Anyone use the Blackvue 650?

Vixox

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been looking to get a dash cam after a couple close calls in the last few months and am currently thinking about the Blackvue 650 after reading some reviews. Seems like a pretty good option to go with, albeit on the expensive side. Does anyone have this camera and have any feedback on it? Thanks!

Much appreciated, thank you!

I've been looking to get a dash cam after a couple close calls in the last few months and am currently thinking about the Blackvue 650 after reading some reviews. Seems like a pretty good option to go with, albeit on the expensive side. Does anyone have this camera and have any feedback on it? Thanks!

My experience with the Blackvue DR650s has been as follows:
  • Extremely Poor Customer Service (refuses to respond to emails now)
  • Video quality that is not true 1080p (regardless of bit rate or frame rate advertised)
  • Rear Camera resolution and brightness insufficient at night under low light conditions
  • Video downloads from Cloud nearly useless (too slow)
  • Inconsistent Cam-to-Cloud connections through good 4G Hotspot
  • Cloud Viewer MapView (Google Maps) no longer loads with error (no technical support solution)

Product returned for replacement in roughly 30-days.

- Would I buy another DR650s? No.
- Would I recommend others to buy the DR650s. No.

DR750s sent as replacement. The DR750s has improved Camera-to-Cloud connection consistency however, still lacks a high enough level of consistency to be considered useful for mission critical applications, IMO.

DR750s Rear Camera does have better overall image quality however, still does not come close to true 1080p resolution regardless of bit rate or frame rate used/advertised as capable.

DR750s "Enhanced Night Vision" is abysmal and only serves to further downgrade the cameras overall performance both front and rear cams. I've had to completely disable "Enhanced Night Vision" just to obtain bearable image quality in recorded video.

DR750s streams video through Cloud Server and its Wifi connection better than the DR650s and this improvement is noticeable. However, the DR750s still takes too long to stream video to a device via the Cloud and thus, makes the service hopelessly frustrating for real world mission critical use, IMO.

Product retained through 60+ days.

- Would I buy another DR750s. Yes.
- Would I recommend others to buy the DR750s. Yes.

Summary

If you want or need (as in my case) Cloud coverage all the way around, then the DR750s is the only option on the market right now until Thinkware gets its act together with its F-800 Pro. At this point, I have drastically lowered my expectations of the Blackvue products and doing so has enabled me to keep the cameras in place for now.

Why would I recommend others to buy the DR750s? Only if they NEED or DESIRE Cloud Coverage would I recommend purchasing the Blackvue DR750s and for no other reason.

Simply put, I own the DR750s and now have a requirement for a Cloud Enabled 4-channel system that completes the 360-degree coverage loop. Again, there is nothing else out there that will close that loop for me other than another DR750s system combined with the one I already have installed. Could I use another Blackvue cam? Yes, but I don't want to mix and match CMOS image processors.

Suggestions

- Cellink Battery B (removes camera system from car battery as power source)
- Hardwire system through fuse panel if possible (clean install less susceptible to damage)
- 128GB Micro SD Card (format outside camera using Macrorit or equivalent)
- Prepare for a total lack of direct support from Blackvue should something go wrong
- Lower expectations for Image Quality and Overall Product Stability

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back