Best Viofo (a119 or a119s) for reading plate number

vinfer

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
Rexing V1
Hi. I discovered this forum on google, and i found on it very useful information.
Actually i have a Rexing V1 cam, but i'm not satisfied with reading the plate number in low light. So i want to buy a Viofo 119 or 119s.
So my questions:
For reading plate number is better a 119 with high resolution (2k but 30fps) or a 119s with low 1080p resolution but better field of view (135°) and sensor aperture?
In general, which Viofo is better for reading license plates with driving for 50% in the evening and 50% in the morning?
Thank you guys.

Hi. I discovered this forum on google, and i found on it very useful information.
Actually i have a Rexing V1 cam, but i'm not satisfied with reading the plate number in low light. So i want to buy a Viofo 119 or 119s.
So my questions:
For reading plate number is better a 119 with high resolution (2k but 30fps) or a 119s with low 1080p resolution but better field of view (135°) and sensor aperture?
In general, which Viofo is better for reading license plates with driving for 50% in the evening and 50% in the morning?
Thank you guys.
A119S will be better at night.

Welcome to DCT

A119S will be better at night.
Edit: This is at night time.
At red light or when a car passing by slowly, you will be able to see the plate, most of time your headlight will over expose the plate because of the reflex, so you can't read it.

Day time, no problem with reflex.

Last edited:
Having had both cameras I found the A119S to be better at reading plates

And the CPL filter also helps with Dashboard reflection, general glare and brightness of headlights, street lights etc.

I originally favoured the A119 due to the higher resolution and better picture quality during the Day ... but ended up getting the A119s, probably because of the better more natural colour night vision rather than the yellow of the A119 which I didn't particularly like.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys...you are very helpful.
Yes Viking, in fact one of my problems is that the headlights illuminate the plate making it unreadable cause overexposure.
I know that this is not solvable, but I hope to get a bit better result with the A119 / A119s than the Rexing V1.

So my questions:
Thank you guys.

Welcome to the Forum

Thanks Rayny2e.
Just an update: i just ordered an A119s

Sometimes it can be difficult on your movie clip to see license plates on moving vehicles.
I use a technique that sometimes helps improve the view.
When I’m reviewing the movie clip I click on pause when the plate is nearest to me.
I was surprised how many times I was able to read all or most of the digits on the plate.

Sometimes it can be difficult on your movie clip to see license plates on moving vehicles.
When I’m reviewing the movie clip I click on pause when the plate is nearest to me.
I was surprised how many times I was able to read all or most of the digits on the plate.

many players like VLC will let you skip through individual frames. that makes things a bit easier.

I also put the video on full screen then pres Imp pant on the keyboard, open irfanview and put paste..

then i zoom in where the plate is, sometimes i can catch few more details that way.

Thanks for your replies guys...you are very helpful.
Yes Viking, in fact one of my problems is that the headlights illuminate the plate making it unreadable cause overexposure.
I know that this is not solvable, but I hope to get a bit better result with the A119 / A119s than the Rexing V1.

the new HDR mode works very well for reading plates when headlights illuminate them.

Some videoplayers (I like VLC a lot) can enhance sharpness, albeit slightly, actually its more of an enhanced contrast, but set that aside and you have another option to enhance reading license plates. But beware, almost NO dashcam can read license plates from upcoming traffic, and the reflection of the license plates is a real thing, and speaking the license number out loud in the car is a GREAT idea!!

Back