Opportunity to help science and to improve road safety!

Dashcam Dataset

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Dear dash cam users,

We are looking for your videos to improve road safety. Each year still over one million people get killed by car accidents. Current research to improve safety focuses on cities in Europe and the United States, but we want to change that and need your help!

We are researchers from the Austrian Institute of Technology (http://ait.ac.at ) and are currently collecting videos of road scenes from all over the world to make roads safer worldwide. The collection will be made publicly available free of charge, so that anybody can work on this important topic.

We would like your permission to use small parts of your videos under the CC-BY-NC 4.0 license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/). We will compile individual frames from your video material and from many others and put it on our homepage.

If you want to help us: Please contact us via dashcamdataset(at)gmail(dot)com or here at the forum and tell/show us the videos you would be willing to share with us.
Please note that the resolution must be at least 1,920 x 1,080.

We are interested in any video content that could be helpful to improve road safety, for example: bad weather, unusual items on the street, night scenes, construction work, interesting landscape, direct sunlight, ...
We are also very grateful about any other ideas/pointers you have for us to collect more diverse dash cam videos.

For more details, please visit https://vitro-testing.com/test-data/dashcam-annotations/ or post any open questions you have.

Thank you for your time and greetings from Vienna,
The AIT VITRO research group

Last edited:
Feel free to go to my YouTube channel and use whatever you think is valuable for your research from any of my 203 compilations. My channel's address is in my signature. Due to the forum's rules the link is not active but I believe you know what to do to access the channel. ;)

to be fair, youtube in general is the best possible source rather than asking people here to provide things, almost as if sending us out to look for stuff, it's really not necessary

more importantly... I have no idea who the OP is, whether their identity is honest, whether their requests are legitimate and with honest intentions, and why indeed they didn't think of going to youtube first and searching for videos so easily/readily available

Maybe it's all above board, but I'm just not the trusting type

to be fair, youtube in general is the best possible source rather than asking people here to provide things, almost as if sending us out to look for stuff, it's really not necessary

more importantly... I have no idea who the OP is, whether their identity is honest, whether their requests are legitimate and with honest intentions, and why indeed they didn't think of going to youtube first and searching for videos so easily/readily available

I would guess they're not keen on doing their own research and looking through hundreds of hours of footage and hoping that people would shortcut that process for them by pointing directly at the material they need, when there's nothing in it for those that would submit the footage I don't really know that there's a whole lot of incentive

Also, since most of us are in Europe or USA, there is even less incentive since they want to halt research on road safety in our countries:
Current research to improve safety focuses on cities in Europe and the United States, but we want to change that and need your help!
So presumably are not interested in our videos!

If they want Russian and Indian videos of unsafe driving then there shouldn't be any difficulty finding them! But I think European researchers should leave Russia and India to drive in the way they want to drive and to do their own research if they want to. Using European rules for cars would result in their vehicles being ten times more expensive, maybe that is not what they want!

The best way to improve road safety is to go ask the people who live in an area directly what they want to see changed. And that will need to be done in every area individually- there is no way to apply standards universally- because what works in one place may not work in another ;) As an example, my State has standard requirements for intersections which traffic lights are to be installed at. Those standards prevent the installation of traffic lights in many places where they are badly needed and could otherwise be safely implemented. You can't tear down a historical building to put in an unneeded turning lane, nor can small towns buu the land needed to do that, but that's what you'd have to do according to the State rules or you can't put a traffic light there :mad:

Each case is an individual and if anything will help it is by reducing the restrictions and regulations, not by increasing them. The rest is common sense as experienced by local drivers who daily use those roads and best know what the problems are :D It's the traffic engineers who have caused many of the problems so I do not expect those same people to be able to fix the problems :rolleyes:

Phil

Dear Module 79L, many thanks for your support and your permission to use frames of your videos. We will of course provide you and your channel as reference and acknowledgement for each frame that we use.

Concerning the other questions:
So far, we did collect most of the video frames from YouTube and we are looking for both, Europe/US and other countries. We contact the authors of all the relevant videos that we find and ask for their permission.
Since not all dash cam users post all their videos on YouTube, we are hoping that we might be able to find some more frames by asking people in forums like this one.

The main issue with available data sets is that their content is largely inner-city or highway with good weather and regular traffic. That is why we are looking for any kind of video which adds diversity to this content, for example: night scenes, construction work, rural areas, "unusual" driving maneuvers, rare vehicles, and much more.

We are thankful for all the YouTube users that already kindly granted permission to use frames of their videos.
We highly appreciate any kind of support from this forum community as by Module 79L. Of course, we fully respect that every user is free to decide on their own if he/she would like to contribute.

We are happy to answer any additional questions that you may have.

Best regards,
The AIT VITRO research group

I'm the first person to be very weary about these kind of footage requests from unknown people, so if I gave the ok it was because I looked into it.
It seems you took all your conclusions from the OP's text only. Besides, they're asking for permition to use stills, not clips or entire videos, and it seems clear that they're the ones who select the stills they find useful.

Back