Clear windows

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
If you don't have a garage for your car, on cold mornings there will be ice or at least condensation on the inside of your windscreen.

Has anyone any recommendations for keeping windscreens clear?

I have seen the YouTube video for spit, Colgate, onions ,bought products etc, and the best home made one was Colgate - but believe me, it sure didn't work for me in my car like it did in that vid (a poet and didn't know it)... :)

So, what do you use to keep your windscreen from steaming up?

You''re better off just cleaning the condensation off from the inside of the windows each morning.
You'd be surprised how much residual film builds up, before you really notice it with the naked eye.
I keep an old towel in my truck for this purpose, but also end up cleaning the windscreen interior daily with glass cleaner.
(Usually when the sun hits it at the right angle to show my how filmed up it is, even though I wiped the condensation off that morning)
:)

I guess it depends on where you live. In Northern Alberta internal condensation is not a problem.. on the outside of course it is a different problem dealt with brooms and scrapers. To keep condensation at bay inside you need to keep the temperature above what it is outside.. so, some remote starters can be programmed to start the car every few hours.. or lacking that.. perhaps your wife could....... :censored:

I'm trying shampoo today :)

Same principle as shaving foam/cream though.

Will see what it does... :)

You don't need any of the gimmicks mentioned nor do you need any of the stuff mentioned in any Youtube video

You need to just make sure you've cleaned the inside of the glass properly with ANY decent glass cleaner or a water/vinegar solution as you would with any window, then make sure it's completely dry, then the most effective way of clearing it is just with the car's own heating.

The reason it becomes more of an issue is that wiping condensation off the glass with cloths on a cold morning, or those STUPID demister sponge pads, is that they don't dry the glass and you can find that the following morning not only is the screen fogged but it's actually wet, with visible drips near the bottom of the glass and on the dash, as mentioned, its because of residual moisture

My mum uses those stupid demist pads no matter how many times I tell her

THIS IS THE BIT PEOPLE OVERLOOK!! Make sure there's NOTHING damp left in your car, like a coat, or a cloth, and make sure that your car's scuttle panel drain holes are completely clear of leaves, because water builds up on a lot of cars and piddles into the footwells from behind the dash. (on some cars even the bulkhead seals can fail and let water in.

The air inside your parked car at this time of year will NEVER EVER be 100% dry and you'll always need to clear the windscreen (using the car heater fans) but the dryer you keep it, the more manageable the film of condensation will be, and the quicker (and cleaner) it'll clear, without residue

You don't need any of the gimmicks mentioned nor do you need any of the stuff mentioned in any Youtube video

You need to just make sure you've cleaned the inside of the glass properly with ANY decent glass cleaner or a water/vinegar solution as you would with any window, then make sure it's completely dry, then the most effective way of clearing it is just with the car's own heating.

The reason it becomes more of an issue is that wiping condensation off the glass with cloths on a cold morning, or those STUPID demister sponge pads, is that they don't dry the glass and you can find that the following morning not only is the screen fogged but it's actually wet, with visible drips near the bottom of the glass and on the dash, as mentioned, its because of residual moisture

My mum uses those stupid demist pads no matter how many times I tell her

THIS IS THE BIT PEOPLE OVERLOOK!! Make sure there's NOTHING damp left in your car, like a coat, or a cloth, and make sure that your car's scuttle panel drain holes are completely clear of leaves, because water builds up on a lot of cars and piddles into the footwells from behind the dash. (on some cars even the bulkhead seals can fail and let water in.

The air inside your parked car at this time of year will NEVER EVER be 100% dry and you'll always need to clear the windscreen (using the car heater fans) but the dryer you keep it, the more manageable the film of condensation will be, and the quicker (and cleaner) it'll clear, without residue
+1

I let the defroster do the work. My old van doesn't produce a lot of heat overall, but it produces some heat quickly and in 3 minutes I'm driving away, If there's ice on the outside 5 minutes max with no scraping :D My old Buick took at least 10 minutes, nearly double for ice :mad: Dunno how the 'new' Silhouette will do yet.

Any of the old small-block Ford Windsor V-8's will do this because there's a small thermostat bypass hose on them which immediately sends whatever heat is available to the water pump and heater. It's also the most frequently blown hose with these engines so there's a spare in the toolbox ;) It's a very sensible feature which I haven't seen on any other engines that I can recall.

Phil

Back