A119s ignores GPS setting?

Potoroo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A119S V2
2.1 firmware. I have GPS set to Coordinates yet when I look at the recordings using Dashcan Viewer it displays speed information as well. Why is the unit recording speed data when I don't want it to?

If the GPS is connected and switched on it'll always "record" the speed, it just may not play it on media player playback where the details are shown within the picture frame along the bottom

My A118c doesn't show speed when I play the file on windows media player, but it always records it if it has a signal, and therefore shows it on registrator viewer

2.1 firmware. I have GPS set to Coordinates yet when I look at the recordings using Dashcan Viewer it displays speed information as well. Why is the unit recording speed data when I don't want it to?
I think Dashcam Viewer also computes the speed, and as @DashcamDPR stated, if the GPS mount is connected and the A119 GPS menu setting is "ON", GPS data is embedded in the video file and Dashcam Viewer can dig it out. This thread may shed some light (or not): https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/horrible-lag-in-gps-data.26287/page-2#post-355114.

Yes, the GPS data is in the recording regardless of the unit's settings. Not good enough, @viofo @VIOFO_Support. When the setting is to record coordinates only then the unit should only record coordinates.

Yes, the GPS data is in the recording regardless of the unit's settings. Not good enough, @viofo @VIOFO_Support. When the setting is to record coordinates only then the unit should only record coordinates.

the data all comes down in one stream, you would need to selectively strip data back out to do what you want which would require processing power

the data all comes down in one stream, you would need to selectively strip data back out to do what you want which would require processing power
21st century calling, processing power is cheap. The A119S manual (p. 15) says, "GPS Info Stamp: Imprints the GPS information on the recorded video." It turns out it does not only imprint the GPS information from the menu selection Viofo offer the user, it stores all GPS information in the video regardless. That is misleading and unacceptable.

I don't use coordinates or speed, just the GPS time feature.
Coordinates and Speed don't show up on my video player so it's no problem for me.

I don't use coordinates or speed, just the GPS time feature.
Coordinates and Speed don't show up on my video player so it's no problem for me.
Watch one of your recordings in Dashcam Viewer. If it shows the coordinates and speed then the GPS data is in fact in the recording, which it shouldn't be.

Watch one of your recordings in Dashcam Viewer. If it shows the coordinates and speed then the GPS data is in fact in the recording, which it shouldn't be.
I don't use Dash Cam Viewer.
I use Windows Media in my laptop to view micro sd card so it's not a problem to see what I only want to see.
I don't use Coordinates or Speed and as a result it doesn't show up on my GPS Stamp.

Last edited:
21st century calling, processing power is cheap. The A119S manual (p. 15) says, "GPS Info Stamp: Imprints the GPS information on the recorded video." It turns out it does not only imprint the GPS information from the menu selection Viofo offer the user, it stores all GPS information in the video regardless. That is misleading and unacceptable.

it needs the data to be able to imprint in the video, that is not done realtime, it needs to be processed and injected frame by frame, just because you want to work a particular way doesn't mean that's possible or practical, if you're worried about someone knowing your speed then you don't want video, speed can be determined without the data being there anyway, speed is just time taken to travel between two points which can be determined from video if someone was keen enough

Back