Pics that make you smile

Yeah I was at a range once, plinking away with me little .22lr and occasionally the 9mm... I had just popped in a fresh mag and was lining up a shot when a huge blast of air hit me from the left. Yes it was an outdoor range, but wind doesn't work like that. I looked over and this really tall guy (at least 6' 6") with crutches/braces hanging from his elbows was holding a gold plated dessert eagle. Looked down range and his grouping was only about 2-3" wide at 20 yards, so he was very accurate with it. Said it cost about $3 every time he pulled the trigger.

The DE are a nice firearm indeed, and while it too come in a range of calibers i have always looked at is as a 357 gun, and in that caliber i prefer the Colt Python.

Desert-Eagle-chrome-p1030142.jpg

Flickr_-_~Steve_Z~_-_Colt_Target_Python_%281%29.jpg

I was about to buy 2 pythons once, but the seller crapped out when i flashed the cash to pay for them. i would have followed thru back then even if 357 are a pretty scarce caliber on the black market at least it was back then.

Always been a sucker for revolvers,,,, must the the little Texan living deep inside me that's to blame

I prefer revolvers mainly because they are a handgun. not a hands-gun. No slide to rack and if it doesn't fire on this trigger pull it will on the next one without me having to do anything else. Six for sure beats ten probablys ;) And if six isn't enough then you should be using your feet instead of your gun because moving targets are much harder for them to hit :ROFLMAO:

Phil

The DE are a nice firearm indeed, and while it too come in a range of calibers i have always looked at is as a 357 gun, and in that caliber i prefer the Colt Python.

Desert-Eagle-chrome-p1030142.jpg

Flickr_-_~Steve_Z~_-_Colt_Target_Python_%281%29.jpg

I was about to buy 2 pythons once, but the seller crapped out when i flashed the cash to pay for them. i would have followed thru back then even if 357 are a pretty scarce caliber on the black market at least it was back then.

Always been a sucker for revolvers,,,, must the the little Texan living deep inside me that's to blame
This DE was .50 Cal, thus the high price per shot. That also explains the burst of air I got - from the muzzle brake.

Not sure about the load, but just the diameter there are after all some difference between a 357 and a .50, the 357 are just a glorified 9 mm where as the .50 are 3 - 4 mm larger.

I will have to give one of those a go at a gun range on my American tour, if it ever happen that is.

The 905 i dont have to try.

The 905 i dont have to try.
I wouldn't mind popping off a few rounds with that.
I don't know much about guns but ... it really looked like a half-assed attempt at bracing that cannon.

I do not like revolvers. The trigger pull of a double action tends to pull the aim away from the intended target.
Semi-automatic for accuracy.

Yes, I know some fast guns can put multiple rounds in seconds with extreme accuracy from a 6 shooter. I am not in that class.

The muzzle of the Desert Eagle always reminds me of a locomotive.

DEmuzzle.jpg

I'm a fan of revolvers though. They can be deadly accurate in the right hands and they won't ever jam on you. My go-to home defense weapon is a .357 Ruger Security Six.

Last edited:
Not sure about the load, but just the diameter there are after all some difference between a 357 and a .50, the 357 are just a glorified 9 mm where as the .50 are 3 - 4 mm larger.

I will have to give one of those a go at a gun range on my American tour, if it ever happen that is.

There's the 357 revolver and the 357sig semi auto -- I have the 357sig. It takes the same slug/bullet as a 9mm so you could say it's a glorified 9mm but it is quite a bit more powerful with higher MV and ME. In fact, a 357sig is more powerful than 45ACP and most 45ACP+P.

Brian

When Ed McGivern took up exhibition shooting he could place 5 shots into a hand-sized group at 15 yards in 2/5 of a second :D He used a double-action 38 Spl revolver to do this because auto's couldn't cycle fast enough (and they still can't). Jerry Miculek is another one who is amazingly fast and accurate with revolvers.

While none of us mere mortals here can do that stuff it does show the possibilities. Up close and personal, a revolver is plenty accurate and the long trigger pull an asset in reducing the chances of an accidental discharge which happens a lot when a shooter is highly stressed ;) For longer shots a good single-action trigger job can reach the 2 lb range with most revolvers; a level few autos can attain safely. And loads for a revolver can vary from mild to wild without making any adjustments for functioning.

I like both, but when I was most active in the shooting sports the revolver was king- no autos could match the power levels one could get from a revolver. And being a handloader, revolvers were much more user-friendly for me too. The world has changed quite a bit since then but a good man with a good revolver is still a formidable weapon that can do the job any handgunner will ever need to do :cool:

Phil

When Ed McGivern took up exhibition shooting he could place 5 shots into a hand-sized group at 15 yards in 2/5 of a second :D He used a double-action 38 Spl revolver to do this because auto's couldn't cycle fast enough (and they still can't). Jerry Miculek is another one who is amazingly fast and accurate with revolvers.

While none of us mere mortals here can do that stuff it does show the possibilities. Up close and personal, a revolver is plenty accurate and the long trigger pull an asset in reducing the chances of an accidental discharge which happens a lot when a shooter is highly stressed ;) For longer shots a good single-action trigger job can reach the 2 lb range with most revolvers; a level few autos can attain safely. And loads for a revolver can vary from mild to wild without making any adjustments for functioning.

I like both, but when I was most active in the shooting sports the revolver was king- no autos could match the power levels one could get from a revolver. And being a handloader, revolvers were much more user-friendly for me too. The world has changed quite a bit since then but a good man with a good revolver is still a formidable weapon that can do the job any handgunner will ever need to do :cool:

Phil

I'm glad to see you mention the oft overlooked issue of stress in a real world self-defense situation. Years ago I underwent some self defense training from a man named Massad Ayoob who taught me the most important lessons I've ever learned about personal protection. Too many people who own firearms for self protection have a skewed mental image learned from watching too many movies and TV shows of what will really happen during a situation where they might actually be faced with having to use a firearm to defend themselves. The reality is far, far different. You would be under tremendous stress with adrenaline gushing through your body. You would be sweating, your hands would be shaking, you would be breathing heavily, your heart would be pounding and your vision would be slightly compromised. This will all be happening at a moment when you need to make a critical life or death decision that will have far reaching consequences while at the same time having to successfully use your firearm with the best precision possible. Even many law enforcement officers with years of training have been known to drop the ball under such circumstances.

For these reasons I was taught that a revolver with appropriate stopping power is by far the best primary self defense weapon, especially in a home environment.

Under a high stress situation a revolver will always fire - immediately. You will never have to question or make sure you have a round in the chamber. You will never have to worry or stop to remember if the safety is engaged. The gun will never jam on you at a critical moment.

Virtually all self defense situations where a citizen needs to use a firearm will happen at close enough range to achieve deadly accuracy for even the average person who has had basic training and has acquired the appropriate skills. Virtually every self defense situation that involves the discharging of a firearm is over and done with after two rounds have been fired, three at the most. The notion that the average person is going to be involved in a running gun battle requiring a semi-automatic firearm with a high capacity magazine is a fantasy that comes from watching TV and movies.

I own a few nice semi-autos but a revolver is the one I would reach for at 3 o'clock in the morning if I awoke to an emergency.

If you can find a copy I highly recommend Ayoob's classic book - In The Gravest Extreme:
The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection

Last edited:
Ouuuu thats some beast :eek: one flick of the tail and you will be on your back, and dinner.

I'm glad to see you mention the oft overlooked issue of stress in a real world self-defense situation. Years ago I underwent some self defense training from a man named Massad Ayoob who taught me the most important lessons I've ever learned about personal protection. Too many people who own firearms for self protection have a skewed mental image learned from watching too many movies and TV shows of what will really happen during a situation where they might actually be faced with having to use a firearm to defend themselves. The reality is far, far different. You would be under tremendous stress with adrenaline gushing through your body. You would be sweating, your hands would be shaking, you would be breathing heavily, your heart would be pounding and your vision would be slightly compromised. This will all be happening at a moment when you need to make a critical life or death decision that will have far reaching consequences while at the same time having to successfully use your firearm with the best precision possible. Even many law enforcement officers with years of training have been known to drop the ball under such circumstances.

For these reasons I was taught that a revolver with appropriate stopping power is by far the best primary self defense weapon, especially in a home environment.

Under a high stress situation a revolver will always fire - immediately. You will never have to question or make sure you have a round in the chamber. You will never have to worry or stop to remember if the safety is engaged. The gun will never jam on you at a critical moment.

Virtually all self defense situations where a citizen needs to use a firearm will happen at close enough range to achieve deadly accuracy for even the average person who has had basic training and has acquired the appropriate skills. Virtually every self defense situation that involves the discharging of a firearm is over and done with after two rounds have been fired, three at the most. The notion that the average person is going to be involved in a running gun battle requiring a semi-automatic firearm with a high capacity magazine is a fantasy that comes from watching TV and movies.

I own a few nice semi-autos but a revolver is the one I would reach for at 3 o'clock in the morning if I awoke to an emergency.

If you can find a copy I highly recommend Ayoob's classic book - In The Gravest Extreme:
The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection

Having Massad Ayoob teach you was awesome, their is no one better! The things you said above (very well said) are absolutely the truth. I have always advocated the purchase and use of double/single action handguns for citizen personnel defense/hunting, war is a whole different ball game though.

My favorite fast draw person is Bob Munden. He passed away many years ago, but I have never seen anyone who had his speed and accuracy with a revolver.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back