Jeep Cam Fun

James.R.UstlerIV

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Rexing V1P
Greetings,
Does anyone else here have a Jeep Wrangler? I have a semi-permanent mount setup for my forward cam, and would like to eventually run a rear cam.
I'd like to see what any other Jeep owners are doing for their cam setup.

Thanks for your time.

I just installed on the front window an A119V2 with the sticky gps mount. I am also planning to install one on the rear, (I have a tj) but the glass is tinted...dunno how it will affect clarity. Planning to hide it inside the rear wiper box

I have a Jeep Wrangler and looking for other ideas for mounting the rear camera. The glass is tinted and I don't really want to install there for when weather permitting the top comes off.

I have a Jeep Wrangler and looking for other ideas for mounting the rear camera. The glass is tinted and I don't really want to install there for when weather permitting the top comes off.
NOt easy.
I would use a mobius with an extension cable, tryng to stuff the camera (or the board only) inside the 3rd stop light housing and having the lens attached outside under it. Of course,the lens need to be cleaned once in a while and once the brake is pushed there would be a bit of a red flare..

You guys ever end up getting rear cams set up? I'm looking to acquire a rear cam-enabled unit soon and will hopefully get it installed not long thereafter.

Most Jeeping fun as i see it from way over here seen to be daytime fun, in which case tint should not be a major concern.
Night time and a really dark tint rarely go hand in hand, so here it would be good to have the lens right up against the glass and then have a little 1.5 X 3 inch square cut out in the tint.

But you do have to get creative once in a while, even with my silly little Japanese 5 door car where i just found out that even with a small rear camera in a dual channel setup i was not able to just stick it on there, so once again i had to use my Neodymium magnet as a sort of spacer to even things out.
But my install are once again right there where i want it in the rear, no heater elements in the footage and camera within wiper range and at the very top of the rear glass so its less noticeable.

Most Jeeping fun as i see it from way over here seen to be daytime fun, in which case tint should not be a major concern.
Night time and a really dark tint rarely go hand in hand, so here it would be good to have the lens right up against the glass and then have a little 1.5 X 3 inch square cut out in the tint.

But you do have to get creative once in a while, even with my silly little Japanese 5 door car where i just found out that even with a small rear camera in a dual channel setup i was not able to just stick it on there, so once again i had to use my Neodymium magnet as a sort of spacer to even things out.
But my install are once again right there where i want it in the rear, no heater elements in the footage and camera within wiper range and at the very top of the rear glass so its less noticeable.
Hi there,
That's one of my concerns is nighttime clarity. The tint is factory so I won't be able to remove it. Most of the driving I do is during the daylight hours so it shouldn't be too much of an issue - but as you stated, finding a spot to place it may be challenging. I want it to be in the sweep area of the rear wiper, but not so as to be in the way of my rear visibility (and not too obvious to other people). ...and how to run the cable along the hardtop without making a big mess.

I've heard of using Nd magnets - how do you have yours set up? Did you have to do much customization?

Right now, I'm using a suction cup mount, and I remove the cam whenever I leave the Jeep.

My car are a little Suzuki hatch back with a vertical hatch / window, so from the inside the window are sort of recessed so i have a ledge a good inch wide and at 90 degrees to the glass.
So i have my magnet on there ( round magnet about 20 mm in diameter and 10 mm thick ) and then the camera are just stuck to that with its dual sided tape, it might fail when it get warmer but then i just add a metal strip so that have the whole tape on the camera to "bite" on.
And the magnet i have no problem with as it have been holding a mobius and Joovuu X cam the past years, and they weigh more than the rear camera of the SG9663DC i just installed in my car.

I will snap some pics tomorrow.

The cameras i have used before have had a tripod screw mount so to it and for additional spacing out i have just folded over some sheet metal that have then been screwed to the camera, this way instead of messing with the little spring loaded memory cards in my car i have just pulled the USB wire and taken the whole camera with me when i have needed to get footage of it.

I know street guardian for one will have rear cameras with waterproof housings for their products at some time, and i also think others have it ( blackvue and or thinkware )
Only minus is outside cameras dont have wiper / washer coverage, so you really got to have a eye on those, and offroad in the dirt / dust a rear camera will probably be useless quickly.
On the streets too i assume but at a slower pace depending on the season, i know the 4x4 Mitsubishi pickup with a hardtop over the bed gathered a lot of dust out back, and my friends land rovers over the time have done the same due to the unfortunate aerodynamic rear end that pretty much just leave a vortex back there rubbing dirt all over.

I'm interested to see your setup. I finally got my V1P set up - I put my rear cam pretty much centered on the inner rear window and almost directly below the rear wiper. The small camera fits neatly right between the elements of the rear window defogger without touching. I routed the cable using the factory-supplied cable clips along the right side of the hardtop above the windows, although there was plenty of cable I probably could have routed it downward and below the dash/up the side of the door trim to make the install much neater. I'll have to get some better pictures this week.

The tint has no effect on rear video quality, at least during the day.

Wow you have a lot of cams set up! Interesting how you have the rear camera attached by magnet. I had considered that when I first got my V1, but instead went with the more ready-made solution of a suction cup mount. I may eventually upgrade to the Nd magnet, as it seems a bit more elegant.

I'll get more pictures of my current arrangement soon - the rear camera is more temporary as I search for my ideal cable routing solution. I know I've seen white plastic U-shaped channeling that would be perfect. It'd hide the black cable and match the white inside of my Jeep's hard top.

Yes things do get a bit crowded when testing, lucky me i have my car parked in the back yard and a CCTV camera on it all the time, and it is damn rare i park out where i would worry that many cameras drawing attention,

The magnet was pretty nice when i used a little action camera on it, cuz instead of retrieving the memory card i took out the whole camera so i could mess with the little spring loaded memory card in the comfort of my living room.
you might want to add something with friction between the magnet and metal of the car, i do suspect a bumpy dirt road might be able to make the camera slide around a little on the strong but low friction bond.

There are now +1 camera in the windscreen, and i have moved my B1W camera to the mirror stalk to act as a cabin camera, looking thru that you can see my R hand camera but my fat head block the view of the one in the left side.
img_20180414_143857-jpg.37476

All i really need now are a woman to clean my car :giggle:

So here's my installation. I didn't take a picture of the inside routing of the rear cam cable because it's temporary (and messy).

It's hard to make out from the second image, but the rear camera mount fits neatly between rear window defogger lines without touching.

My next step is to locate a white U-channel sort of material so I can more neatly route the cable along the inside of the hard top to make it look less visible.

Are that Jeep silhouette on top of the windscreen standard ?

Seem to me like its always hard with the cars that have the mirror coming off the windscreen, my car would be a mess if it wasent for the fortunate layout on my windscreen.
I dont think most people notice them, but i always spot dashcams personally, just yesterday we drove behind another car with a Vicovation dashcam in the back window, but no camera in the windscreen.

Are that Jeep silhouette on top of the windscreen standard ?

Seem to me like its always hard with the cars that have the mirror coming off the windscreen, my car would be a mess if it wasent for the fortunate layout on my windscreen.
I dont think most people notice them, but i always spot dashcams personally, just yesterday we drove behind another car with a Vicovation dashcam in the back window, but no camera in the windscreen.
Yep, that Jeep silhouette top center of the windshield is standard. There's another one on the lower right corner of a Jeep climbing a hill. They've really (in my opinion, of course) gone overboard with adding useless things like that since my last Jeep (2004 Wrangler).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Dash Cam Discussion 11