1080P @ 60fps or 1440P HDR?

• Total voters

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
What do you guys use and what is your preference, do you prefer frame rate over resolution and lighting?

I have tried to experiment with 30 Vs 60 fps on 2 similar cameras, and to be honest it is marginal where the gains are either end, the 60 fps dont yeld better footage in daytime as 30 fps camera will use same capture parameters just for less frames / second.
Sure you have 2 X more chances for that good plate capture with 60 fps, but in my testing i found it extremely rare that the 30 fps camera dident get the same capture with half the FPS of the other camera.
Night time the 30 fps will have a little more time for each exposure, but it dont really matter, looking for any detail in dashcam night footage are in vane, current models only provide the bigger picture in low light, which are also just fine.

I did not get around to look at 1440 Vs 1080 and or HDR on though the cameras supported that, but in the grand scheme of dashcams i see little validity for HDR, it might be desirable for cinematic recordings of road trips but then you also would want a camera with lesser FOV or at least i would in that case.

Off course 1440p will have greater detail as it is after all a higher resolution, but again compared to 1080 it is marginal i think, at least not something that just jump out at ya making you go, "dauuum that's a lot better"

Back