Where and how did you mount rear camera?

melted_zpsn9ni3dlc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, this is one of those ridiculously cheap dashcams....

But, you have to hand it to them. After a week sitting in the 40+ degree heat parked in the full sunshine, I noted the plastic has somewhat warped.

But it still works.. the camera, screen and chip..

Its mounted on a short camera stem, with a modified GoPro mount to slide over the kids car seat mound, and then tightened up with a nut and bolt.

I put it there over winter, forgetting entirely about the heat. I was going to have the screen facing the tailgaiters, but the camera is so hard to see in daylight due to the angle of the rear glass..

Ben

For those that installed a regular dash cam for the rear, which power source are you using to plug the camera to? I'm trying to locate an ignition switched power source near the rear window, just want to get ideas where to look.

Thanks.

Last edited:
For those that installed a regular dash cam for the rear, which power source are you using to plug the camera to? I'm trying to locate an ignition switched power source near the rear window, just want to get ideas where to look.

Thanks.
What vehicle?... it makes a difference. I have a switched 12V outlet in the rear seat area that I use, but not all vehicles have one of those.

It's a Jaguar X-type (or any car in general since I need to do this for a few friends' cars as well). I was thinking that perhaps I can tap into the car's wire harness that plugs into the signal or reverse light since these only turn on when ignition is on. Just need to identify the wire.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

I used an adhesive pad found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272072360360 (I ordered two in case I messed up mounting one of them but you can order just one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371504967631)

I then mounted it to the exposed metal of my boot hatch, its a very good mounting position.
mount.jpg

It delivers decent footage for a cheap dashcam.
vlc_2017-11-16_14-39-16.jpg

Here is a pic from the inside when the hatch is closed.
20171117_031310.jpg

Last edited:
Back