Be wary about your USB port

Not true for cyclists. Many of us who record do so continuously. My normal rides last 3.5 to 4 hours. My longer rides (to San Diego) last as long as 6 hours. I use the skeleton case and an Anker Powercore 5000 to give me enough recording juice. BUT, I recommend a zip tie or other strain relief on the external USB cable, so that it does not bounce around and/or exert lateral forces on the USB port.
I guess I was thinking of uses where it really needs to be 100% waterproof, or in uses like on a mountain bike or race car where an hour of recording time is plenty. I'm not saying there aren't cases where you want external mic or more battery - I participated in the threads where people use their action cam as a dashcam, and the one where people were making their own cables to be able to charge and use an external mic at the same time, like where Jon from @Street Guardian USA was using it in a plane so it would record audio from their headsets.

I guess I was thinking of uses where it really needs to be 100% waterproof, or in uses like on a mountain bike or race car where an hour of recording time is plenty. I'm not saying there aren't cases where you want external mic or more battery - I participated in the threads where people use their action cam as a dashcam, and the one where people were making their own cables to be able to charge and use an external mic at the same time, like where Jon from @Street Guardian USA was using it in a plane so it would record audio from their headsets.

I understand. It is off-topic, but as I was looking at the comments and the member profile boxes on the left, it occurred to me that the user group is pretty diverse. RC drones and handheld uses have no need for an external cable. Other uses need to be waterproof. Some need extended battery life (and the 128 GB microSD card). Even as a cyclist, some just like to record scenic portions of their routes, whereas others of us do continuous recording as evidence in case of an accident. I shared a clip of a driver on the wrong side of the street with facebook and the Orange County Sheriff. (I was able to move between parked cars and avoid getting hit). Once, I proved to my skeptical wife that I had seen a roadrunner in Camp Pendleton. In sum, it may not be a "one size fits all" discussion.

Agreed. On some Android forums I have been personally slammed and called names numerous times because I dared to say that I won't buy a phone that doesn't have an SD card slot, and that has a sealed battery. I always buy an extended battery for whatever phone I get. In fact, I shop to make sure a higher capacity replacement battery with case exists before I buy the phone. Yes, it means I don't have the latest and shiniest phone, and that it's thicker and heavier, but those are pluses for me. Makes the phone feel less like a toy and under very heavy usage I can easily get a day and a half out of a single charge. Normal usage is 3-4 days.

I hadn't ever really thought about motor/bi-cyclists using them as dashcams for more than an hour at a time, but it makes sense. Sure there are other options that may be better but not at this price point.

Unbelievable that people will argue with what someone else prefers, but I see it all the time. I'm waiting for someone to review a pair of shoes and insist that only the size 11 are any good because the rest don't fit right. As for actioncams, I have had pretty good results with the Mobius Actioncam, although two of the original model failed on me after 8-10 months, IIRC. The Actioncam 2 (latest model) had a USB port problem after about 6 months, and again at 10 months, but novotm fixed it twice. I am using it now with the USB cable zip tied to a bracket, as a strain relief. I expect that GitUp will send me a replacement camera soon, and I will put the replacement into use when it arrives, moving the Mobius to other duty.

Don't take me wrong but i came here searching for people with the same problem.
When i saw that the GitUp guys where here, i thought that i should mention that I'm in the same situation but with all the talk, probably my post will stay forgotten.

Don't take me wrong but i came here searching for people with the same problem.
When i saw that the GitUp guys where here, i thought that i should mention that I'm in the same situation but with all the talk, probably my post will stay forgotten.

GitUp contacted me and offered a replacement board or camera. Have you had contact with GitUp? Their web page has a form you can use to request service. Good luck.

Update: Yesterday, I received an Email from GitUP informing me that a replacement would ship that day. I will update this post when I receive the replacement.

Back