GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

For low light performance, the new F1.8 lens we are testing will make difference compared the current F2.8 version.

Ok,Thanks! I found some YI cam AZ13-1 batteries on eBay and Aliexpress. Hopefully they will work.
I just got my F1 yesterday and was wondering if I have the latest firmware (F1 V1.0-20171010).I did not find firmware downloads for F1 on Gitup website and android app dont seem to have a way to update it.
That YI AZ13-1 will work for F1.

Ok,then have to wait until Gitup uploads updated F1 firmware to their website I guess.I hope they could use h265 as recordings take a lot of space and U3 128Gb and 256Gb memory cards are not very cheap.I currently use 64Gb U3 card.
I have an extra 16GB memory card just for updating the firmware.
Dual charger+2 AZ13-1 1010 mAh batteries were selling for $7.80 on eBay.
We got some feedback for bug fix and improvement, working on new FW now.
The F1 use Ambarella A12 chipset does not support H265 codec.
The F1 choose the high bit-rate as default, user can choose low bitrate to save card space. The bitrate option is video quality option.

In 2018, there will be many cameras support H.265 as new Novatek 4K chipset released.

For low light performance, the new F1.8 lens we are testing will make difference compared the current F2.8 version.
I'd like to see how the F1 performs with a faster lens.
A few of us have been testing fast lenses in our mobius cameras. Mostly the results have been positive with significant improvements in low light performance.

That's just great. I didn't even get my F1 and @gitup is already "updating" it.

Thats great to hear! I am all for nighttime low light video shooting so this is what I need.When will this be available and will the price be the same?Or will the lens be sold separately?

My F1 menu options seems to miss the video ISO settings or at least I cannot see it anywhere how to change it.Having the ability to set the ISO is important when filming in low light.Some of these cams limit ISO to 1600 but it could go higher even though that usually means more noise but better to have a noisier video and see what was recorded than see just darkness.

I have been testing it for two nights now and trying to find best settings for low light video.

F1 form factor is good and much better than usual brick style but the shell could be more like rubbery feel and texture for better tactile handling.Now it is too slippery that when carrying by hand wearing gloves one has to be extra careful for not to drop it.And micro sd card opening could use some cover so not to lose memory card if accidentally dropped.

This cam is just the right size as it is very pocketable and fits inside palm when carrying by hand when walking and hiking. H265 is not absolutely necessary at this point as I can encode videos using VidCoder in PC.More important is the low light performance for this convenient sized camera.

Starvis starlight version would be nice.

Last edited:
I'd like to see how the F1 performs with a faster lens.
A few of us have been testing fast lenses in our mobius cameras. Mostly the results have been positive with significant improvements in low light performance.

Don't expect too much. I've tried F1. 8 lenses on the Mobius, and there's a difference, but nothing drastical.....

My F1 menu options seems to miss the video ISO settings or at least I cannot see it anywhere how to change it.Having the ability to set the ISO is important when filming in low light.Some of these cams limit ISO to 1600 but it could go higher even though that usually means more noise but better to have a noisier video and see what was recorded than see just darkness.
It gets a bit noisy at 6400 ISO, but the image is surprisingly sharp still. I took this photo at ISO 3200 and 30 seconds (ISO 6400 60 seconds had the sky overexposed), I have added some noise reduction since it doesn't resize nicely in browsers otherwise:

y4mLnJYu84ZHrmT5BdmF-T8CT7PGPL3_OKZMm05i4IjEilxZbGxccPydcl8uVZBHQE_Zvymvw4uotMVfVID-T-ZT_nJ3E3Elg12z9uf2BrTjzJ4orUUpS1eFv2fp1Hu7P2ceXH0FEhd-y5sK-TUEJI0e5cSZ6qPSc-sdmOH6k7yisfrV58U_dblRgbx_GzkCr_6Fxvdl_9DtvO5oI1oU-p7Ig

The Plough in the centre, it is hard to pick out as it's picked up too many stars at full brightness.

Tried it, good result, perfect for my usage
Just needs a little bit of exposure optimization for license plate reading
Here is a little additional video in a noisy environnement

It would be nice to have different lenses to choose from like Mobius :D And it would be nice to be able to get them separately after the initial sale too :cool:

Phil

Don't expect too much. I've tried F1. 8 lenses on the Mobius, and there's a difference, but nothing drastical.....
May I know what kind of F1.8 lens you tried?

the new len F1.8 will be intergrated to F1 or will sell separately lens @gitup ?
Will be integrated, and the lens will be sold separately.
Once our capacitor version is available, we will offer some samples for DCT users.

Will the capacitor version be able to use batteries too ?

Wonder if capacitors are inside battery shell

May I know what kind of F1.8 lens you tried?

Long ago, I don't remember from the top of my head, but it was some cheap lens. I checked my orders, and the page isn't available anymore.....

Will the capacitor version be able to use batteries too ?

Wonder if capacitors are inside battery shell
We are still trying to make the capacitor version can also use the battery, but it is very hard, the size is limited, and the charging circuit is different.
The capacitor is in battery shell.

One thing I wish F1 had are the LEDs (or just light pipes) on the back. When mounted upside down, I can't see whether F1 is recording.

Hurrah- we will have a winner :D
Phil
Yes, a few hardware changes (narrower lens, capacitor, GPS) and some software tweaks and this will be a great dash cam. I like what I see so far. I think the future is in 4k for sure.

One thing I wish F1 had are the LEDs (or just light pipes) on the back. When mounted upside down, I can't see whether F1 is recording.
Yes, something on the back end would be useful. Although I can just see the red LED where I have the F1 installed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back