Any chance for collaboration with Blendmount?

Not sure how many people are prepared to spend $100-$130.00 on rear view mirror dash cam mount, especially for a camera that is designed to already mount securely on a windshield.

Seems like a very expensive solution looking for a problem.

Not sure how many people are prepared to spend $100-$130.00 on rear view mirror dash cam mount, especially for a camera that is designed to already mount securely on a windshield.

plenty won't even spend that on the camera, I'd say their dash camera mount bracket sales aren't going to amount to much each year

Not sure what they would want to develop just the end part of the mount to fit the cam. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask .

It could provide marketing access to a higher end clientele. Street Guardian is already a high end solution. Don't underestimate what folks are willing to spend for aesthetics. Especially since a DC is now available and it's price point is at the higher end of the market. (Not complaining about price you get what you pay for, I have one on order).

I guess I'm part of the market since I'm ordering a DC, and I would also consider a blendmount hence the question.

The cost of the dash cam is a tiny percentage of the cost of my car. Overall the mount is only 25% more.

If you have money to burn, more power to ya'. The thing about the appeal of this concept that puzzles me is that it will clearly create a less stealthy installation for a wedge camera than the original on-glass design.

If you have money to burn, more power to ya'. The thing about the appeal of this concept that puzzles me is that it will clearly create a less stealthy installation for a wedge camera than the original on-glass design.

has a higher chance of vibration induced video issues also, they do look to be quite well made but not something I could ever see selling in any kind of volume, very much a niche market

has a higher chance of vibration induced video issues also, they do look to be quite well made but not something I could ever see selling in any kind of volume, very much a niche market

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the potential for vibration with this mount even with the machined aluminum components. One of the key aspects of an on-glass VHB tape mount is the rock solid connection created between the camera and the vehicle. (assuming a good tape bond). Of course, I don't need to tell you that as it's been a hallmark of your products ever since you started showing the design of the GuardTrak.

Jokiin,

It seems they do some of the marketing as well, so may be a case of additional exposure to a new market for you.

There are cars where a wide area of the windshield is obscured by the Frit dots, and sensor fairings, where the rear view mount may make sense.

I understand the vibration concern, but the other manufacturers have obviously also considered these issues as well.

If you lived in a rural area as I do, halfway up a mountain on a dirt and gravel road you would never trust a mount like this to eliminate vibrations. With a wedge shaped cam, the frit is your friend as it's best to mount the camera directly on the frit with the lens module peeking out just below. This provides for a very stealthy installation and also some sun protection for the camera.

with any design there are positive and negative attributes to weigh up and consider, I think if you live in some area where there are legality issues over sticking something to the window then the blendmount idea is a way to adapt some other product and maybe help avoid issues, it's certainly nicer looking than the other mirror mounts that sell for a few dollars online, either way it's potentially a very small market I would think and as nicely made as they appear to be it is still a step backwards in functionality and aesthetics for this type of camera mount, it is perhaps more suitable for something which was suction mounted to begin with

There are cars where a wide area of the windshield is obscured by the Frit dots, and sensor fairings, where the rear view mount may make sense.

have never seen a car where there is excessive frit that gets in the way, a larger area of frit is often a good thing as the bulk of the camera can be covered by this, some of the sensor housings can be an issue though I agree but too often I see with this type of housing that the bulk of the mirror arm is also obscured by the shroud which would negate the use of one of these mounts

in the end there is no one size fits all solution so it's about getting the right camera for a particular application

I get the impression that these mounts were originally optimized for radar detectors for which I think they'd be excellent but that the manufacturer is seeking to expand into other markets such as dash cams for which they may not be quite so ideal.

Just thought I would bring it up.

And I figured we need to start a new thread since the other DC thread is huge. Seems people forgot about the "new thread" button.

@rjoffe, I hope when you get your mount you'll post some photos of your installation and report on how well it's working for you.

Seems like a very expensive solution looking for a problem.
Agree

Expensive and too many moving parts, would be a non-starter for me. I also agree it would create a less stealthy installation.

Fast forward to 2020 and most new cars now have sensors and cameras around the rear view mirror area and there are considerable no go areas for mounting accessories inclusive of dashcams.

My research is that a mount system like the Blendmount can be used to install a dashcam a distance back from the windscreen out of the way of the sensors etc.

That's why I have just bought one, otherwise my dashcam would have to be to the extreme right/left side of the windscreen which is not ideal.

Back