GPS receiver questions

klatch

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v2, A119S, A118C
A few questions regarding the GPS receiver/antenna for the v2 camera:

I assume the GPS receiver needs to be (after I flip it) on a window that is somewhat horizontal (windshield/rear window) and not straight vertical (side window) right? This camera is likely a rear camera but I don't want the receiver on the rear glass as both vehicles are essentially hatch backs and I don't want the movement on the cords (especially in the Canadian cold when cords get firmer/brittle).

Assuming it needs to have some vertical exposure, I may need to try to run the cord to the front windshield - how long is the cord with the v2? Can I extend it with some other cord?

I recall instruction to locate the receiver away from the camera. I have A119S cameras int he front of the vehicles so I assume I should locate the receiver away from those also. In one vehicle I have a Sirius/XM radio antenna/receiver on the windshield where I would otherwise locate the gps receiver - would locating it there cause interference for the gps or the sirius/xm radio?

I have a V2 camera and extended the GPS cable with a 3.5mm stereo headphone extension that is 10ft without issue.

A few questions regarding the GPS receiver/antenna for the v2 camera:

I assume the GPS receiver needs to be (after I flip it) on a window that is somewhat horizontal (windshield/rear window) and not straight vertical (side window) right?...
I have a couple of A118C's I'm using as side cams and the GPS units for those are mounted vertically for 2 reasons: 1) I really have no other option and 2) they're working well enough and I'm too lazy to figure out something better. :D By working well enough I mean that it can sometimes take a few minutes to establish a GPS lock and it's not unusual to lose the lock with just a slight amount of interference - like going under a long underpass. I'm not real concerned about continuous location tracking on the side cams, just using the GPS to keep the date/time correct.

I've also inadvertently mounted the GPS unit for my SG9665GC upside down and the only noticeable effect was it took longer to get a lock but once it did it appeared to function normally.
...I don't want the receiver on the rear glass as both vehicles are essentially hatch backs and I don't want the movement on the cords (especially in the Canadian cold when cords get firmer/brittle)...
I have a rear hatch and haven't had any issues with the power cord for my rear cam flexing in temps down to -20F. Just make sure there's enough slack so there are no sharp bends when the hatch opens and you should be OK.

...In one vehicle I have a Sirius/XM radio antenna/receiver on the windshield where I would otherwise locate the gps receiver - would locating it there cause interference for the gps or the sirius/xm radio?
I have the same in my rear hatch glass and haven't had any interference.

Last edited:
Back