Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

Yeah i was thinking that too, though it is way back on the vehicle it should not matter much with a wide angle lens, and back there you could also install the camera a bit higher.

Sooner or later some one will take the plunge, but i fear many of the first models will be less than desirable when it come to the side cameras as they will probably use what ever little camera housings already on the market.

Those fisheye-lenses could do the trick, i assume. I've seen those lenses that makes a almost 180degree view from the side of the car, that stuff would be my way to go when doing the sides for my Audi.
Problem being, i reeeeaaaally like the form-factor of the Blackvues, i'm really not digging them boxy cams that goes for Mobius and others, and i do not assume that blackvue ever comes to their senses and does a swapable lense-thingie for the users.. Sadly enough.

Last edited:
The most cars nowadays in regards to Sedans and Hatchbacks has a small glass window behind the rear-seats as seen in the video you've linked.
These windows are most commonly not being subjected to the curtain-airbags as these deploy to protect the passengers head against side-hittings where the rear passenger doors are located. Not further back in the car.

The proper place to install side-cameras is at the D-pillar for those cars that have the glass-window (Sedans, Limo and Hatchbacks) at the rear end.

Those who don't have that, etc. a Kia Rio which also would be a hatchback although a smaller model i think the best advice would be, to place the camera as far down from the roof as possible, to avoid it to come into conflict with the side curtains that also are installed in that kind of car, possible on the trim of the door.

I definitely agree with you about making use of the D pillar sealed rear "port window" if you happen to have one.

I definitely agree with you about making use of the D pillar sealed rear "port window" if you happen to have one.
That was going to be my next side cam test project, using that rear side window. A simple tube camera like the B1W could work well attached to the top of the window, if you don't like the boxy mobius shape.

Works for me (wires are neater now than when I took this picture). The only 'problem' is the glass is angled a bit away from the front of the vehicle. It would be better if it were more parallel to the center line.
SideMount.JPG

That was going to be my next side cam test project, using that rear side window. A simple tube camera like the B1W could work well attached to the top of the window, if you don't like the boxy mobius shape.

There's also the Mobius remote lens option for DIY types. :) In fact, I believe the remote lens module option on the Mobius could solve a number of side camera challenges, depending upon the vehicle.

Works for me (wires are neater now than when I took this picture). The only 'problem' is the glass is angled a bit away from the front of the vehicle. It would be better if it were more parallel to the center line.
View attachment 34311

The other day I recommended the use of furniture wedges if you need to increase the up/down aiming angle for an SG9665GC or similar camera. Those same wedges (or something similar) can be used to aim a wedge shaped camera to the left or right.

wedges.jpg

Are you refering to Blueskyesea's B1W?

The other day I recommended the use of furniture wedges if you need to increase the up/down aiming angle for an SG9665GC or similar camera. Those same wedges (or something similar) can be used to aim a wedge shaped camera to the left or right.

View attachment 34317
Already on my Amazon 'wish list' for when I place my next order. (y)

Already on my Amazon 'wish list' for when I place my next order. (y)

The hard foam ones work fine (as seen above) but I find I prefer the solid plastic or nylon type. I've also made my own custom wedges from hardwood using a table saw. If you want a specific angle, that's the best method.

Those fisheye-lenses could do the trick, i assume. I've seen those lenses that makes a almost 180degree view from the side of the car, that stuff would be my way to go when doing the sides for my Audi.
Problem being, i reeeeaaaally like the form-factor of the Blackvues, i'm really not digging them boxy cams that goes for Mobius and others, and i do not assume that blackvue ever comes to their senses and does a swapable lense-thingie for the users.. Sadly enough.

There is no need for a fisheye or "ultra wide" lateral facing lens. Here is an example of the coverage from a Mobius C2 lens (131º). If you have a look at THIS post you can see how this lens provides significant overlap with the front and rear cameras on a pick-up truck, enough to provide "more" than 360º coverage around the vehicle.

You certainly don't need a Mobius, just a camera with a similar FOV.

dinoside.jpg

This image probably provides a better example of the coverage from this lens. The camera is mounted at the top of a fixed rear window in an extra cab pick-up.
mainstreet.jpg

Last edited:
I think i've read about one that showed the borders of each camera (4-way) with a FOV i can't remember, but he showed that he had obtained full 360º view from the cameras inside the car.
I assume that, like the picture above it was something like this i read about. :)

And well, it was the post you just referred to... LOL

Daum that car is YELLOW :)

yes they really go out of their way to make sure the Hyundai Veloster doesn't blend in. loud colors, weird styling, weird back door handle placement (yes, that's a 4-door car)....

have you driven one at all, they've tried to make it look sporty I guess but what a dog of a car they are

weird back door handle placement (yes, that's a 4-door car)....
I think Hyundai found their idea for design from the 2012 Honda Civic..

Looks quite similar actually.
Honda~Civic~(6).jpg

All of a sudden Firstscene pops up everywhere, who are these guys, what's their deal, have you seen the X6? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ould-be-the-best-night-vision-dash-cam.31295/

"should-be-the-best-night-vision-dash-cam"?? Posting this without samples, come on? There is a few sample on YT, and it does seem ok, but he best?

And the thing is HUGE! It looks pretty enough, but what use? I don't want thát TV in my windscreen.....

In God we trust- everyone else will need to show us the vids as proof :ROFLMAO:

One thing has changed since my last post in this thread: I've been testing a B1W and it would do very well for a side cam if you can mount it high enough, which this form-factor will be easier than most ;) Mounting is an issue with any cam on the sides since there are so many different configurations of glass and trim on all the different cars. It would be nearly impossible for any cam maker or seller to supply enough mount variations so that their cam would fit everyone's vehicle perfectly :whistle: Especially on the sides you're probably going to need some DIY and creativity to get a perfect install :cool:

Phil

All of a sudden Firstscene pops up everywhere, who are these guys, what's their deal, have you seen the X6? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ould-be-the-best-night-vision-dash-cam.31295/

"should-be-the-best-night-vision-dash-cam"?? Posting this without samples, come on? There is a few sample on YT, and it does seem ok, but he best?

And the thing is HUGE! It looks pretty enough, but what use? I don't want thát TV in my windscreen.....
Dear @dirkzerlf, we appreciate for your comments, and will let our colleague to make revise.
Because some of our clients told us that Good Night Vision Recording is very important, therefore, we spent much times & efforts in developing X6, we are sincerely hope that the end-users will be satisfied with its super night vision recording.
And, why we make 4.5" IPS display screen? Because Firstscene X6 support Back Camera, which can display the Parking Assist Line automatically when back the Car, and the bigger screen can help the users to see more clearly.
Thank you for your time, all the best with you.:)

Dear @dirkzerlf, we appreciate for your comments, and will let our colleague to make revise.
Because some of our clients told us that Good Night Vision Recording is very important, therefore, we spent much times & efforts in developing X6, we are sincerely hope that the end-users will be satisfied with its super night vision recording.
And, why we make 4.5" IPS display screen? Because Firstscene X6 support Back Camera, which can display the Parking Assist Line automatically when back the Car, and the bigger screen can help the users to see more clearly.
Thank you for your time, all the best with you.:)

1st thing is that I had never heard before of your company, and 2nd thing is that you need to prove your statement in product information, so If you say it is the best night recording, you need to prove it with video samples.

Just randomly accepting / granting what some end users tell you, could embarrass you in the end.....

And for the size, it's really inviting the bad guys to break in to our cars and steal the large and attractive equipment. Dashcams should always be as invisible as possible, for this particular reason.

Last edited:
Back