First time Dashcam just arrived. I have questions.

Captain

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received my new Street Guardian. SG9665GC I have some questions. Is the idea to mount it behind the rear view mirror so the driver can't see it and be distracted? It came with Samsung chips. I assume you put the little one in the camera. What about the big one? And what is the thing that looks like a flash drive. The instruction book is no help at all. I have laptop not a smartphone. Help!

Is the idea to mount it behind the rear view mirror so the driver can't see it and be distracted?
This is where most people mount it. Not always possible to get it totally behind the RVM.

It came with Samsung chips. I assume you put the little one in the camera.
Yes, the little one (MicroSD card) goes in the camera.

What about the big one?
The big one is actually an adapter so you can use the MicroSD card in a device with only a standard SD card slot.

And what is the thing that looks like a flash drive.

Just another adapter so you can use the card in a USB port.

The instruction book is no help at all.

The one that came with the camera is a quick start guide. Full manual can be found on the SG web site.
https://streetguardian.info/support

I assume the GC came with a micro SD memory card, that might be paired with a micro to SD adapter.
Of top of that should be a little USB reader the suze of a USB plug whice you can use to read the micro sd card on a compyter in case you dont have a card reader.

It should be items 22 and 23 in this pic.

128GB%20SG9665GC%20V3%20(2)-700x700_0.jpg

Your laptop might have a SD card reader build in, and it are probably full size SD card size, so if you have that you will need the adapter (22 )
If not there are a little slit on the card reader ( 23 ) into which the micro sd card will fit so you can use it as a card reaader in a USB plug on the laptop

Last edited:
A little video of me fingering the android OTG / USB card reader.

I am totally dashcam illiterate. What I need is a step by step instruction. The Street Guard site didn't help much. Assume you're explaining it to a child. Or dashcam for dummies. I put the little card in. Then what? Step by step. 1,2,3.

The video is not in English. Not much help!

How do I view footage on my laptop?

O yeah Jon are the man, he can guide you thru setup on the phone no problem.

but put simple, once you have put the memory card in the camera you are good to turn it on.
It should then just start to record, or maybe first ask for the memory card to be formatted, if it need a format just yes to it and then after that it should start to record.
You have to stop recording by pressing the rec button, the red LED still stop flashing and the little red record dot in the corner of the screen will go away indicating recording have stopped.
Enter menu by pressing that button, use the 2 buttons on the right to move up and down in the menu, use the big button to enter where you like to make changes, for instance you will want to set your time zone, the clock should get updated according to GPS satellite.

Feel free to mess around in the menus, there are a reset to default if you mess things up, it do take a little trial and error to figure out the buttons and changing stuff, but just play around you can not break anything.

To playback footage just take out the memory card ( when camera are off ) put it in the little slot on the USB card reader and plug that into a USB slot on your laptop, the laptop should automatic detect the card reader with the memory card in it as a harddrive you can enter and go thru the folders to play the files.
the files should be able to play with what ever player software you have on the PC, i use windows 10 and its build in file player to review footage.
You can also use a dedicated player for dashcams, this will then have a map too where you can see your route and other information, registrator viewer are fine for the GC model, it can be downloaded from street guardians site.

Here is a little video i made on how to use registrator viewer to playback, or export / bundle several 3 minute files into one larger output file.

Last edited:
I am going for a drive tomorrow to help my friend, but i will check up with this thread when i get home.
If you have not gotten going by then i will make a video tutorial about how to set up and operate the SG9665GC for you, but now its 1 AM and i better go to sleep, will be back in front of the computer around 1800 to see how things are moving along for you.

Wow, Denmark! Never been there. Never spoken to anyone from there. This is a treat. I appreciate your help. I ordered a hardwire kit and will have to do that in the next couple of days, then I will follow your instructions. How's the weather there? I'm in South Carolina and winter is just beginning. We usually have pretty mild winters.

@Captain , I'm in Greenville and if you're near here I can help if you get stuck with anything from install to operation. Might cost you a cup of coffee though ;)

Phil
That's a great offer Phil. But I'm way down in Summerville. I get up there sometimes though. I used to live in Flat Rock near Hendersonville, not far from Greenville. I ordered a hardwire kit today. It is supposed to get here Wed. I THINK I will be able to do that..but it's nice to know you have my back!

I did a job in Summerville April this year. Not likely to be back down that way again though as I dropped that contract. Should have went to RB's in Mt Pleasant while I was down that way- my favorite seafood place in the world :)

Phil

Well things dident turn out as expected ( happen a lot for me these days it seem )
Last night i was wrenching a little on my little RC truck on the living room table, and now its the #2 time i done that and then go to bed and wake up some hours later with a splitting headache, so now i am on the third batch of 1000 mg pain killers, and things are starting to light up a little.

Will do a little drive in my car later and retrieve my SG9665GC by then, until then i will brainstorm what recorder to use for the demo, but i think it have to be my phone as the action cameras are not really able to get up close with the little LCD screen on the GC

Better hit up the DOC online later for a new batch of the moderate pain killers, and ask for some of the really strong ones cuz emptying my friends dead fathers house will no doubt throw out my back, and when that happen and in spite of me not being unfamiliar with pain, then the pain the back can give really do feel like a imminent heart attack as its in the chest the pain manifest itself.

Video being processed now, hang in there :D

Back