USB power cables, pictures, interference

KvR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Panorama S with GPS & CPL – Panorama II – MateGo MG380G
I am rather tired of power cables causing interference on my car radio. So yesterday, I opened them all and made pictures of the printed circuit boards.

The first one is labeled as Model JSK-050150. No suprise that this one is absolutely without interference:
IMG_2043_N.jpg

Maybe, someone knows the manufacturer of this excellent power cable?

This is the interior of the power cable that came with my GT300W. It is labeled as Model D1A15 and is causing medium interference:
IMG_2044_N.jpg

Solution from FoxOffer:
The noise might because of the long cable, if we ship you another long cable one that might cause same problem. Could you please try use some small metal soft tube to cover the cable, that it should avoid affect the car audio. And please don't put the cable in a circle shape, don't put the cables in twine.

The next cable is a no-name from AliExpress. I have the model with the 3.5 mm plug. The housing is similar to the GT300W power cable but the pcb is different. It also causes medium interference:
IMG_2045_N.jpg

Then, I tested some other adapters with shorter cable or USB socket:

► The Kensington PowerBolt™ Duo Car Charger causes medium interference.

► The Nokia DC-20 also causes medium interference. Disappointing for an adapter with Nokia on it.

► The older Nokia LCH-12 is causing no interference at all. Old model still going strong, also without interference in combination with the Nokia Charger Adapter.

This one is without interference if it is inserted directly in the cigarette lighter socket. But it is causing light interference if used with this Pro Car Triple Power Socket.

Two items are currently on the way to the Black Forest.
For my GT300W:
CPT Car Power Supply Module DC 8-22V to 5V.

And for my GPS navigator:
aiv Car Charging Cable. According to an Amazon buyer it should be without interference.

To be continued ...

Last edited:
its like power supply projects , its need more filters like first one

second one is clean inside , its a joke call it a noise suppressor.

Re: USB power cables, pictures, interference (part #2)

Yesterday, I received this power cable together with my second GT300W:
IMG_2047_N.jpg

It is labeled as Model HY-810T15 and seems to be handy with the switch button. But it causes heavy interference on my car radio once it is switched on. It is clearly inferior to the power cable Model D1A15 that came with my first GT300W. Which is somewhat surprising after opening the screwed and glued adapter housing:
IMG_2048_N.jpg

Then another adapter with shorter cable that I already mentioned in post #1:
IMG_2046_N.jpg

This aiv Car Charging Cable Item No. IS120503 is without interference if it is inserted directly in the cigarette lighter socket. But it is causing light interference if used with this Pro Car Triple Power Socket. The inside looks nearly as good as the interior of the first adapter in post #1.

Now, I am waiting for the CPT Car Power Supply Module DC 8-22V to 5V.

Last edited:
I tried all cables in two cars, one with an older Grundig SCD 3490 RDS car radio, the other with a brand new Alpine CDE-136BT on a lonely place somewhere in the countryside. I tuned in to a weak FM radio programme from abroad that had already some light noise. Then I connected the dashcam or GPS with the power cable to the cigarette lighter socket. In this way, it is very easy to determine if a power cable causes interference. The bad ones "attenuate" the radio signal and there is more noise on the radio programme. With the good cables there is no extra noise. The worst combination was the DVR027 dashcam with the original power cable. Weak stations completely disappeared in the noise and strong stations became background noise.

I did not use any technical measuring equipment, just my ears in a quiet environment.

no surprise usually the power adaptors are not made by the same people who makes "good video quality" cameras

Re: USB power cables, pictures, interference (part #3)

The CPT Car Power Supply Module DC 8-22V to 5V arrived:
IMG_2049_N.JPG

Contrary to the information of the seller, this cable also causes medium interference.

It is really difficult to find a car power supply 12V to 5V without interference. :(

Last edited:
My ls300w don´t causing any interference , dunno what power supply it uses.

I just installed a DR32 in a 2007 Ford Escape, and the interference from the USB power adapter made the FM radio unusable. The radio had static like the antenna was disconnected when the power adapter was connected.

Fortunately I had another USB adapter on hand, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Car-Cigare ... 5d41f3813d I spliced this adapter in to the same cable and it eliminated 90% of the static. I think it could be improved even further with a shielded USB cable, but I had already run an unshielded cable.

Attachments

• Q01005-4.jpg
    Q01005-4.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited by a moderator:
I finally found a car charger without any radio interference: Wicked Chili Car Charger
It was bought for my Nokia cell phone but now I am using it with my GT300W dashcam since it is without any static.

Last edited:
This is a very late reply to the thread, but it may help, I hope so. It seems that most of these USB step down plug/ USB sockets are inherently noisy, causing audio and video monitor interference. It's the circuitry in the car lighter USB plug itself, not the cable.

I fitted a 12 Volt circuit to my otherwise all 24 Volt mobility scooter to provide power for a rear view camera (mighty important in Paris and in particular when driving it in busy shops or backing out of lifts).
It worked very well other than interference on the monitor, so I fitted a small clip-on ferrite ring to the MONITOR power cable and as close to the monitor as possible, which immediately cured the problem. These ferrite ring clips cost cents and can be bought from Radio Shack or.... China ...where else? They worked perfectly for me, and as my next mobility scooter gadget is a GPS tracker, and many people are having problems with those too, I'm hoping that a ferrite clip on its USB power cable will help with that too.

A tracker on a mobility scooter? Yes, sadly they are stolen, and also I think the SOS button is a great idea in this city. The other evening I drove my scooter around the Arc de Triomphe in the evening rush hour it was most definately a "once in a lifetime experience". Incidentally almost everything I've bought from china has been a big success, well designed, well made and works, as well as being remarkably cheap and with free shipping - it's a bit frightening really.

It's an old topic, but has anyone tried one of these? http://alfatronix.com/products/view/11

A bit more expensive than the Chinese offerings, but I'd hate to hardwire my cam and find out later that's its causing interference....

Hello Guido 66, I don't think that your camera or its monitor will cause you problems, especially if you are hardwiring them in. If you power them, or anything else using the same circuit as a cigar lighter socket fitted with a USB PLUG, that plug may very well cause interference on your screen - see my other post here for the likely solution. Hope that helps.

The clip-on ferrites can be had from many computer stores and car audio shops. They are universal in design so work with many devices. In some situations having two next to each other works when one alone isn't doing enough. Other times having one at or near to both ends will work. If you have excess cable length, do not make neat coils of the same size- vary the loop diameter for each round and don't have 2 cables with these loops next to each other. Avoid looping wherever possible; better to just stuff the cable into the space. Keep cables as far apart as possible and try to avoid parallel cable runs.

These are the basics in avoiding and repairing interference with cabling whether for vehicles, at home, or wherever ;)

Phil

Back