What to expect from Dual Channel Remote dashcam?

kandrey89

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama X2, GoPro 3/3+ Black
Here are some of the features that I hope will make it into the SG dual channel remote dashcam.

1. Each camera records to its own microSD card, even with 256GB, sometimes you want to keep the videos longer than 2 days worth of driving. Either that or a SATA port for an SSD disk. 500GB SSD costs the same as a 256GB microSD card, speeds are better and you can then write both cameras to the same disk.
  2. Bit rate is at least 18Mbit/s each on 1080p30.
  3. Storage is divided into 3 sections/folders, each is given a certain % of total card space: Parking, Event, Normal
  4. Within each storage container, the data write is looped and overwritten, yes, event event folder, this avoids having your dashcam stop recording because it filled up with event recordings. Because the event folder is seldom written to, 95% of writes occur due to bumps in the road triggering G-event and are unwanted, by having event overwritable, you allow the dashcam to continue recording without having to take out the storage card and manually delete all those damned g-event recordings.
  5. Cameras have sturdy mounts, I've had solid looking mounts on picture, but the screw wouldn't hold it for long and the mount would wobble. Also since the cables are quite thick, the strain in the cable itself would be liable to turn the camera. We're talking remote cameras, hence the issue.
  6. Availability of weatherproof cameras for outside install.
  7. Lighted event button: a stereo plug connector that leads to a round button holder case, the button lights up when the camera is recording, this is useful to know if the remote dashcam is working properly or not, since the main body is likely to be hidden and the cameras themselves should be kept discrete, meaning no LEDs on them. Pressing this button, triggers an event that places the current video into the event folder for safekeeping. I would mount this button within my reach, and where I could see it to confirm cameras are working. This is a bit for DIY, make sure the PCB inside for the button has a resistor in series with the LED in case people want to make the LED dimmer or brighter, because it might not be appropriate to have this button be glaringly obvious.
  8. Parking mode is a must. Needs to be able to work for preset X number of hours, or infinite time/until battery runs out. Some people might want to install Li-Ion battery backups instead of using their car battery.
  9. No driver assisting bull****. Dashcams are for video recording, not for assisting drivers with "watch out there's a car in front of you" or "slow the fk down" or "red light".
  10. No bling on remote cameras, completely black, screws, mounts, etc. You can put your big fat logo on the remote body where it won't be seen from outside the car.
  11. Dashcam body should only use one side for connections, this is so it can fit into smaller places and cables can be routed easily. Better to make the case a little bit larger to fit all the connectors than have the cables taking up room as they route to the box and require a minimum bend radius.
  12. Have a feature to automatically switch from 1080p60 to 1080p30 mode using a pre programmed time of day. 1080p30 during the night to help with low light scenes and 1080p60 during the day to utilize that extra light for extra frames and smoothness and detail.
Feel free to expand the list...
I might add more as I remember it. I should just start a proper excel list, define an ERS, engineering requirement specification.

Last edited:
It sure which are impossible, but they all seem like good ideas to me. I would rather have a wireless (BT LE, presumably) event record button like a FLIC than to have to figure out how to route another cord around to where a lighted button can be positioned to be easily reached but not accidentally pressed.

I agree about the safe driving features. I do a facepalm when I see this. You want safer driving features get a new car. Leave dash cams to just dash cams.

I’m just here, patiently waiting...

Ditto.
And while i started with tethered things like planes, then when it come to dashcams i have absolutely on interest in going modern and wireless, not even if that entailed more fancy features and a more easy install.

Very roughly, how far is the dual channel remote lens away from release does anyone know?
One, two, or three months?
Or 6 or 12 months???

Is there a model number for this?

O :eek: "DR" give me bad associations as that's the acronym for Danish Radio ( and TV ) that is forced upon all Danes.

Too bad it work that way here, so it kinda ruin it for me though it id the station i watch the most as commercials do me in even more.
Still it dont suprice me it will get that name :)

I was thinking the DR will that then be 2 similar cameras housings, or will it still have a front and a rear camera ?

I would assume having the same housing will be preferred over funding R&D / molds for 2 different housings.

I was thinking the DR will that then be 2 similar cameras housings, or will it still have a front and a rear camera ?

I would assume having the same housing will be preferred over funding R&D / molds for 2 different housings.

the current style DC rear cam will be one option, we have some others coming also

I’m looking forward to it. Got the GC v3 up front and the XS v2 stuck on the rear windshield, replacing a cheap TaoTronics lightning deal from Amazon. I’m so pissed because the TaoTronics mount fell apart and I didn’t know it, and I didn’t have a rear recording of when I got pulled over for not quite stopping at a stop sign. Argh!

Hoping for a sleek and discreet setup with small cameras that really only need an event button that I know of. Any chance of something more advanced like WiFi for streaming so you can align the cameras or even review recordings—even self-install updates? Not even strictly necessary, just would be nice to have. Selectable parking mode would be nice...maybe even possible with internal flash storage in the remote CPU?

13. Cost $99/79€ or less

Last edited:
Hoping for a sleek and discreet setup with small cameras that really only need an event button that I know of. Any chance of something more advanced like WiFi for streaming so you can align the cameras or even review recordings—even self-install updates? Not even strictly necessary, just would be nice to have. Selectable parking mode would be nice...maybe even possible with internal flash storage in the remote CPU?

most of this is covered already

It would be nice to know what kindness of power we could expect, too, whether straight 12V like the XS or if it has to be stepped down to 5V and put on a mini or maybe micro USB connector.

Good to know, thank you! Trying to plan and future-proof :)

Back