Power plus timer mode

richard mills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just installed a vico power plus and used it for the first time today whilst parked up at work.

I set the cutoff to 12.4v and timer to 6h.

I checked on it a few times during the day and it was happily powering the camera.

But i returned to my car 8 hours after leaving and it was still powering the camera.

The switch is on timer and the display has the 2 leds flashing vertically.

I double checked that its set to 6 hours in the menu.

Any ideas why it would not have stopped at the 6 hour mark?

Ive checked through the parked mode mode recordings and i have footage from the whole time period.

Check if ACC/ignition wire is connected to switched fuse?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

yep thats definitely correct as i had the camera wired up to the acc before hand.

the vico pp goes into acc mode and batt mode correctly when i start / stop the car.

ive set the vico pp to 2h timer to try it again tomorrow.

i thought that maybe the low voltage had kicked in and then back out resetting the timer during the day but thats definitely not the case as if it had i would have a video file within my parking mode files from when the camera restarted but i dont have. i just have parking mode files form the entire 8 hour period.

I set the unit to 2 hours timer this morning and have just checked on it after 130 mins. It's still powering the cam.
So I set it to bypass, normal mode and back to activate.
I will check on it again in 2 hours.

I set the unit to 2 hours timer this morning and have just checked on it after 130 mins. It's still powering the cam.
So I set it to bypass, normal mode and back to activate.
I will check on it again in 2 hours.
leave it a bit longer next time, reports I've seen from others suggest that the timer isn't too accurate

Haven't tested the 6 hour preset but I did a bit of testing on the shorter presets, the timer isn't accurate.

As per my testing, 30 minutes timer cuts approximately 8 minutes late. 2 hour timer cuts 32 minutes after the 2 hours preset has elapsed.

It's because they don't use a clock based timer, leads to a latency of approximately 26% and behaves erratically at times.

Below is a response from one of the email exchanges with VV -

According to our RD, the timer mode is calculated by MCU programs, not through external clocking device.

For each 30 mins interval, there should be around 3-5min latency.

It will be in accordance with your test outcome for 30min mode.

For 2 hour mode, it should be at least 130mins or so.

Last edited:
thanks both

i left it for longer this afternoon on the 2 hour setting and arrived to the timer triggered display.

recording started at 12:51 and the last recording i have is at 15:29, so 158 + mins = +32%

that would mean my 6 hour setting needing 474mins/ 7 hours 54mins.

my recordings from yesterday totalled 474 mins! 8:03>15:53 so it must have been very close.

anyway at least it works and i know what to expect now.

I hadn't even thought to check the accuracy of the timer, for me it's just a ballpark figure anyway, but I guess it would be bad if you were anticipating an event just before the cutoff time but it turned off early.

A separate annoyance for me now my battery is getting bad, is that the VPP turns off when the voltage goes too low, but once there is no load on the battery its voltage rises and the VPP comes back on! I would prefer it if it stayed off. Sometimes this causes the camera to go off-on-off-on as I get into the van and the open door affects the battery voltage. It's not a rapid switching, but it's odd, and in my mind undesirable. Once it has detected the battery is becoming drained it should protect the remaining charge.

I wonder if these things could be connected - if the VPP goes off temporarily because the battery is low, does that pause the timer?

I wonder if these things could be connected - if the VPP goes off temporarily because the battery is low, does that pause the timer?

Don't think so, that would override the timer and trigger a LVOL cut-off. If the voltage fluctuates back to above the cut-off preset, the timer in all probability resets.

Don't think so, that would override the timer and trigger a LVOL cut-off. If the voltage fluctuates back to above the cut-off preset, the timer in all probability resets.

I would agree

they must have the amount of voltage rise required set too low for it to switch back on like that, it should need at least half a volt before turning back on, I'd guess it's somewhere around 100 to 200mA currently

Back