My car has been repeatedly scratched, I'm looking for some dashcam advice

Melba

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and hoping to find some advice. My car has been scratched a few times now, I live in a terraced street so it's every man to himself. Every time I park in a certain place my car gets scratched. I'm 99% certain who it is but want to catch him in the act. I'm after a motion sensor night vision cam for the back and the front of the car that is discreet. Is this an option? Thanks in advance.

Newer dash cams have good night time sensitivity. You may want to check the comparisons and look for one with parking mode. This will allow longer record times than constant recording.

https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2017/

The trouble is that parking mode needs a constant power connection.

Welcome to the forum Melba

It sound like that one place seem to have a person considering it his private place.

you will need some light in that parking space to be able to use a dashcam, and then pray there are no rain droplets or dew on the windscreen.

Since you already know who the perp is, this is the only solution.

dirty-harry-44-magnum.jpg

Now that you are here Melba, i will be a gentleman and ask for your permission to "bite" into your peachy version a little later today.
You are my favorite taste :whistle:
HE9QFqxRAcOVoKwE-Z9t7X5AS74SQbGFJqtIuXTW0duI1qPN-5Oo8GwJsxeBY5Ea9goLA8Aj6BQPoK2Znnfpn0AWZQ7Fm7dIojpB2rpaArhK207lw1_I9ePz4COppcGcoakmVNPGx2uUkVrLNQQXQO1-OExA4SypU_PerE0m1k5PxpxwtCtXURAmMUmF4wIEqhCp7XSuQlNL4XDc097RTlKhiyTzdpPuE0mM_YiVhBhFtzX6qtpPH7eLRPGaoDpJR6If6lNFb0AsWUwOawmHPB92Qsx3vLFrqOckybScismMwCARPVHYDpUdN3xNmKd-s1qj_INxL38K51XnYYQm3KFQvXioMLn3JyZk8gbIPx2yzO3b3DE7YqmD_JBDvzuiYRNZDIacnJr-aj1rwxel_4Ft0Dr-EB5xU800u6CNPSF8q1Huw4fyMAFtxNkWWtp9xVeexnHyrTZg3iz0C1M_Z8hsIoOuziT5XgYEdmW-DVVQhditQ9P7visfKPO5PzzjiYox4L_nc3D_E-aqYnsHoSaG8PGHGpp6hwtv0qHgw-RyI_k7N72q-gK9KrRCGbjoKHpqPQxLTpc1NMIkepBfa8uGGJjFFWrondKAuK01RQ=w1263-h947-no

Newer dash cams have good night time sensitivity. You may want to check the comparisons and look for one with parking mode. This will allow longer record times than constant recording.

https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2017/

The trouble is that parking mode needs a constant power connection.
Thanks for the advice, I will take a look into this.

Now that you are here Melba, i will be a gentleman and ask for your permission to "bite" into your peachy version a little later today.
You are my favorite taste :whistle:
HE9QFqxRAcOVoKwE-Z9t7X5AS74SQbGFJqtIuXTW0duI1qPN-5Oo8GwJsxeBY5Ea9goLA8Aj6BQPoK2Znnfpn0AWZQ7Fm7dIojpB2rpaArhK207lw1_I9ePz4COppcGcoakmVNPGx2uUkVrLNQQXQO1-OExA4SypU_PerE0m1k5PxpxwtCtXURAmMUmF4wIEqhCp7XSuQlNL4XDc097RTlKhiyTzdpPuE0mM_YiVhBhFtzX6qtpPH7eLRPGaoDpJR6If6lNFb0AsWUwOawmHPB92Qsx3vLFrqOckybScismMwCARPVHYDpUdN3xNmKd-s1qj_INxL38K51XnYYQm3KFQvXioMLn3JyZk8gbIPx2yzO3b3DE7YqmD_JBDvzuiYRNZDIacnJr-aj1rwxel_4Ft0Dr-EB5xU800u6CNPSF8q1Huw4fyMAFtxNkWWtp9xVeexnHyrTZg3iz0C1M_Z8hsIoOuziT5XgYEdmW-DVVQhditQ9P7visfKPO5PzzjiYox4L_nc3D_E-aqYnsHoSaG8PGHGpp6hwtv0qHgw-RyI_k7N72q-gK9KrRCGbjoKHpqPQxLTpc1NMIkepBfa8uGGJjFFWrondKAuK01RQ=w1263-h947-no
:ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the forum Melba

It sound like that one place seem to have a person considering it his private place.

you will need some light in that parking space to be able to use a dashcam, and then pray there are no rain droplets or dew on the windscreen.
Thanks, that's a fair point, I will park as near to a lamp post as I can whilst still near to where I normally park.

Thanks, that's a fair point, I will park as near to a lamp post as I can whilst still near to where I normally park.

parking in a well lit area is generally safer also, the cover of darkness is not an advantage you want to give them

My car got vandalized too when i sold my house and moved to this apartment, but i changed P spot to the back yard and then i put a CCTV camera on the car.
I cant use parking mode on a dashcamera as the back yard are totally black, but my CCTV camera have good IR light so i see everything in the dark.

Home CCTV is probably a better bet, for one, bigger memory capacity, constant power

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and hoping to find some advice. My car has been scratched a few times now, I live in a terraced street so it's every man to himself. Every time I park in a certain place my car gets scratched. I'm 99% certain who it is but want to catch him in the act. I'm after a motion sensor night vision cam for the back and the front of the car that is discreet. Is this an option? Thanks in advance.
It is more better to get one IP security camera to monitor your car;

Dashcams are a poor substitute for real security cams but sometimes it's all you can really do. Which cam you chose is also dependent on whether you have further use for it (such as using it for a dashcam :rolleyes:) Various solutions are available. Being that 'motion detect' and 'g-sensor' functions involve a delay before recording starts with the cheaper cams, my choice is to leave one or more cams recording constantly. The average car battery can probably sustain one cam for 6-8 hours' after that you get battery damage and even a flat battery. There are devices which prevent that damage by monitoring the battery voltage and turning the cam off before damage occurs ;) There are also pre-buffered cams with 'parking mode' which are chosen for this use but they are the more expensive models, and some of them don't do well at night :eek:You can also use a powerbank to run your cam when parked which is a popular power solution :) Also there are no cams offered that work without some light and the more the better. Built-in illuminators do not work- that light must be from a source outside the car. Currently the best low-light cams use the Sony Exmor sensors which also do OK in daytime.

For constant recording, if you're looking for the cheapest cam to do this reliably I recommend the G1W-S. Against it is it's size and shape which isn't very discreet. If front coverage is all you need the A19S is a good choice.

If budget is no issue then Blackvue has cams with an excellent pre-buffered parking mode but their after-sales service is bollocks :( Goluk T-3 pre-buffers at a much better price :D Neither does a great job a night but may be good enough for your situation.

So give us a little more info on what kind of lighting you can count on and which direction(s) you need to cover then maybe we can recommend something more specific to your needs. And welcome to DCT!

Phil

For serious surveillance, I'd go with a proper WIFI security camera, like a Netgear Arlo etc. Downside: They're not cheap for just a one time surveillance etc.

For a cheap solution: Did you know there are smartphone apps with motion detect etc? You could experiment with one and setup your phone with a larger USB battery or so, so it can do its job for an evening.

WIFI security camera

Yes but there are one issue with the ones you mention, they are meant for looking at something close, so if there are some way to where the car are parked then you can just see a person walking up to the car.
You need to be zoomed in or have the camera close to make sure you can capture identifying features, this is why the camera on my car ( 20 M from my camera ) are at Zoom level 7, so my whole car fill the frame and only people up close to it get captured.

Normally i am zoomed in a bit tighter on my car than in the video above.

Too bad Melba are all the way over there and in my refrigerator in liquid form, or i am sure i would be able to devise something for her to borrow until her vandal are captured.

Back