Use of eye-FI SD card in dashcam

CMDCTN

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am considering getting a dash cam but concerned about two scenarios ...

(1) Police confiscate dash cam and use video against me
(2) After accident the other driver simply removes dash cam while I am unable to respond

I would like to have the video stored remotely from the camera in a concealed location. I would think these would be common concerns and that dash cam manufacturers would have addressed this but having the camera transmit video via an encrypted wi-fi signal to a remote receiver that would house the storage (SD card).

Sending video to a remote location does not seem practical to me given high bandwidth needed and dependency on cellular data connection.

I recently heard about a "eye-FI" card:

"Eyefi's Mobi Wi-Fi enabled SD cards wirelessly send photos and videos taken with just about any camera (as long as it uses SD cards for storage, of course) straight to a smartphone, tablet or computer."​

Has anyone used one of these or something similar with a dash cam to address the two scenarios I listed above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Most dash cams use micro SD cards so that function isn't available.

i have a similar product called FlashAir from toshiba. i have not used it on any dashcam but it is in use in one of my mirrorless cameras.

it's not a practical solution to offloading video footage to a mobile device because it is not an automated process. it requires the user to connect to the SD card's wifi and interact with an app to get the footage from SD card to smart device.

it would certainly be possible for a developer to code that functionality but current real world transfer rates via WiFi are just not fast enough for big video files, yet.

Use a discrete wedge-type cam... AND buy a cheap/broken dashcam off ebay or somewhere similar to use as a decoy

cops/scumbags can then confiscate/snatch the wrong cam :D

Use a discrete wedge-type cam... AND buy a cheap/broken dashcam off ebay or somewhere similar to use as a decoy

cops/scumbags can then confiscate/snatch the wrong cam :D
I like the way you think. (y)

I like the way you think. (y)

Damage limitation! I'm a very vigilant person :D

ANOTHER thought just popped into my head... when the cops return your broken dashcam.... charge them for "breaking" it :D

Subterfuge and subversion are fun sometimes :) I've got a dead G1W-C mounted inside my workvan along with the 4 functional cams. Plus the sign next to the rear cam tells them they've been uploaded to the cloud which hasn't happened but they think it has ;) The chances of losing your control of your cams post-crash are small. The cards are tiny and easy to hide. I'll probably have time and opportunity to swap cards in the cam before someone else can access them and I've got spares ready for easy access :D If there's going to be something on the cam you don't want the cops to see, turn the cam off before it happens then turn it back on when you're legal again. Your cam is a two-edged sword so wield it with proper care :cool:

Phil

I thought that you cant give evidence against yourself, so you recording your driving cant be used that way.

I am working on pulling the cops legs here, what i do is have a picture on my tablet that are a picture of the UI on the polices new radios so one could think i have a radio / tablet that can listen into their system.
So if any cop spot it they pretty sure want to investigate maybe take my tablet, so i have a old 4 Gb memory card and a set of pliers in my car so if i get pulled over i can pretend to take SD card out of tablet and cut up that card in front of the police and say the software was running off that memory card.

Okay this might cost me a broken door window if they try to get into my car before i destroy the "evidence" :D

I thought that you cant give evidence against yourself, so you recording your driving cant be used that way....
Common misconception - you cannot be compelled to testify and possibly incriminate yourself, physical evidence is an entirely different matter.

Yeah.

I have heard of cases where people doing B&E and then use that homes computer to check up on their ( the thief ) facetwitt account, just about as stupid as forgetting your phone or wallet at a place you break into :rolleyes:

Just go to prove the common gene pool need a good high pressure cleaning.

That article is from 2013 (old news) and the company's site no longer exists. I wonder why... :whistle:

their site is now http://www.eyefi.com/

I couldn't afford the EyeFi cards as they're a bit expensive so I bought the alternative from Toshiba. I find them to be very useful. a lot of cameras now have built in wifi and apps to transfer media to a mobile device but my Olympus O-MD E-M5 doesn't have that built in. this card is a great alternative for someone likes me who likes to edit without having to be on a PC.

I clicked the link on CNET's article. Anyway, it's a product only suited for photos, that's why the WiFi works "well". I doubt it very much that the "lightning speed" transfer advertised by them, between the card and the recipient device, would be enough for large streams of 1080p video.

I clicked the link on CNET's article. Anyway, it's a product only suited for photos, that's why the WiFi works "well". I doubt it very much that the "lightning speed" transfer advertised by them, between the card and the recipient device, would be enough for large streams of 1080p video.

i occasionally use my Olympus for 1080P recording since the image stabilization is quite good. and you're absolutely right about how slow it is to transfer 1080P videos via WiFi. i always end up using a card reader for anything more than a short clip.

Back