Hot Pixels

Scifan

Reaction score
Country
United States
How prevalent an issue is the Hot Pixel's I've seen mentioned and seen in a couple of video's for the Viofo A119S?

Is this an issue that affects a very few people? Is this an issue that affects most that have this camera? Is this something that actually was resolved with a firmware update?

(Is this an issue that affects other camera's running Sony Exmor sensors?)

I'm trying to figure out how to proceed...

Update with latest firmware and hot pixels problem, if exists, will be solved.

enjoy,
Mtz

Update with latest firmware and hot pixels problem, if exists, will be solved.

enjoy,
Mtz

So, this is still a good camera to buy because the hot pixel issue is pretty much resolved with newer firmware?

Firmware have an automatic hot pixels fixing feature when the camera is updated. But is very possible a new camera to not have such problem, it was sometime ago.

enjoy,
Mtz

(Is this an issue that affects other camera's running Sony Exmor sensors?)

every sensor has hot pixels, they are just masked by a software process that hides it so you don't notice, the previous auto calibration mode in the SDK didn't work very well so it was done manually instead which doesn't always get perfect results. hot pixels can come and go also so the manual method is more likely to have some pixels show up at times

My VIOFO A119S, V2, 7G F1.6 Lens, Sony Exmor IMX291 Sensor,
has Firmware A119S_170622_V1.7, c/w GPS and CPL filter, used every day for 3 months.
No pixel problems of any description.
I would suggest you make sure the seller sends you the latest model with latest firmware.
Don't depend on web site info, they are not always accurate in photos or descriptions.
Ask the seller to send you Model Number details as well as the Firmware Version Number.

Last edited:
I'd planned to buy from Amazon - probably the Spy Tech version.

I hadn't realized there was such a hot pixel issue with the Sony sensor's used in some of these dash camera's...

I'd planned to buy from Amazon - probably the Spy Tech version.

The difference Spytecinc and itracker is only in the logo on the main screen. Firmware interchangeable.

IMG_20170930_122021.jpg

Last edited:
If I were buying on Amazon US, I'd choose OCD Tronics for the seller. Jon is over-the-top with service and support :D Spytec ain't what they used to be but there are worse sellers so not a bad choice ;)

All sensors can have hot pixels. It seems to be more visible with Sony Exmor sensors at night because of their high light sensitivity. It can be easily dealt with in this cam, but with other sensors and cams you may not find the job easy. You aren't likely to have a problem with it.

Phil

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Peylix A119S 36
Back