Dual Dash Cam for Girlfriend driving Uber?

Bushman123

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys my girlfriend wants to start driving for Uber. In fact she has done a few already.

I told her it is a good idea to get a dash cam to film the cabin and road ahead.

Can someone on here with your experience and expertise please recommend a dual – cam for us to install and a Mazda Sedan? Something that films the interior and road ahead. It is not too hot here in the summer.

We live in the USA and I don't mind hard wiring the power in the headliner.

Thanks so much.

Thanks Jokin. I was reading about it this morning.

The Transcend DrivePro 520 has poor amazon reviews and very expensive at $199 compared to some of the others.

Why do you recommend this one? Thanks for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Dont put too much fait on amazon reviews ( good or bad ) some ppl make a living on making those, its a borderline industry by now it seem.

I dont have anything to help you, not much into the 2 in 1 cameras, but experimenting with smaller cameras i found the inside one need some form of assistance in regard to lighting ( IR light )
For daytime any little camera like the mobius will be fine, but at night it seem like a car get too dark inside to get good footage.

Thanks Kamcar. Good points. Only day uber driving for safety, so maybe that will make it easier for her to find an inside camera. Not a lot of dual camera options out there.

I carry the 520 model with the suction mount. If your interested in that one I can get it to you for $189.99.

Hi guys my girlfriend wants to start driving for Uber. In fact she has done a few already.

I told her it is a good idea to get a dash cam to film the cabin and road ahead.

Can someone on here with your experience and expertise please recommend a dual – cam for us to install and a Mazda Sedan? Something that films the interior and road ahead. It is not too hot here in the summer.

We live in the USA and I don't mind hard wiring the power in the headliner.

Thanks so much.

What state do you live in? I'd make sure it's legal to voice record and film without consent, or just be prepared to ask. I'd personally get 2 separate cameras just in case someone says they don't want to be filmed, then you can unplug the one facing outward, while the one facing the road continues to record.

Good question. We're in CA. Most every cab and uber driver has one here. No one ever ask you. Some have a small sticker on the window when you enter that says video recording is taking place. Very discrete.

Yeah I'm not sure why the DrivePro 520 has strange Amazon reviews. We just started carrying this on our site and our last customer was thrilled. I even helped get http://dashcamviewer.com to make it be compatible for picture in picture dual channel viewing.

Thanks Pier. I'm skeptical of the bad reviews now. I know you guys understand these cameras better then the general public, so I will gladly take your word over theirs.

I think a sticker on the window is good enough for consent. If you enter the car, you allow consent.
Screenshot_2016-03-13-08-39-36_zpsipidkoqj.png

Perhaps I just air on the side of caution, but consenting to me means verbal or in writing. Additionally English may not be every ones first language.

If you like to tinker around, why not try CF-100.
Just find a place where you could place the 2nd camera, although not sure how the 2nd camera would perform when recording inside the car.

I just posted something about this and I just saw this =). Form factor, mounting and discrete are really important things I would consider. I don't think suction cup is going to cut it as it keeps falling off at least on my windshield. What I like best is the a118c form factor because it's easy to mount and discrete. Would one have to have a sign on car stating that they are being audio and visually recorded?

Would one have to have a sign on car stating that they are being audio and visually recorded?
Laws vary by state but generally video is OK in public. Audio is the problem as each state handles that differently.

For something like Uber/Lyft/Taxi recording it would be wise to consult with your attorney. That cost is a business legal expense and therefore is deductible ;)

Phil

Can you do the internet way, so a sticker would "read by entering this car you consent to video and audio being recorded"
Then off course one could argue over sticker size and so on.

You really have to find out locally. Private signs and stickers mean nothing here and recording audio here without consent is a felony crime :eek: Only stores and buildings normally accessed by the public may use signage for consent here, This will vary wildly elsewhere from no consent needed to a signed written document :whistle: Even if not charged, having illegally obtained audio on the card may render the entire recording (including the video) inadmissible as evidence :( Very important that you know and follow the law with your recordings in the US :cool:

Phil

Back