Mobius 2 Action/Dash Cam support thread

I had some of the earlier beta versions but haven't tried anything recent, a few that I did try seemed to be a case of one step forward, two steps back, history says they're capable of better so something mus have changed for things to pan out the way they have

I had some of the earlier beta versions but haven't tried anything recent, a few that I did try seemed to be a case of one step forward, two steps back, history says they're capable of better so something mus have changed for things to pan out the way they have

I don't know what to say or not say about the whole situation at this point.

BTW, here are the same comparison shots from the day earlier. In this case WDR was ON on the M2. (and the GC) The M2 had a serious problem with WDR at that time. I'd be curious to know from @TonyM what the current situation is in that regard.

M2_a.jpg
SG9665GC_a.jpg

BTW, here are the same comparison shots from the day earlier. In this case WDR was ON on the M2. (and the GC) The M2 had a serious problem with WDR at that time. I'd be curious to know from @TonyM what the current situation is in that regard.

yeah but look at the colour of the trees :whistle:

I'm starting to think this isn't going to save the M2, it's been taking way too long time, still not ready and there are many alternatives great enough for dashcam use.

Unless you'r hopelesly in love with the shape..... like I am. I don't like these compact camera / gopro type bodies. Windsreen monsters, that's what they are, inviting to trigger angry fellow-roadmen you get in conflict with in accidents / incidents to become aggressive, and wanting to destroy your evidence, not even mentioning the physical harm they might pull at us...

nevertheless I bought me the Mijia, cause I need something that makes good .... video's.... day and night, how's that for hypocricy..... that's why I'm using it for cabin recording, from the back of the cabin facing forward, that way it wouldn't be so eminently presented....

PS I came across the SJDASH, looks suspiciously like the Xiaomi MiJia, IMX 323, 1080p/30, same type housing, same display, same menu's, same buttons.... what's that about?

The IQ tuning we need is different from what the RC guys are looking for and deem appropriate. Dash cam related feedback should not have to go through the RC guys.

Instead have direct communication with a separate group Beta testing dash cam features and tune IQ as per our 'dashcamming' needs.

IDK probably a separate firmware for FPV and dash cams or 'Mode 3'.

The IQ tuning we need is different from what the RC guys are looking for and deem appropriate. Dash cam related feedback should not have to go through the RC guys.

Instead have direct communication with a separate group Beta testing dash cam features and tune IQ as per our 'dashcamming' needs.

IDK probably a separate firmware for FPV and dash cams or 'Mode 3'.

2nd that, but we all know that's not going to work. I've understood that many of the work done to the firmware of the M1 has been because of user/tester input and help. I'm not so sure this will work at team Mobius.

I also hope this team is working on something specifical for dashcam use, otherwise they may be too late to save the day.

2nd that, but we all know that's not going to work. I've understood that many of the work done to the firmware of the M1 has been because of user/tester input and help. I'm not so sure this will work at team Mobius.

I also hope this team is working on something specifical for dashcam use, otherwise they may be too late to save the day.

Kudos to the dash cam specific testers for the M1. If they had to go through this lot (by what Dashmellow has described), must've been a lot of :banghead: moments.

For now my M2 sits in a drawer, let's see how the next firmware fares.

I've been FW testing on the M2 for a few months now. Mobius are specifically trying to improve low light dashcam performance, using the M1 as an internal benchmark but also with reference to other available cameras.

The output from the M2 is still more grainy than the aesthetically pleasing video on the M1. In return the exposure times are much shorter with a big reduction in motion blur. How much more noise are we willing to accept in pursuit of details like license plates in low light? I started a discussion on that subject here at DCT to help guide the Mobius development.

I've tried at least 10 beta FW versions and have seen steps forward and backwards, as is to be expected. The last one went too far on high iso. I received a new version last night which looks promising, so I will put my M1 telephoto lens testing on hold while I put the M2's back in the car again.

In recent FW versions the WDR has not been quite so aggressive at night, with exposure generally matching the non WDR video.

I'm not sure when Mobius will reach a point where they are happy to release a public firmware update. I'm an engineer and a photographer, plus a dashcam enthusiast, so I'm quite happy to play with these things and look for improvements. However I realise that for most M2 owners there's been nothing but silence for quite a while and they're probably looking elsewhere for a new camera. That's one reason why I got the new GitUp F1 to see how it compares. I'll share some M2 vs F1 video sometime.

I've kept quiet about my M2 testing so far, as I don't want to set any expectations for new FW releases and improvements. For now they seem interested in what I have to say, and if I can help to direct the development for the benefit of dashcam users then I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
However I realise that for most M2 owners there's been nothing but silence for quite a while and they're probably looking elsewhere for a new camera.

Same thing with me regarding the JooVuu X.... I bought the A119S because I couldn't wait anymore, and it was a great deal for < 60 euro....

I'm starting to think this isn't going to save the M2, it's been taking way too long time, still not ready and there are many alternatives great enough for dashcam use.

Unless you're hopelesly in love with the shape..... like I am.

+1. At the rate they are moving they'd do better with a blank slate and a new cam. The F1 is close in form-factor and us likely to see rapidly moving development so my guess is that Gitup is going to eat Mobius2's slice of the action cam pie :p and as soon as the cap version arrives it will eat their dashcam slice too :whistle:

We're now seeing many very reliable dashcams on the market, perhaps twice as many as from a couple years ago. Most of those have the features we want that work well enough to fit most of our needs. Competition is getting tight and it's only a matter of time before someone else tries this form-factor too ;)

JooVuu almost had it right but essentially did the same thing and effectively stopped development well short of the stated goal, very mach like what has happened with M2 :( Maybe it isn't about money after all but more a matter of believably and trust, both of which Mobius has intentionally trashed with this cam :eek: I guess I should be thankful that I got burned with the JooVuu for having had that sour experience is the only reason I didn't buy an M2.

If indeed they are reading this forum let me suggest that they just quietly throw the M2 in the garbage can as it's reputation is already shot, and put their efforts in an M3 instead. This horse is probably dead and even if it isn't, by the time it gets on it's feet will be too old to pull the wagon against it's younger faster competitors.

Phil

Last edited:
New M2 firmware version 2.14 has been released.

You can find a direct link to the files at RC Groups here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34846438&postcount=3
Or you can simply update using mSetup

Quoting the firmware announcement on RC Groups:
The changes are improvements to several existing camera functions, with no new functionality added. They are:

1. Improved the video IQ for all resolutions.

2. Optimized video low light recording. The settings give the best overall combination the camera hardware can deliver for bright exposure and improved detail while minimizing video noise and motion blur (especially for WDR ON night recording).

3. Adjusted the Audio Recording Volume settings. Normal listening level sources are now louder at the Medium setting and diminished at the Highest level to minimize clipping.

4. Changed the 20 Min. recording setting to "Max". This now allows for recordings with the highest resolutions and frame rates to be set for a recording time longer than 10 minutes, but not more than 20 minutes when using the mSetup GUI to set the configuration. It was always possible to do this when the config was manually set to the 20 min. setting, though the recordings will stop short of 20 minutes to prevent hitting the FAT32 4GB file size limit. Clips shot at 1080p-60fps or 720p-120fps with the highest data rate setting will do a stop/save/continue sequence typically between 13 to 19 minutes, depending on the video Codec and data rate selected. Smaller resolutions or frames rates will still terminate at 20 min. intervals as before. This may be improved further in the future, but in the interim it will allow longer than 10 min. recording times for videos using the largest resolutions and frame rates.

NOTE: The change noted in item 4 requires the updated mSetup GUI v4.0.11.2 to set the new file size limit.

I have briefly tested FW2.14 myself over the last couple of days. The performance is broadly similar to the video and screenshots posted in my 7 camera comparison, in which the M2 was using a recent beta FW:
7 Cam Test: Mobius 1 & 2, GitUp F1 & G3, A119, B1W, Xiaomi Mijia Mini

Today & tomorrow I will record some side-by-side video on the M2 with the new FW2.14 and the previous release FW2.08, to show what changes have been made.

well updating to 2.14 killed my mobius, its now stuck with a constant red led on, and there are nothing i can do to change that.

GIU can no loger see camera, manual updating FW dont work, cant format SD card in camera, pretty much nothing i can do but use it to make a little red light. :cautious:

Have you tried the reset button on the back? I've occasionally observed those symptoms, but not in relation to a firmware change.

Night time comparison between the new FW2.14, and the previous FW2.08.

Both cameras set to 1080p30, WDR off, h264, VBR, highest data rate, centre-weighted metering, bright priority

Car Park
y9hbyRg.jpg

oIN4TT4.jpg

Junction 1
ENrNbWZ.jpg

Tw7ptp2.jpg

Junction 2
pr4bKwl.jpg

voOAoVJ.jpg

FW2.14 is noticeably darker, with less attempt to boost shadow areas. Motion blur is reduced considerably. FW2.14 is softer, with less sharpening and more noise-reduction.

The file sizes with FW2.14 are a lot less than with 2.08, at times less than half the size, despite identical camera settings:

98uaOfw.jpg

Corrected all the 2.41 to 2.14

Last edited:
Daytime comparison between FW2.08 and the new FW2.14, in overcast conditions this morning.

The new FW2.14 has gone for a brighter exposure, at the expense of more motion blur than 2.08.

The first two sets are at 1080p30, WDR off, h264, VBR, highest data rate, centre-weighted metering, bright priority.

kdqJqO9.jpg

SX8lZRX.jpg

shFEKBc.jpg

RSJOGOl.jpg

The results are similar at 1080p 60fps, with the new FW being a bit brighter but losing some detail

3nXphXN.jpg

lKhmmDB.jpg

p8knYXr.jpg

HRdg4iN.jpg

Note: the daytime file sizes were almost identical

Hi, my Mobius 2 arrived some days ago And i am wondering, what is the best configuration/setup for using the Mobius as a dash cam? Pictures/movies I have seen above in this tread was great I think. It would be nice if someone (better then me) could upload some screenshots of the configuration.

Back