Removing ring cap from mini 0806?

Perhaps. I really didn't look at that USB connection on the circuit board when I had it opened. My recollection is that there are four pins in the mount, but I don't know what each one does. Perhaps somebody else does.
I think only three are connected: +5V, GND and DATA out from GPS.

So is it possible that the +5v or GND pins are not working, but the GPS data is which is why the GPS is still functioning when the 0806 is powered directly?

So is it possible that the +5v or GND pins are not working, but the GPS data is which is why the GPS is still functioning when the 0806 is powered directly?
If the GPS and camera are working while the power cable is plugged into the camera, then all pins are fine. If the camera is not working while cable is plugged into the GPS, the USB port on the GPS is damaged.

I may have a spare GPS mount laying around, but it's mixed in with some non-GPS mounts. Is there an easy way to tell them apart?

It has to be more than weight or its your shout

Yes, that is correct. I have the same behavior on both of my units, although my rear dashcam has a problem getting a GPS lock. Could be the mounting angle.
Well, you you were right on the button re the problem being the mount! My 806 has been working happily
for over three weeks now and not one glitch or hiccup! I recently reviewed the footage and although I can't seem to get the map trace up using qtplayer.exe (I get a message 'you are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API. Consider changing your browser'... I'll have to do some tinkering) the coordinates stamp on the video is registering and the gps folder has all the respective data files.... So it appears the gps unit in the mount is functioning happily, drawing power via the camera! Thank you very much for pointing this out! You've saved me an unnecessary dismantling job and even better a lot of grrrring whilst driving!
Re your issue with your rear unit not getting a gps lock... I'm sure it must have occurred to you already but the only thing I can think of is you don't have demisting elements in the rear window that might be scrambling the gps signal?

Cheers,
Ianzy.

Back