Any real 4k dashcam?

mikek753

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi,

Are there any new real 4k dashcam?
I see some action 4k cam that might be used as dashcam, I'm not sure those are good for 1-5 hours none-stop recording ... I hope that was improved over past year
The main recording time limit was h/w overheat.

any cam that already uses Ambarella H22 SoC?
"The new H22 SoC is capable of encoding 4K Ultra HD video at 60 frames per second using the H.265 (HEVC) or H.264 (AVC) video formats, and supports advanced Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) up to 4K resolution. The on-board 1.2 GHz Quad-Core ARM® Cortex®-A53 CPU provides significant processing power for customer applications including flying camera flight control, advanced analytics, video stitching and wireless networking. Fabricated in 14nm process technology, the H22 offers very low power consumption, enabling 4K cameras with small form factors and extended battery life."

history shows that any Ambarella solution released takes about 2 years of further development before it's stable, this is something targeted at sport cam and drone use though, not ideally suited for a car cam product

I too have found exactly what @jokiin has said, in my testing. 4K action camera are quite nice during the day but it all drops away at night and that they have work to do with thermals, and heat dissipation in such a small space. is gonna be a while at least until they move to smaller chipset manufacturing sizes, which would increase efficiency and not run as hot.

I believe the Yi 4K+ is one of the first action cams with the new ambarella chipset but will take a while before this all filters down.

From their own web page:
upload_2017-11-21_15-1-31.png

Nextbase 612GW is 4K.

BlackVue will release theirs in early 2018.

You need 8 Mega Pixels for 4K, 4 Mega Pixels is only half way there!

You need 8 Mega Pixels for 4K, 4 Mega Pixels is only half way there!
I know! My point was that they state a 4mp sensor on their own website..

Back