hit and run, cant see plate number. Anyone to help?

Didn't look at the vid, but it's all the help I can offer in these situations :whistle:

Phil

Didn't look at the vid, but it's all the help I can offer in these situations :whistle:

Phil

helpful posts, but not for this particular bit of footage, he never got close enough, it's poor lighting, and he has a filthy windscreen, the odds are stacked against him on this one

not sure if you downloaded the video but I don't think anything will help him
Seems to be a problem that the camera is facing the wrong direction at the time of the incident and there is no evidence that the car that was chased was the right one.

To get the plate we need to use a technique similar to:
:sneaky:

Seems to be a problem that the camera is facing the wrong direction at the time of the incident and there is no evidence that the car that was chased was the right one.

assuming it was the right one and that's what he was asking for help with he never got close enough and was driving over some crappy roads, not exactly the ideal situation

I guess there's a level of assumed guilt once the guy does a runner, until that point though I would have questioned what portion of blame they should have had, sure he was pulling out of a side street but the actions of the camera car weren't the best either

I guess there's a level of assumed guilt once the guy does a runner, until that point though I would have questioned what portion of blame they should have had, sure he was pulling out of a side street but the actions of the camera car weren't the best either
We can't actually see that the other car was moving at the time of the collision. If we were in a long wheelbase vehicle then you would assume it was us that collided with a stationary car while cutting the corner. I would expect the insurance to go 50/50. Also I'm not sure that is clear that the guy did a runner, he wasn't driving slowly, but didn't seem that fast either, only just fast enough to get away.

We can't actually see that the other car was moving at the time of the collision. If we were in a long wheelbase vehicle then you would assume it was us that collided with a stationary car while cutting the corner. I would expect the insurance to go 50/50. .

can't say it looked fault free based on the evidence provided, I went back and watched it a few times at that point of impact and it does sound like when he straightened out the indicator turned off, and then he turned cutting the corner, from the other guys perspective that may have been interpreted as the guy changing his mind and deciding to go straight and he's rolled forward, and then he's gone for the turn anyway, bit of a grey area I would think as far as assigning blame 100% on one party

can't say it looked fault free based on the evidence provided, I went back and watched it a few times at that point of impact and it does sound like when he straightened out the indicator turned off, and then he turned cutting the corner, from the other guys perspective that may have been interpreted as the guy changing his mind and deciding to go straight and he's rolled forward, and then he's gone for the turn anyway, bit of a grey area I would think as far as assigning blame 100% on one party
+1

That sucks, hit and run. The other guy even turned his lights off to through you off his trail as you followed in the dark. If only you were able to accelerate a bit faster to catch up quicker.

There are several frames that might get a front plate but I couldn't even see if there was one at the angle that car was at. I still think it better to give folks what help I can- perhaps a partial plate might emerge or something and be of some use to them. And they will know more on what to expect in the future. It's sad when something like this happens but had they known what to expect maybe they could have used their high beams in time when the car was close, or made certain to get the plate number by eye.

Learning isn't always pleasant but is always a good thing if it prevents repeated problems ;)

Phil

It looks like the car in question never had headlights on to start with. It does look like the cam car just tried to charge through and complete the turn. I'm not sure if the car with no lights rolled forward, or what, but there wasn't much clearance.

Innocent people don't run

Back