I stopped at the Elephant Kraal in Ayutthaya and happened to see the elephants, 'walking home from work'.

Not sure why, but now they have limos.

I parked on this road expecting to see them walk by, but they arrived from the place they 'work', (Giving tourists rides) across town in trucks.

When you drive in Thailand, you'll often be approached when stopped at intersections by 'masked men'. It still makes me nervous. :)
They usually don't bother you, and get out of the way when the light changes. They'll sell anything from the usual flower garland (for your car, for good luck) to fruit, and snacks. The mask is mostly sun protection. One guy somewhere in thailand who sells the garlands on the streets is know to wear superhero costumes, and was in the news lately for chasing down a crook while in his spiderman costume.
:)

I forgot I save this segment, intending to make a compilation of the many sellers like this I ran into, but didn't get around to it. :)

Back