Newbie to Dash Cams

DeniseR

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought the Garmin 45, and have a question probably asked a hundred times. I decided to pull the SD card from the camera and see how well the camera records, but found that it is only recording in 1-minute increments. I thought it would be a long video. I replaced the original SD card with a 16 GB card. Am I doing something wrong? In order for me to watch any videos I would have to watch many 1-minute videos. Not 1 long one.

If you select 10 files and drag and drop them onto your video player then it will probably play all 10 in sequence, almost as one single video.

Some... most i think dashcams you have some choice in the size of the video segments, i think most of us use 3 minute in size.

You can splice the multiple video segments together to a longer video with a editor, or you can use the program dashcamviewer that will sort arrange your videos according to driving sessions, and you can output the files you select as one big file.
Same program can also deal with the overlap that might be in the footage ( many have a 1000 ms overlap between 2 consecutive files ) this are also done automatic once selected, and the format / settings of the video will remain unchanged.

Last edited:
Off course if its just playback on the computer then you can highlight XX of the video files with the mouse ( left button ) the clock on the highlighted files with the right mouse button and select play, this should then play all the files in the right order.
I mostly do this though it is rare i playback several files, i mostly copy off the SD card a single or 2 files to get the incidents i need for my post processing in pinnacle studio 20 ultimate.

My brain have since my last posted flashed something about Garmin only having the option for 1 minute files, this matter little of there are no overlap on the files you can drop XX of them into any edit tool to output them as one long file, if they do have a overlap "RV" is a good tool to use.

As you can see in my little video above, even with 3 minutes there are room for a lot of them on a 128 Gb memory card, but bulk in this way i can handle just fine.

Welcome to DCT :)
A quick reading of the online manual does not show any options for file time length, so you may be stuck with the 1 minute files.

There are several choices of viewers (most can be downloaded for free) which will automatically show the selected files consecutively so the 1 minute length won't matter.

There's a forum here specifically for Garmin and you might get better answers posting your questions there. We don't have a lot of Garmin users here yet but the numbers are growing as these seem to be pretty good cams. @lacibaci seems to be quite knowledgeable with Garmin- maybe they can help ;)

Phil

Back