Partition settings on F770

AmyB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone attempted to modify the partition settings beyond the mere three pre-configured options? I assume the answer is that this can't be done, but I thought I would ask anyway. I mostly use my dash cam for parking mode, and even with a 128GB memory card using the type C partition setting that provides the most space for parking mode, it's not anywhere near enough for my needs. I have a careless and irresponsible neighbor who constantly damages my car, and while I try to inspect it daily, sometimes it takes me a couple of days to notice something. With this camera, it appears that in such a situation, the files I would need will be long gone, having already been written over several times.

I'm afraid I may be stuck with a camera that simply can't do what I need it to: contain parking mode files long enough for retrieval within a couple of days of a potential incident that was only caught through motion detection (not having triggered the G sensor). Any thoughts on potential workarounds? Thanks in advance!

As far as i'm aware the 3 presets are all that can be done sorry!

What about turning on Time Lapse recording and changing the partition settings to 'C' (i think that gives the most parking space on the card) as time lapse is only 1 frame per second the file sizes are much smaller and when you playback it takes 2 minutes to watch 30 minutes of footage.

As far as i'm aware the 3 presets are all that can be done sorry!

What about turning on Time Lapse recording and changing the partition settings to 'C' (i think that gives the most parking space on the card) as time lapse is only 1 frame per second the file sizes are much smaller and when you playback it takes 2 minutes to watch 30 minutes of footage.
I do have the partition settings on type C, but I will give the time lapse recording a try and see if it better fits my needs. Thanks!

As you might know already, you can also check Dual Save on the cam itself if G sensor picks up the incident.

Has anyone attempted to modify the partition settings beyond the mere three pre-configured options? I assume the answer is that this can't be done, but I thought I would ask anyway. I mostly use my dash cam for parking mode, and even with a 128GB memory card using the type C partition setting that provides the most space for parking mode, it's not anywhere near enough for my needs. I have a careless and irresponsible neighbor who constantly damages my car, and while I try to inspect it daily, sometimes it takes me a couple of days to notice something. With this camera, it appears that in such a situation, the files I would need will be long gone, having already been written over several times.

I'm afraid I may be stuck with a camera that simply can't do what I need it to: contain parking mode files long enough for retrieval within a couple of days of a potential incident that was only caught through motion detection (not having triggered the G sensor). Any thoughts on potential workarounds? Thanks in advance!

I totally agree with you that an Option D or a flexible option be made available for those of us that need more parking file space. Time Lapse doesn't do it for me since the activity flies by so fast you miss who hot hit who. I would rather save my battery and record only the activity picture up by the F770 and not see 10 hrs of fast moving garbage. Thinkware was made away of this modification to their viewer so now we wait to see if they do anything about it.

Cheers

they are not actual partitions, they are just folder size restrictions which will be a simple setting in some file, if we can find the file then replace it with a modified one then we can easily change it... ..finding the file, changing it and replacing it are slightly more tricky tasks :)

(thinking about it it might be slightly easier than that, the PC viewer changes the settings on an SD card which then gets uploaded in to the camera on boot, so we just need to find the correct portion of the settings file to make the changes too.

Does the g sensor work even if the camera isn't on but is hard wired? So parking mode isn't activated but someone bumps the car enough to activate the g sensor, would this record or not?

Not if parking mode is off it wouldn't as the camera will have completely shut down.

I take advantage of this discussion about partition settings:
Last night I entered a 128 gb sd card into the slot of the F770. I had set the c mode for which I would have expected at most 6.4 GB of recording (5% of the memory) instead I found 18 gb of files in parking mode. I can not explain this inconsistency, I ask: it happens to you?
Thanks

Last night I entered a 128 gb sd card into the slot of the F770. I had set the c mode for which I would have expected at most 6.4 GB of recording (5% of the memory) instead I found 18 gb of files in parking mode. I can not explain this inconsistency, I ask: it happens to you?
Thanks

I thought this was about right, from memory partition C is 15% of the memory for parking mode files so that would be around 18gb.

Hi "Maddog1974",
Maybe I forgot to specify that it is the parking motion folder. In this case the memory partition results in a percentage of 5% and not 15% which instead is reserved for the incident recording in parking mode folder.
I'm very confused.

C has 5% for impact triggered recording and 15% for motion triggered recording (both in parking mode)

What I dont understand is why theres 15% assigned for Incident Recording in Continuous mode, do people play pinball with their cars or enter destruction derbys

Last edited:
Thanks

I like the tables which can be seen here

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/sd-card-memory-partitioning-thinkware

Gives a good indication of what time you can expect to record on each mode for each partition. I would assume for a 128gb it would be double the time of the 64gb.

I thought this was about right, from memory partition C is 15% of the memory for parking mode files so that would be around 18gb.
Hello THINKWARE,

If I am sending this email to wrong department or person, then please give me a favour and forward this email to relevant department/person/manufacturer/CEO/designer/programmer/quality controller or anyone responsible for firmware updates.

I am a big supporter of Thinkware and its products.

Can you please increase the parking motion detection partition limit of F770 in your next firmware update. I bought this camera for parking purposes only.

In other dashcams i.e Blacksys, Blackvue etc. you can manual assign the limit. it is not fair to have only 15% option available.

We could use this dashcam to keep an eye on quite car park entrance, office doors, garages, properties etc. and use this dashcam as mobile temporary CCTV unit in the car.

Attachments

• Type_C_large.png
    Type_C_large.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 9
Hello THINKWARE,

If I am sending this email to wrong department or person, then please give me a favour and forward this email to relevant department/person/manufacturer/CEO/designer/programmer/quality controller or anyone responsible for firmware updates.

Can you please increase the parking motion detection partition limit of F770 in your next firmware update. I bought this camera for parking purposes only.

In other dashcams i.e Blacksys, Blackvue etc. you can manual assign the limit. it is not fair to have only 15% option available.

We could use this dashcam to keep an eye on quite car park entrance, office doors, garages, properties etc. and use this dashcam as mobile temporary CCTV unit in the car.
Hey, this site has nothing to do with thinkware and they are extremely unlikely to monitor users posts here, unless its my posts that circumvents their business model by offering free software upgrades!)

Maddog here works for a distribution company for thinkware products and whilst he is here to help users with issues, answer questions and provide good customer service to his customers, he isn't a representative of Thinkware proper.

I would suggest popping on to their facebook page or their website but don't hold your breath, the single biggest fault with thinkware and to be honest, possible one of their only faults, is their after sales support, updating's are lacking, feature improvements are almost non-existent, feedback hasn't been listened too other than reducing the annoying "mobile speed camera zone" warnings, in fact the quickest response we have seen from them is when they patched their updates to prevent F750 owners from upgrading to the F770 (yes it is the same device) so whilst I feel your pain, and a customisable "file system" would be a good new feature, I suspect the only time you will see it is when they release a new product :(

Dee_82 is bang on. I try and help where i can as i am also a Thinkware Camera fan! We also have a great relationship with them and several times a year they send a couple of staff members from S.Korea to shows in the UK with us (Usually Joey & Brian). We have never had a company support us so much with any product in the past! In this instance i feel your message would be better sent to support.uk@thinkware.com (This is Thinkwares Official Technical Support channel in the UK run by TMTI (Talk Me Through It)). They do listen and improve as much as possible, for example i'm pretty sure soon you will be able to disable the Mobile Speed camera alerts completely, the F800 has a UK Voice option!

Hello THINKWARE,

Did you ever get any reply from Thinkware on this?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R F770 0