Expensive selfie

Sabe

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Dash Cam
G90, GT300W, Mobius A, C
170 euros taken by police, actual police speed cam picture.
Speed limit was 30 kmh because of roadwork that was going on about a year already and there was nothing going on at the moment, but since government is short of cash this is one way to raise money.
What is really eating me up is that it was up to one kilometer do i get warning or 170 euros ticket and i was 1 kilometer over that magical limit.
M6A7231.jpg M6A7305.jpg Image1.jpg

Good CPL, removing the reflections from your windscreen but keeping the reflection of the flash on your sun glasses!

It says you were 33% over the limit, not 1km/h...

Those cars are nicknamed moneymakers here.
In 2015 the first year with the new ATK cars they made 80.952.145,76 ( 81 million ) USD and there was spent 80.000 manhours in the cars ( not manned by cop now, but they was back in 2015 )

This are the amount in DKKr for speeding fines leading up to 2015.

2010 - 195.212.319 DKkr ( 195.2 millions )
2011 - 199.001.357 DKkr ( 199 millions )
2012 - 288.957.919 DKkr ( 289 millions )
2013 - 387.122.120 DKkr ( 387 millions )
2014 - 283.255.934 DKkr ( 283 millions )
2915 - 516.430.571 DKkr ( 516.4 millions )

Do remember we are just 5.7 million people here, and we are not all driving all the time.

Clearly the Danes speed a lot, and i cant really argue with that, so the more effort you put into it the more fines you will write.
Before 2015 where most police precincts got around 10 ATV cars each we had far lesser such cars and manned old school speed controls, and so they made far less, though the numbers do indicate a rise around 2012 / 13 i can only assumed the police have been using the existing ATK cars a lot more back then, cuz even back then we where lacking cops a lot as they been assigned to other stupid tasks by the politicians.

I have not been able to find any numbers for 2016 and 17, but i can only assume those numbers are still way past 500 millions, and i think the politicians say 600 millions have to be made that way every year, clearly indicating they are moneymakers as it dont seem like Danes learn to drive slower becuz of the ATK cars.

The business end of a Danish money maker. ( German made system )
12143221-atk.jpg

Last edited:
Good CPL, removing the reflections from your windscreen but keeping the reflection of the flash on your sun glasses!

It says you were 33% over the limit, not 1km/h...
That 40 kmh is my true measured speed but in finland when police measure your speed with any technical device first they make so called "technical reduction" of 3 kmh to lessen any errors and whinings making my official speed to 37 kmh, if my speed would have been 36 kmh they will send me written warning but since my speed was 37 they send me a ticket of 170 euros fixed price. Fixed price works on small end of speedings, on higher speed ticket gets much more expensive. 2 years ago fixed ticket price was 80 euros but our current government rised that to 170.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any working speed cameras around here for ages except for one set of average speed cameras on a steep hill where they are justified. We have swapped to using speed signs that light up and flash when you are above the limit, they are much more effective at slowing people down than the hidden ones that give fines and they cost far less to run!

That is the best solution if goal is to make people drive safely,
but here this money that police make is part of government budjet.

That is the best solution if goal is to make people drive safely,
but here this money that police make is part of government budjet.
The last government to increase the numbers of speed cameras here collected too much in fines and got voted out of power, the new government changed the guidelines so that other methods of improving safety get used first, which is why I now don't see any working ones, although the old ones are still about, just not working and we have a lot more of the friendly ones that light up.

Yes, those "temporary" speed limits to cover road works are interesting to say the least. A major road near me had a long stretch where the limit was reduced from 50mph to 30mph for works. I noticed it was there for somewhere between 6 months and a year, and it was probably there before that. I NEVER saw any sign of work happening, just some cones along the edge of the road (no lanes or hard shoulder blocked off or anything like that.) I suspected it was a stealth trial scheme that would lead to a permanent low speed limit, but one day the whole lot just disappeared.

I haven't seen any working speed cameras around here for ages except for one set of average speed cameras on a steep hill where they are justified.
I like those average speed systems. They reduce the risk of getting caught out by momentarily going too fast while you are dealing with a real life situation, rather than looking at your speedo. (Plus my sat nav helpfully tells me what my average speed is over that distance! :D)

But you still get a huge number of people just blasting through. Either they don't grasp the concept of average speed zones, or they have fake number plates so they don't care. I suspect it's the latter, which is worrying because there are so many of them.

Last edited:
But you still get a huge number of people just blasting through. Either they don't grasp the concept of average speed zones, or they have fake number plates so they don't care. I suspect it's the latter, which is worrying because there are so many of them.
I think they get caught, each average camera system catches many 1000s each year. Because you never see people getting caught, there are no flashes, people don't see the risk, and because the fine arrives in the post many days later they don't learn to associate the punishment with the action. In other words, when it comes to the people most likely to offend, the system is totally useless as a deterrent!

Clearly there and here, its not smart people we have elected to be in charge :(
One local politician just defaulted his place in the up coming elections and the party he was in, seem like he like better to be at gang bang parties than doing his work in the town he was elected.

The closer you look at the comings and goings and doings and donts of these people, its clear that the average voting Joe get screwed over again and again.

Maybe ditch democracy in favor of majority vote, off course then we all have to vote often but at least we will have our self to blame instead of voting for people that we think / assume will have out interests at mind.

Maybe ditch democracy in favor of majority vote, off course then we all have to vote often but at least we will have our self to blame instead of voting for people that we think / assume will have out interests at mind.
Last time we tried that we got Brexit, and we still haven't sorted out the mess caused by that 1 vote!

It can get things done that the politicians would never attempt, but you don't want to try it too often and you have to remember that most of the people voting really wont have a detailed understanding of the issues, normally it is better to leave decisions to the experts, even when the experts have many flaws, and hope that the majority of experts are correct!

It can get things done that the politicians would never attempt, but you don't want to try it too often and you have to remember that most of the people voting really wont have a detailed understanding of the issues...
True. A few years ago we had a number of 'BS' issues on the ballot. Most were there through the efforts of special interest groups and were obviously not in the best interest of the general population. Fortunately the voters saw through all the 'smoke and mirrors' and they were defeated at the polls. The unfortunate thing is there was one issue also on the ballot that was really good but ended up also being defeated because of 'guilt by association' rather than being decided on it's own merits.

There's a fair number of these here
Fast-870-40MPH.jpg

They're fairly effective at getting people to slow down :cool: Many of the small towns will have a radar-equipped Cop just past these since this one sets off radar detectors and you won't have time to react to the Cop's radar. plus now you have no excuse to be speeding :rolleyes: SC was well known for speed traps once. An investigative TV report said the city of Mauldin had a 5 year annual operating budget surplus which was solely from speeding tickets :eek: Conway may still be that bad (You have to pass through there to get to Myrtle Beach just beyond and tourists have money to pay speeding fines :(). A friend of mine kept his Mauldin ticket for doing 43 in a 40 zone in 1974; the fine was $140 which was huge back then. That was an entire week's wages for me in my entry-level job back then :oops: Public pressure and tax revenue from a business and housing boom got Mauldin calmed down but they still give no leeway when running radar traps where everyone else gives you at least 4 over and many won't pull you till 10 over. Local School zone enforcement is bi-level; 2 over is about double a normal speeding ticket and anything past that doubles again. Personally I think that's a good thing ;) Highway work zone enforcement is usually slack but when it happens there's an additional $200 added to your ticket; another goodcthing as we have about a dozen road-workers killed statewide each year.

Phil

Apparently they're planning to raise the speed limits at roadworks here to 60mph! (To ease congestion.) Why even bother with the reduced speed limit? A worker getting hit at 60 isn't likely to do any better than getting hit at 70.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Here they banned bull bars on 4 x 4 cars, as if a person care about that getting hit by a truck.

All filter back to stupid people voting for stupid people :oops:

Back