Just stopped recording; anything I can try?

olanmills

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this BlackVue 550 2-channel working great for over two years, however, recently, it just will no longer record. When I turn it on, it still boots up and says, "BlackVue, for your save driving!", but then it never says, "Starting normal recording" (or whatever it usually says). The blue GPS light stays on steadily (which is not normal for me, since I almost never get a GPS signal because my windshield seems to block it), but the blinking orange recording light never starts. If I leave it on and then check the SD card later, there are no videos on it. Except for recording, it seems to respond normally. I have tried formatting the SD card, and so if I put in a freshly formatted SD card, it will say "Formatting the SD card. Please do not turn off the power." I have also tried installing the latest firmware, and that seems to succeed too.

I may have ruined it by accidentally leaving it on for several days in a row (but it was indoors and it was not hot weather).

Is there anything else I can try before giving up on it?

And I guess, if it comes to that, which of their newer models support the same power cable connector (and power requirements) and the rear camera connector? I have the power cable spliced directly into my 12V accessory line, all hidden behind the paneling and stuff, and the rear camera connector is also routed through the interior of the paneling in my car. If I did have to replace the dash cam, it would be nice if I could just plug in new front and rear cameras using the existing cables (not to mention that would save me a good bit of money on the professional installation).

Most all have the same power cable. Some have different mountings as they are a different diameter

What voltage was it on when indoors Needs 12v 1amp to run off a power supply as I found out when trying a 500milliamp one

It runs off of the 12V line. According to the manual, it consumes a peak of 4.8 W of power, which is 400 milliamps at 12 V.

It runs off of the 12V line. According to the manual, it consumes a peak of 4.8 W of power, which is 400 milliamps at 12 V.

It may well do that but tried to run it on a 500mamp supply and it wouldnt run. Have had several apart to fix and had problem getting them to start up. Changed to a 1 amp supply and had no more trouble.
Im no electrician but found out what works and what doesnt

Back