Confused First Time Purchaser

Both Amazon listings that I found include a memory card so you should be OK on that front. As to doing a hard wire that's not something that needs to be done immediately so go with the 12V adapter that comes with the camera and see how that works out for you. You can always change that at some point in the future.

the XS is 12v powered so can easily hardwire by cutting the plug off if required

Lets be honest here for a second. All these WTF cop videos start with driver being uncooperative/stupid/aggressive. I am by all means no cop apologist because they do flex their privileges too much but no cop will murder you over simple traffic stop. Be respectful and smile and dont argue with cops because nobody ever won an argument with an armed bully. Take the ticket and fight it in the court. Screaming you didn't do nothing, refusing to acknowledge cop's authority or out rite aggression is what makes these wtf cop videos.
There are things you can do to limit interactions with police like: make sure your automobile's registration is up to date, your car insurance is valid, all your light are working. Don't speed in unfamiliar areas and always use your turn signals.
Pointing dash cam at a cop might result in him turning into raging asshole so I would advise against it. For most of them its a job and they dislike traffic stops more than you do.

Lets be honest here for a second. All these WTF cop videos start with driver being uncooperative/stupid/aggressive. I am by all means no cop apologist because they do flex their privileges too much but no cop will murder you over simple traffic stop. Be respectful and smile and dont argue with cops because nobody ever won an argument with an armed bully. Take the ticket and fight it in the court. Screaming you didn't do nothing, refusing to acknowledge cop's authority or out rite aggression is what makes these wtf cop videos.
There are things you can do to limit interactions with police like: make sure your automobile's registration is up to date, your car insurance is valid, all your light are working. Don't speed in unfamiliar areas and always use your turn signals.
Pointing dash cam at a cop might result in him turning into raging asshole so I would advise against it. For most of them its a job and they dislike traffic stops more than you do.
While we're being honest, you must not have watched the videos I've seen. Investigative journalists doing what they call "audits" and exercising their rights. Especially 1st Amendment and freedom to film. 4th Amendment violations also (illegal search and seizure). Widespread corruption and police abuse exists, and these "bullies" need to be checked. Some of the videos start, and end, with the journalists calmly asserting their rights. Many backing down the cop and educating them in the Constitution. Something, I as a Marine fought to defend. So just "flexing their privileges" can really be a blatant trampling of Constitutional rights. I respect most cops. I give them the benefit of the doubt. I have a bumper sticker with a blue line in the American flag. But they're not above the law. Many are dishonest and corrupt. And will lie to meet their objective. Many Americans don't know the law. Or the Constitution Bill of Rights. I bet if you asked the average American what the difference is between probable cause and reasonable articulated suspicion, they couldn't tell you. But I think you're right. You have to be careful with dash cams. Don't want one landing you in jail. Or worse.

My point was they are seeking confrontation with cops so they get it. Human nature is just crap so give a guy an ounce of authority and he will abuse it. There is no changing that no matter what. Constitution is one thing but how many local municipalities have laws directly contradicting the Constitution. Like we have right to bear arms but try that in NYC and see where it will get you.
If you have dashcam footage smile at the asshole take the ticket and tell him you will meet him in court. That's as far as you can flex your rights.

Last edited:
You're right. These investigative journalists have a back-up team which is why they can be so brave.

You're right. These investigative journalists have a back-up team which is why they can be so brave.

I respect them, I truly do. Somebody with balls to stand up to a cop has my full support. But it wont be me because when I am on the road it means I'm going to school, work or family function and I have no time to mess with 80 IQ cop. Especially when his municipality gives him right to arrest me simply for "interfering." It got to the point where they don't even need to know the law, they just have to think you might be breaking it. But I digress.

A now deceased friend and mentor of mine was also my Lawyer and a Municipal Court Judge. One of the things he taught me (and did himself) is to never argue a point with a Cop. That's neither the place or person which handles those things. What you do is take it to Court where a legal ruling in your favor can be leveraged into a case which will have the power to bring systemic or individual abuses to an end. Even if your argument gets the Cop to let you go, they may pull the same BS with the next guy when you're not around so in effect you've accomplished nothing :eek:

Another thing he taught me and did himself is to watch for and avoid confrontations with the Cops even when they are clearly in violation of the law. Let someone else have the fight, for even if you win it is going to take up lots of your time and money at best, and it could also go the other way and become your biggest nightmare. Better to have a reporter or licensed investigator playing that game as they are far better equipped to win it than you or me are ;)

The intended purpose of a dashcam is to help you prove that you have done no wrong in the operation of your vehicle and to document the actions of other cars around you- a role which they do well at :D It can be used in other ways but when you leave a design's intended purpose, you're also leaving any assurance that it will do what you're now asking of it. If it then fails to accomplish that unintended purpose then that is your fault and you can have no complaint :unsure:

I know my rights and I do stand up for them when I deem that the wisest thing to do. Sometimes the next time is the best time for me if it's not going to otherwise cause me problems now. I pick my fights- I try not to let others make that choice for me. I win the fights I pick but I don't always win the others :rolleyes: The law is a very complex thing where what might seem right or wrong isn't that way at all as things are now. If you really wish to set things right then that is best done in a Courtroom or in the Houses of Government where laws are enacted. Trying to do this on the streets is setting yourself up to fail. You're free to do that but it's a course I wouldn't willingly choose.

Phil

The 4th Amendment. If a cop stops you and asks "do you mind if I take a look in your car?" That is a red flag. Your rights are about to be abused unless you know the law and have the "balls" (not if you're a woman) to stand up for your rights.[/
A now deceased friend and mentor of mine was also my Lawyer and a Municipal Court Judge. One of the things he taught me (and did himself) is to never argue a point with a Cop. That's neither the place or person which handles those things. What you do is take it to Court where a legal ruling in your favor can be leveraged into a case which will have the power to bring systemic or individual abuses to an end. Even if your argument gets the Cop to let you go, they may pull the same BS with the next guy when you're not around so in effect you've accomplished nothing :eek:
Your friend gave you sound advice.

Another thing he taught me and did himself is to watch for and avoid confrontations with the Cops even when they are clearly in violation of the law. Let someone else have the fight, for even if you win it is going to take up lots of your time and money at best, and it could also go the other way and become your biggest nightmare. Better to have a reporter or licensed investigator playing that game as they are far better equipped to win it than you or me are ;)

The intended purpose of a dashcam is to help you prove that you have done no wrong in the operation of your vehicle and to document the actions of other cars around you- a role which they do well at :D It can be used in other ways but when you leave a design's intended purpose, you're also leaving any assurance that it will do what you're now asking of it. If it then fails to accomplish that unintended purpose then that is your fault and you can have no complaint :unsure:

I know my rights and I do stand up for them when I deem that the wisest thing to do. Sometimes the next time is the best time for me if it's not going to otherwise cause me problems now. I pick my fights- I try not to let others make that choice for me. I win the fights I pick but I don't always win the others :rolleyes: The law is a very complex thing where what might seem right or wrong isn't that way at all as things are now. If you really wish to set things right then that is best done in a Courtroom or in the Houses of Government where laws are enacted. Trying to do this on the streets is setting yourself up to fail. You're free to do that but it's a course I wouldn't willingly choose.

Phil

Phil

Phil

Your friend gave you sound advice Phil.

Your friend gave you sound advice Phil.

I think so too. He was one of the wisest, kindest, and toughest people I've ever been honored to know and I miss him and his depth of thought greatly still.

I'll end this part of the conversation with sharing something I live by: Only results count. So choose the course which will give you the best chances to achieve the results you seek and here's wishing you success in getting them (y)

Phil

The XS from street guardian are the only camera with some "evil cop" functionality as its the only one that can be turned to face the side window.
But if you can make do with audio then any camera with a good MIC should work just fine.

I will have to use a action camera or rely on all the cameras in my car to pick up the video and audio, cuz the first thing i do when pulled over are to exit my car ( i know would freak US cop but here its no problem )
I do this as i dont like people hovering over me and talking down to me, + i feel it do take away a cops feeling of supremacy and he are not supposed to feel like that cuz i am the guy paying his wages.

I just love to have a little fun with the cops, not least now where i have been a nice guy for decades, but even when we counted them as our enemies due to our dealings of this and that we had a little fun with them.

Hey Captain,
What state are you in? Sometimes in dealing with cops you will be outside your vehicle as well. I have a camera that looks like a fit bit that I wear everywhere I go. I got in on eBay, it’s called a “wearable braclet camera” and uses a 32gb micro/1080p/date time stamp.
Randy, do you have a link for that bracelet?

It might be this bracelet camera pretending to be a smartwatch or something.

I would think i key fob camera would be better as i think they are more matured or at least have room for quality components inside.

I am planning on putting a camera on the lower right corner of my windscreen aimed at the driver seat.

Center dashbord with a wide FOV will also give you a good capture if anyone get in your face via the driverside window.

Or you can mount on sunvisor up high.

Here i am using mobius cameras, that will work fine in daylight, but will not give a good result in low light.

I've thought about a 'crossfire' mounting which would probably work OK in a car, but my van is too high and the nearest ground seen would be about 3.5m away :( A dual center-mount at the dome light might do well enough- I just need time to check the angles involved. With them at the windows as they are now, the nearest ground seen is maybe 50cm away which is good enough, but the forward edge of coverage won't see anyone up against my van at the "A" pillar or further forward until the front cam gets them.

The advantage of this kind of mounting scheme is that you'd get full coverage of all the windows and doors, as well as some interior coverage too. Plus with the cam mounted away from the side door I won't be banging into it anymore :whistle: A high offside "A" pillar mount like Kamkar1 shows would probably suit the OP's purpose best of all; full driver door coverage and very discreet with the right cam :D

Phil

Okay SC, I think Phil may have informed you but this thread has been a messy one for me to read on my phone. South Carolina is a one party consent state...you can record anyone on the phone in SC without their consent...not across state lines.
In regards to your dashcam and/or body cam the applicable law will be your respective states wiretapping law because it also regulates the interception of communication not by phone.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t17c030.php

And just to be clear, all that means is that you’re fine to record with audio. Now with your dash cam you generally can turn audio off like if you were to leave it with a business (but I don’t I would argue that :mad:)
With a body cam (or dash) you wouldn’t be able to record two people having a conversation without you, but that shouldn’t be a problem because you’d be wearing this cam.

I am planning on putting a camera on the lower right corner of my windscreen aimed at the driver seat.

Center dashbord with a wide FOV will also give you a good capture if anyone get in your face via the driverside window.

Or you can mount on sunvisor up high.

Here i am using mobius cameras, that will work fine in daylight, but will not give a good result in low light.

I really want an interior cam...one that can cover the FOV like yours. I bought a mobius for one but never found a good place to put it...no mount. After thinking about it I left it alone but may try it...I’m not sure if I want my face in it though.
My front facing cam is in the way so it would be too low to mount it below on the windshield...tried it on the side and eeeh...nothing great...I’m jealous though

Yeah when uploading footage from such cam, better scan it first to make sure its not one of those moments where you have a finger up the nose or something else :D

This are just test recordings to see what i can expect, the M2 recording i used a suction cup mount, the other one i think are recorded with a X cam and using its clip mount on the passenger side sun visor.

Back