A119 still considered one of the best purchases?

adibranch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i looked into cams a while back, the A119 was one that kept cropping up as one of the better sub £100 cams. Would this still be the case ? I was also looking at the SG9665GC. If the two, which one would be considered the better purchase?

A parking mode would be nice, but i cant really find one at a good price with good quality video, unless anyone has any suggestions? Goluk T3 perhaps?

Last edited:
hmm i'm now looking at the blackvue 3500

I think that the A119V2 is the best value in a dashcam today. For slightly better vids you'll spend double it's cost or more ;) There's not many cams which do better overall though id you're looking for a specific performance parameter you can find something which does that better at the cost of lower performance for all the rest. Cheaper and good can be had too, but not much cheaper and at noticeably lower performance levels. Best of all, Viofo isn't done with it yet- it's still being tweaked for better performance and features, and it's better now than it was a year ago :D

Phil

Thanks all. Is the blackvue 3500 now seen as a bit old and dated?

hmm shame. Ideally i want motion parking mode. I may keep looking, although i do like your SG9665GC jokiin.

can i just clarify then.. the motion detection on the A119 means that when hard wired, it will start recording when it picks up motion in range of the camera when parked (with the latest firmware installed) ?

There's a thread on here somewhere that details how it works, probably best to check that out for a more detailed description of how it works

A119 has real parking mode in the release 3.3 firmware that has been out for a few months, not just beta.

A119 with 3.3, with motion detection OFF but parking mode ON, will watch the camera when parked. If it sees motion, it will record at the frame-rate that the parking mode is set to (I have 5 fps). If it feels a bump, it goes into normal mode, and records at 30 or 60 fps. If it doesn't feel a bump for 1.5 minutes, it assumes it is parked and goes back to parking mode.

As far as if it is considered "still" a good camera. I certainly hope so, since I bought four of them last week. I have concluded it is the best choice until you spend about double. Note that the newer A119S is not a better camera. It is lower res, and also the lens is not as sharp.

The proper way to wire it is with a hard-wire kit that has a voltage cutoff in the 12.4v range. The 11.6v cutoff on most hardwire kits is too low.

Hi all, i looked into cams a while back, the A119 was one that kept cropping up as one of the better sub £100 cams. Would this still be the case ? I was also looking at the SG9665GC. If the two, which one would be considered the better purchase?

A parking mode would be nice, but i cant really find one at a good price with good quality video, unless anyone has any suggestions? Goluk T3 perhaps?
The SG9665GC without a doubt is the better choice. As an owner of both brands the SG9665GC is much better in all around performance and quality. And don't forget the after service on the SG9665GC which is offered by great Sellers who are always on this site helping out with questions etc.

SG9665GC is 1080P/30 while A119 is 1080P/60 and 2K/30.

I could be wrong, but I think the only cameras that have a real automatic Parking mode are A119, some other cameras from that brand, and BlackVue.

A119 has the parking mode so you can wire it with constant power and leave it on all the time and it won't wear out your memory card (I want it on when I am parked at some store or parking garage - but I don't want it recording at 30 fps while sitting in my garage overnight. The A119 changes modes automatically like BlackVue).

Also, A119 has a real HDR mode being tested now that could be a huge deal for night-time plate reading.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think the only cameras that have a real automatic Parking mode are A119, some other cameras from that brand, and BlackVue.
Yes, somebody insisted so much time and many times to @viofo to offer parking mode in the way it is working now. :whistle:

enjoy,
Mtz

Goluk T-3 has a buffered parking mode ;) and the vids look pretty good to me. Those who have the cam seem to like it (y)

Phil

i'm a huge fan of my A119. having said that, it's "parking mode" is subpar to many of the pre-buffered recording modes that is offered by other cameras. but that's the only thing missing for it to be perfect for someone like me.

A119 has real parking mode in the release 3.3 firmware that has been out for a few months, not just beta.

A119 with 3.3, with motion detection OFF but parking mode ON, will watch the camera when parked. If it sees motion, it will record at the frame-rate that the parking mode is set to (I have 5 fps). If it feels a bump, it goes into normal mode, and records at 30 or 60 fps. If it doesn't feel a bump for 1.5 minutes, it assumes it is parked and goes back to parking mode.

As far as if it is considered "still" a good camera. I certainly hope so, since I bought four of them last week. I have concluded it is the best choice until you spend about double. Note that the newer A119S is not a better camera. It is lower res, and also the lens is not as sharp.

The proper way to wire it is with a hard-wire kit that has a voltage cutoff in the 12.4v range. The 11.6v cutoff on most hardwire kits is too low.

SG9665GC is 1080P/30 while A119 is 1080P/60 and 2K/30.

A119 has the parking mode so you can wire it with constant power and leave it on all the time and it won't wear out your memory card (I want it on when I am parked at some store or parking garage - but I don't want it recording at 30 fps while sitting in my garage overnight. The A119 changes modes automatically like BlackVue).

Also, A119 has a real HDR mode being tested now that could be a huge deal for night-time plate reading.

sounds like that parking mode is something worth checking into then, i am not very familiar with it..

not very into hardwiring the dashcam either so i did not give that parking mode much of a thought, but if it activates only when bumped or motion detected, then i might be able to just attach it to a powerbank when i am parked at unfamiliar places.. when at home or work, i prob wont need it.

Back