i'am a little confused....i just thought "fov" and "distortion correction" are the same.

so whats the point, what is what?

i'am a little confused....i just thought "fov" and "distortion correction" are the same.

so whats the point, what is what?
They're related. Field of view is described in degrees, and refers to how far off the centerline of the lens something can be seen. If you look down the center of a paper towel roll, the field of view is very narrow. By comparison, the SJ7's lens can cover 170° or a little more than total field of view for most people.

We don't see the fisheye effect because the retina is round. The light rays hitting the retina are always perpendicular (at right angles) to the retina; there's no distortion.

With a camera, only the light rays coming down the centerline of the lens hit the camera's "retina", the sensor, perpendicularly. The further out from the center, the greater then angle and that ultimately shows up in the rounded "fisheye" look. One good example is to stand almost in a door frame, near the edge of the field of view. The straight door frame will look almost circular, although your eye sees the sides and top as straight lines.

Distortion correction tries to undo the problem, but it's still not going to be exactly as we see the same scene with our eyes.

Then " gyro" is SJCAM's name for EIS.
That's the question - are they the same. I expect so, too, but with the gyro on, my test video sure didn't sure show it working.

Previously in youtube videos of SJCaam's 5000 series cameras their " gyro" resembled a consistent roll axis motion in all the videos. It seems with my Star that there is only an up/down "jitter".
If i set my heels in as a march, the apparent motion is lessened!
'wish they could duplicate Hero 6 's excellent EIS!

Last edited by a moderator:
They're related. Field of view is described in degrees, and refers to how far off the centerline of the lens something can be seen. If you look down the center of a paper towel roll, the field of view is very narrow. By comparison, the SJ7's lens can cover 170° or a little more than total field of view for most people.

We don't see the fisheye effect because the retina is round. The light rays hitting the retina are always perpendicular (at right angles) to the retina; there's no distortion.

With a camera, only the light rays coming down the centerline of the lens hit the camera's "retina", the sensor, perpendicularly. The further out from the center, the greater then angle and that ultimately shows up in the rounded "fisheye" look. One good example is to stand almost in a door frame, near the edge of the field of view. The straight door frame will look almost circular, although your eye sees the sides and top as straight lines.

Distortion correction tries to undo the problem, but it's still not going to be exactly as we see the same scene with our eyes.

perfect, thx!

At least under V1. 15 the gyro worked on the pitch axis (nodding or riding). Jump to 11:30 to see what I mean. The windscreen moves but the mountains don't.

SJ7 v1.20 firmware update and changelog here!

Please let us know if you find any bugs as we will be uploading to sjcam.com tomorrow!

Thanks

Why do I need a log in account at word press to download a fw update from you?

Hehe wrong link dropped

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

Posh gadgets has a 1.20 fw icon that describes it as a beta. I think it is same as 23/11/17 1.19 beta fw! Why bother?

it is still beta. We will release it soon if there are no bug reports.

Installed firmware 1.20

I would pray .INI not to have to configure camera every time I update firmware

I had to configure the camera with the APP because the touch screen does not work well when I select more photo or video settings

Back