Buying from China.

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I thought I would post a problem I had and it's outcome.

I have a little lamp I use as a night light next to my bed when getting up in the middle of the night. It uses Halogen 10 to 20w bulbs, well one blew the other day so I went to Lowe's and purchased 2, Cost $14.69!!!!!
That just didn't sit well with me at all. So I went to AliExpress and found 20 bulbs (G4 12v 10w bulbs) for $3.80 and free shipping! These were the High Quality type, their were others a lot cheaper, but I thought I would splurge! LOL

Point of this is the one that blew was made in China. When I went to return the one I didn't use I was in line with about 6 people behind me. when the girl asked me why I was returning it I said in a LOUD clear voice that I was outraged by the price and found I could get 20 of them from China for $3.80.
The lady said the ones from China would not last a week. I replied that the one that blew was made in China along with the lamp and I had bought it at Lowe's, so she didn't know what she was talking about.
When I was turning to go all these people wanted to know how I got them and the particulars, could they get other stuff also. I said yes and told them about AliExpress.
People were thanking me right and left, like I was an old friend. Maybe it will catch on and get some of these outlandish prices lowered in this country.

You do know that those 20W Halogen lights are totally outdated these days and will cost you a fortune in electricity relative to the 3W LED lamps you could have got which would also have produced more light?

In fact they are so environmentally unfriendly that they are illegal here!

Halogen for a night light? LED's are better and last.
Buying from China makes one think how much local retailers cost actually is. I saw on Alibaba wholesale bulk cost is so cheap. I like buying from China. Not expensive items that needs after sale service. Simple iems that if it don't work, I just throw it away.

You do know that those 20W Halogen lights are totally outdated these days and will cost you a fortune in electricity relative to the 3W LED lamps you could have got which would also have produced more light?

In fact they are so environmentally unfriendly that they are illegal here!

Yes I know, somewhat. I like the lamp, It's a small replica of the War of the Worlds alien ship that spews the death ray complete with fully adjustable goose neck that looks just like the original alien ship (I use 10w bulbs). I haven't seen the lamp anywhere since I purchased it 4 years ago. As for the electricity used, I doubt it costs over $2.00 a year the way it's used so I'm not afraid of going broke.

The main point of the story was for you guys to see that it's worth investigating the cost of things you use from China instead of where ever else you happen to live, that way you can cut out the middle men (high priced stores that buy China and sell to you), it could be tooth brushes to cars, or whatever!

I wasn't suggesting you replace the lamp, just the Halogen bulb by an LED version, should be no problem finding a suitable "LED G4 12v" bulb, and as Bungus suggests, you will probably never have to replace it again.

(Don't normally call the LED ones "bulbs" since they are not bulbs!)

Well to be honest i am quite good in blowing bulbs, it dont really matter if it is regular - halogen or LED, i dont get it the power grid here in Denmark are pretty state of the art, and i assume why google procured yet another datacenter lot here.
And its not like it is one lamp that do it, it must be some kind of geeky monkey on my back haunting me.

Back