First dashcam SG9665GC V3 - in India

Ravi_M

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello there,

I am a member of DCT for over an year and been searching for my first buy and was considering SG, VIOFO, Mobius, Transcend, Vantrue, SJCam and so on. I was keen to have parking mode, but finally the discrete shape and best support of SG and the praises from members made me to go for SG. It was costing me Rs25k+ from Amazon.in, but thanx to Streetguardian USA's offer, I now own this dashcam. I installed it some 2 weeks ago and have checked day and night clips with CFL. T me they look good. I shall post a few for your comments soon.

I am yet to install the GPS and set the time etc., but the rest of installation was smooth, be it cable routing, fixing the sticker for camera & cable guide and frequent attaching and detaching of camera.

Hope to use it soon for some trip beyond the city limits.

Thanx again streetguardianUSA.

Ravi

Hello there,

I am a member of DCT for over an year and been searching for my first buy and was considering SG, VIOFO, Mobius, Transcend, Vantrue, SJCam and so on. I was keen to have parking mode, but finally the discrete shape and best support of SG and the praises from members made me to go for SG. It was costing me Rs25k+ from Amazon.in, but thanx to Streetguardian USA's offer, I now own this dashcam. I installed it some 2 weeks ago and have checked day and night clips with CFL. T me they look good. I shall post a few for your comments soon.

I am yet to install the GPS and set the time etc., but the rest of installation was smooth, be it cable routing, fixing the sticker for camera & cable guide and frequent attaching and detaching of camera.

Hope to use it soon for some trip beyond the city limits.

Thanx again streetguardianUSA.

Ravi
Great choice!

Reviving my old thread, because I couldn't find an information through SEARCH. Maybe it is hidden deep somewhere, so I am asking directly.

I received, as a friendly gesture, a VIOFOA119S from Harsh, a well-known member of DCT, two months ago and I need to fix and power it at rear of my car. I got the USB cable & two-port cig-lighter tap-off. with the camera.

I have two issue to sort, rather three -
1.Fixing at rear - Harsh gave some tips for that (using adhesive tape), but I am looking for a magnet, since I would need to remove it occasionally. I shall buy a magnet.
2. Memory card - I am buying Samsung Evo Plus grade U3, 64 GB (128 GB costs three time - 3.2 k in place of 1 k as compared to 64 GB)
3.USB cable to power my SG9665GC from the VIOFO's two-port tap-off.

The first two I have sorted in a sense, but your comments are welcome.

The third is where I am stuck. How to order it? I couldn't find any standard product on Amzon. They offer some short lengths. What length should I ask for & is that available as standard product? Any category of USB cable to be specified? Or do SG / VIOFO offer spare USB power cable? Or that would be costlier than the commonly available USB cables?

Advise me.

Ravi_M

the two port charger is unlikely to power both cameras without issue, would be better to hardwire the V3 using the power lead we supply, the 12v to 5v converter is on the box on the cable, not in the cig plug so you can cut the plug off for hardwiring

Oh, a quick response! Thanx jokiin.

Tell me if I got it right - 1. I remove the SG tap-off from cig-socket and plug-in the VIOFO tap-off there to power rear camera only.
2. I cut the SG tap-off part from the cable that is connected to the black box (12 v to 5 V converter) and connect the two wires thus exposed to the available terminals in my car's
fuse-box to power my SG.
I think that sounds logical and a way out of the spot. But then I would need a battery protector circuit!! What about that?
And suppose, I don't want to indulge into permanent powering (as there isn't any parking mode in my dashcams!), is there any way out?

Thanx in advance guys!

you can cut the cig plug off our power supply (or just open it up and disconnect the wires if you may want to reuse in future) and you'll find red and black wires, black to ground and red to an accessory switched circuit in your fuse panel and you're good to go, I think @Harsh may have a link to a local forum there where hardwiring has been discussed at length

@Harsh
I saw the last link (your DIY), but not in all details, but it will help me in powering my GC. The above picture is from your GC V2 kit, right?

Now, wrt the post from Jokiin above, do you mean to state that I shouldn't modify the existing GC's (my SG9665GC V3) 12v-5v adaptor to connect it into the fuse-box? Instead, I should buy a new power cable (as shown in picture above) and use that, such that my original GC's accessory remains available in any future need?

The link is for VIOFO accessory, but your VIOFO already has the USB connector CIG-socket cable. So what or from what source should I buy the suggested power cable?
Alternately, should I put the VIOFO A119S in front with permanent powering kit and my GC at rear?

Please advise.

@Harsh
I saw the last link (your DIY), but not in all details, but it will help me in powering my GC. The above picture is from your GC V2 kit, right?

Yes

@Harsh
Now, wrt the post from Jokiin above, do you mean to state that I shouldn't modify the existing GC's (my SG9665GC V3) 12v-5v adaptor to connect it into the fuse-box? Instead, I should buy a new power cable (as shown in picture above) and use that, such that my original GC's accessory remains available in any future need?

Could do it either way.

@Harsh
The link is for VIOFO accessory, but your VIOFO already has the USB connector CIG-socket cable. So what or from what source should I buy the suggested power cable?
Alternately, should I put the VIOFO A119S in front with permanent powering kit and my GC at rear?

Please advise.

Entirely up to you, I'd put the A119S in the rear.

Additional Mini-USB cable is for the 2nd camera (if not hardwiring).

https://www.viofo.com/accessories/6...or-viofo-a119-a119s-car-camera-490-items.html

Okay, so buying a spare cable will be better.

But, the link you gave (also gave this in your earlier reply) is from VIOFO. Are there any other sources where I get it in Rupee payment? Also don't we have any source who supply the Street Guardian accessories? Of course, these must be same for all, though.

I accept your advice to use SG9665GC at front. I too prefer that.

However, your last suggestion of mini-USB cable (and first in earlier reply) has some issue. Jokiin wrote, an I quote, "the two port charger (2-USB outlet Cig-tap-off, the one I got with A119S) is unlikely to power both cameras without issue". What do you say on that?

Okay, so buying a spare cable will be better.

But, the link you gave (also gave this in your earlier reply) is from VIOFO. Are there any other sources where I get it in Rupee payment? Also don't we have any source who supply the Street Guardian accessories? Of course, these must be same for all, though.

I accept your advice to use SG9665GC at front. I too prefer that.

Brand doesn't matter, it's a good quality Mini-USB cable (22AWG).

However, your last suggestion of mini-USB cable (and first in earlier reply) has some issue. Jokiin wrote, an I quote, "the two port charger (2-USB outlet Cig-tap-off, the one I got with A119S) is unlikely to power both cameras without issue". What do you say on that?

Try the included charger with the A119S on the 2.1A port and the GC on the 1A port, should be fine. If by any chance there are power related issues, get a 2 port charger that's capable of 2A or more on both ports.

For example - https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-Charger-Apple-Android-Devices/dp/B06XD7QSMS

@ Harsh, sorry to bother, but I am lost again.

I looked into the issue again and noticed that my GC has only one Cig-lighter plug cable and none with USB-A as power feed. I need a long USB-A to micro USB-B cable. I tried to order through the VIOFO link you shared, but it tells 14-28 days for delivery, so can't go for it (some 9 USD).

Now I am searching similar 4 m long cable or another cig-socket plug to micro USB-B cable, such that my GC cable remains there to fall back.

Any comment?

LIHAN Car Charger Adapter, 2 Socket Cigarette Lighter Splitter& Dual USB Port 12/24V Voltage Display Compatible iPhone,ipad,Tablet,Galaxy,HTC,LG
Is this good for me @Harsh?

Hi @Harsh, wish you the best on this festival of lights! I feel very bad for the smog news shown on TV daily.

Down here, I got busy with the online procurement last week, which is highly unusual for me.

I could buy 2 Samsung Evo Plus grade 3 cards of 64 GB each on Amazon and used them in the two dashcams (GC & A119S). I was stuck for the long USB cable to power them. I tried ordering from VIOFO link that you sent, but it was taking 14-28 days, though not costing around Rs 800. I need this week. However, I went ahead and ordered, but it didn't go through and showed some error, even on repeated attempts. So, I dropped the idea.

However, while I looked and looked for the same, I tried the cameras with existing armour. I powered GC through Cig lighter socket through its own cable and the A119S from the USB port given in the glove-box. I was searching for magnets, but then got few from my daughter's old project kits. I even tried to use the GPS mount (sent by you with A119S), but its red sticky layer wont peel-off without pulling the whole tape off the GPS mount. There was enough space on the rear window above the defogger lines to fix the mount. But then, I could hang it there using magnets. This also kept it under shade of the rear roof. I found both dashcams powering up as we drove off. Every time, I stopped and started the car, they were seen getting ON. I haven't checked the videos yet though.

Then I searched for cable on Amazon.in. I was considering multiplying my sockets and had asked your advice. I couldn't get the LIHAN one (see earlier post), but then ordered TELSAR make charger after finding some good comments. I also ordered a 6 feet USB-A to USB-B cable on Sunday. Both orders showed to take a week to arrive, precisely the day when I leave. I was keeping my fingers crossed, but got lucky and my wife informed this morning that the charger has arrived. I shall check that and report back.

So long!

Ravi_M

Interim report -
I connected the TASLAR charger to cig-socket and the GC to its output socket. There is a ON/OFF button, On putting it ON, GC became ON, but immediately a message appeared 'Format card with option to select YES / Cancel with default 'Cancel' selection. Pressing menu button, display became normal, but showed 'NO GPS'. Then I connected the GC to car cig-socket directly, but still the same response. The battery voltage shown on TASLAR was 12V & output as 5 V. Can it be due to stationary car? I shall check it further in the evening.

Ravi_M

I changed the card from earlier Samsung Evo Select (grade 1) 32 GB (bought last year) to Samsung Evo Plus, grade 3, 64 GB bought last week only. I never did any 'Format' process on it.
What to do now? I am going to read it first anyway (if it works) to see my videos of the past weekend.

when you put the card in the camera it will prompt you to format it automatically, do that and you're good to go

if you have formatted the card in some other device you should reset it to defaults first, then format in the camera before use

Back