Dashmats

ToXIcG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
So some people on here understandably use dash mats to remove/reduce reflection on the windscreen, I don't myself because I think they look hideous :p

So my question is, can't manufacturers just make the dashboard less reflective in the first place?

i can't bring myself to use a dashmat, either. i'd rather just use a CPL and deal with the reduced night performance.

i think manufacturers don't produce a more matte dash because it would probably make interior dust more obvious and most consumers won't want to deal with that.

My DIY mat are a big mess and dont look good in any way you look at it, but fortunately my dash and how it look are of no interest for me.
And good thing camera sensors are slowly improving so having a CPL on 24/7 are not really a problem.

Car makers could easy do something about it, but sadly dash design and its interaction with the windscreen are no where on the list of people buying a car.
Aside for us "weird" people off course.

So some people on here understandably use dash mats to remove/reduce reflection on the windscreen, I don't myself because I think they look hideous :p

So my question is, can't manufacturers just make the dashboard less reflective in the first place?
+1

They could but in my experience working on a used car lot I learned from the owner that shiny sells :whistle: Customers in general aren't concerned with dashboard reflections so whatever looks prettiest is what the manufacturer will do with them :rolleyes:

What I'd like to see developed would be an opaque or clear dashboard coating which allowed everything to show through but would cut the reflections ;) As simple as the concept is it wouldn't be easy to do well what with the extreme heat, UV rays, and various materials involved but it should be possible :) Maybe I should look up my old friend who manufactures specialty coatings and pick his mind on the subject, for if anyone would know how to approach this he would :cool:

Phil

...So my question is, can't manufacturers just make the dashboard less reflective in the first place?
Some do, some don't. My current vehicle has a matte black dash (see in this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-or-why-i-have-a-dash-cam.31660/#post-376229 ) that actually looks quite good as compared to a lot of more reflective ones I've seen in the past. I've owned other vehicles in the past that had matte finished dashes as well - they all tended to be more 'utility' type vehicles versus passenger or luxury types - Toyota Highlander, Jeep Grand Cherokee, etc.

Back