Gitup G3 Video Thread

G3 Duo vs Sony Action Cam AS-20
Wich one do you prefer?
Did you forget to turn the Sony's stabilisation on?
The sound from the Sony seems too noisy, I know the G3 has good volume when set to high...

Sony Stabilisation is on.
The sound from sony it's the real sound...in that place the sound of the sea and waves is very loud.
The sound from g3 is weaker compared to sony. G3 sound is low...even with setting on high.

BUT...in this case the sound from G3 got even lower CAUSE the g3 sound input was covered by the sony body...
by other words...G3 was leaning against sony...tapping the sound entrance...don't know if I passed the idea...hope I made myself clear ;)

Sony Stabilisation is on.
The sound from sony it's the real sound...in that place the sound of the sea and waves is very loud.
The sound from g3 is weaker compared to sony. G3 sound is low...even with setting on high.

BUT...in this case the sound from G3 got even lower CAUSE the g3 sound input was covered by the sony body...
by other words...G3 was leaning against sony...tapping the sound entrance...don't know if I passed the idea...hope I made myself clear ;)
Yes, understood :)

Were you using the waterproof case? I would expect the G3 to be too quiet with the case on, I've found it OK without the case.

Also, what colour setting did you use? I normally use "Colorful" on the G3 which might of been closer to the Sony colours...

Not using WP Case.
I like to use Colorful too! On Normal seting the colors are to weak...and Vivid are too strong...so Colorful is my preference!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, just a couple of questions if anyone would happen to know.

The FOV of the G3 is 170. Is this a real 170 degree FOV which would be much more wide angled than a gopro and similar to the Nikon KeyMission 170?

How would you consider the video quality of this G3 compared to say a gopro hero 6 or other newer action cameras. Nobody has really stated if this camera is any good or not compared to others so I have no idea how you guys think this compares to other action cameras out there.

Would this camera have better video quality than my Gopro hero 3 silver?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the Gitup G3 duo and got bitten by 2 major problems:
1) External Mic Issue: Even whene you connect an external mic to the camera, the camera picks up audio from both Internal & External. So it serves no purpose for motovlogging. Upon further research got to kno that this is a hardware issue and cant be fixed by software updates. Well if this is the problem, then dont GITUP tests their products before releasing. On top of that, they market it also as a USP for this camera. Will we get any fix for this problem? I think i wasted my money on this camera and the external mic i purchased for motovlogging. It would have been better if i would have gone with GoPro which is bit pricey than these but offers noise cancellation and reliability.
Does someone have any picture where we can see from where the Gitup internal mic is picking the audio from, so that we can block it through some tape or something?

2) Andorid APP wifi connectivity: If you connect the camera with the app through wifi, you can only use the camera through the controls available in the app, NOT through the buttons on the camera. The camera hardware buttons will get disabled the moment you connect it to the phone via wifi. This is very bad. If iam riding a bike and my phone is in my pockets and i wanted to start the recording while riding, then i cant do so because the buttons are disabled. I need to stop, take out the phone and then hit the record button on the app to make it work. Any fix for this?

These are hardware limitations of the G3. If you will use the camera o ly with external mic then you can open up the cam and disable the internal mic by removing it or the wires. I haven't tried this but guess it would woulk

There might be a work around for the Android app issue but I wouldn't know as don't own the G3 and went with the Git2p instead as it much better settings for external mic and batteries are not propriety

These are hardware limitations of the G3. If you will use the camera o ly with external mic then you can open up the cam and disable the internal mic by removing it or the wires. I haven't tried this but guess it would woulk

There might be a work around for the Android app issue but I wouldn't know as don't own the G3 and went with the Git2p instead as it much better settings for external mic and batteries are not propriety

Who is that intelligent person who designed the hardware like this. When they say it supports External mic then its by default understood that internal mic will be disabled. Has anyone seen - when you insert headphones into any 3.5mm jack, does the speaker also plays? No, rite... I just wasted my money :( Should have gone with GoPro

It's probably due to hardware constraints packing it all in. Sell it and get a gopro.. not sure why you didn't in the first place. Oh yeah probably cause of the price lol

Hondu, where do you get your information from? I'm sorry but it's clear you don't have any clue what you are talking about here when you actually suggest someone mess around with desoldering a microphone from a circuitboard then disclaim "I haven't tried it but it would work" -- no!!! DO NOT try this, it is a terrible idea for far too many reasons.

Also, Hondu, how do you know it is a hardware limitation? Has GitUp weighed in on the issue as of yet? I am sorry but if you don't know electronincs 101 and are actually recommending people tear apart their devices and screw around in such a nonchalant manner then I can't believe you when you broadly conclude it is a hardware limitation. I've soldered numerous boards but would never even consider this as something I would tackle. it's unheard of.

Before anything else, try tape. Yes, just tape over that hole in the camera body where the internal mic picks up sound. It will muffle the noise significantly, and may even solve the problem. Cheap and easy!

It is also clear you haven't seriously looked at different products when you actually suggest that a good replacement is a GoPro. You clearly don't know what you're talking about when you say they are a good brand here. GoPro is nothing more than a brand name with no substance these days (seriously, search around these forums -- the only time they see positive light is when you say "mount" or "style" alongside it). They have been for a while. Nighttime use is and always has been abysmal (a strong point for GitUp) with insane levels of noise involved, and image comparison tests just do not work well in GoPro's favor even during the day when color is an issue.

Do us a favor: before acting like GoPro is king of the world, check out the actual ranking for this site: the home page dashcamtalk.com , and look at a few others. You will notice GoPro isn't even there and there is a damn good reason for that. Far better cams exist for far cheaper. GitUp is one such brand that continues to not disappoint, but there are other brands too.

And for the record, my GitUp Git1 blows my GoPros out of the water on comparison videos any day of the week, especially when points of light are introduced (LED's etc.), and doubly so at night (or, perhaps more practically for car vlogs, tunnels and bridges). I have two that I still use for YouTube videos myself and despite being discontinued due to newer technology, GoPro has yet to make hardware that comes close. That says a lot about how abysmal GoPros really are that a camera made what, three years ago I think? Still outperforms current offerings.

Bottom line is this: please, unless you actually know what you're talking about, don't just spout nonsense. It's not helpful and at worse, someone may just tear apart their apart their camera under bad advice to try and solve a problem, destroy it, and be left with an expensive brick, and then buy a device that doesn't even meet their needs. We are all here to learn and share but that right there is just levels of dangerously bad suggestions I haven't seen on this forum to date, and utmost caution needs to be urged. Don't tear apart devices guys, unless it's clear that's an okay thing to do (Mobius cams case in point). Ask the manufacturer first, and don't believe everything you read on the internet blindly.

Now, addressing the root of the problem DineshKumarDora is facing, in lieu of a firmware solution, try electrical tape (layer them up if need be) over the hole for the internal mic, combined with one of those "underwater" style GoPro mounts. The cheap clear plastic ones that are watertight. Essentially, the point is to literally muffle the internal mic while also protecting the cam from dirt, grime, etc. If done right, the noise should be so inaudible that it can be ignorable. If all else fails, a recording device isn't a bad thought (Android has a few apps for recording audio for example -- by the way, disable WiFi for car trips so it doesn't interfere with the cam), then video editing can sync it up. OpenShot is fairly full-featured and free software for video editing if you need it, there's one with AVI in its name people use too for more basic tasks, but I like the boatload of extra features OpenShot provides.

Hondu, where do you get your information from? I'm sorry but it's clear you don't have any clue what you are talking about here when you actually suggest someone mess around with desoldering a microphone from a circuitboard then disclaim "I haven't tried it but it would work" -- no!!! DO NOT try this, it is a terrible idea for far too many reasons.

Also, Hondu, how do you know it is a hardware limitation? Has GitUp weighed in on the issue as of yet? I am sorry but if you don't know electronincs 101 and are actually recommending people tear apart their devices and screw around in such a nonchalant manner then I can't believe you when you broadly conclude it is a hardware limitation. I've soldered numerous boards but would never even consider this as something I would tackle. it's unheard of.

Before anything else, try tape. Yes, just tape over that hole in the camera body where the internal mic picks up sound. It will muffle the noise significantly, and may even solve the problem. Cheap and easy!

It is also clear you haven't seriously looked at different products when you actually suggest that a good replacement is a GoPro. You clearly don't know what you're talking about when you say they are a good brand here. GoPro is nothing more than a brand name with no substance these days (seriously, search around these forums -- the only time they see positive light is when you say "mount" or "style" alongside it). They have been for a while. Nighttime use is and always has been abysmal (a strong point for GitUp) with insane levels of noise involved, and image comparison tests just do not work well in GoPro's favor even during the day when color is an issue.

Do us a favor: before acting like GoPro is king of the world, check out the actual ranking for this site: the home page dashcamtalk.com , and look at a few others. You will notice GoPro isn't even there and there is a damn good reason for that. Far better cams exist for far cheaper. GitUp is one such brand that continues to not disappoint, but there are other brands too.

And for the record, my GitUp Git1 blows my GoPros out of the water on comparison videos any day of the week, especially when points of light are introduced (LED's etc.), and doubly so at night (or, perhaps more practically for car vlogs, tunnels and bridges). I have two that I still use for YouTube videos myself and despite being discontinued due to newer technology, GoPro has yet to make hardware that comes close. That says a lot about how abysmal GoPros really are that a camera made what, three years ago I think? Still outperforms current offerings.

Bottom line is this: please, unless you actually know what you're talking about, don't just spout nonsense. It's not helpful and at worse, someone may just tear apart their apart their camera under bad advice to try and solve a problem, destroy it, and be left with an expensive brick, and then buy a device that doesn't even meet their needs. We are all here to learn and share but that right there is just levels of dangerously bad suggestions I haven't seen on this forum to date, and utmost caution needs to be urged. Don't tear apart devices guys, unless it's clear that's an okay thing to do (Mobius cams case in point). Ask the manufacturer first, and don't believe everything you read on the internet blindly.

Now, addressing the root of the problem DineshKumarDora is facing, in lieu of a firmware solution, try electrical tape (layer them up if need be) over the hole for the internal mic, combined with one of those "underwater" style GoPro mounts. The cheap clear plastic ones that are watertight. Essentially, the point is to literally muffle the internal mic while also protecting the cam from dirt, grime, etc. If done right, the noise should be so inaudible that it can be ignorable. If all else fails, a recording device isn't a bad thought (Android has a few apps for recording audio for example -- by the way, disable WiFi for car trips so it doesn't interfere with the cam), then video editing can sync it up. OpenShot is fairly full-featured and free software for video editing if you need it, there's one with AVI in its name people use too for more basic tasks, but I like the boatload of extra features OpenShot provides.

Shep, wow your post is so condescending I wasn't even going to reply. Only because it's filled with errors and poor assumptions I feel the need to address you.

Firstly yes it's a hardware issue and not a software. Git has said so themselves.

The guy is clearly very upset about the mic issue as he rides a motorcycle and vlogs as I do so understand him wan ting to disable the i ternal mic. it's a no brainer to try and cover the mic up, even he suggested it.
I merely gave a mechanical alternative. I didn't mention nothing about soldering or the like so stop putting words in my mouth and your skills mus be lacking 'if your would never atempt anything like that lol'. You make it sound like your average Joe is going to go rip the cam apart just by me saying so!

I think your mistaken I wasn't recommended the gopro, quite the contrary if you bothered reading my post and others on the subject properly I actually recommend the Git2 for people who need it for external mic.

Thanks shep. I will try the tape method. Thanks for your suggestion and workarounds. Well, i also agree with Hondu where he says that its a Hardware issue as in some forum posts @gitup agreed that its a motherboard issue. But Gitup also said that this has been fixed in the latest Git3 models. So, my question now is how can we identify whether my cam is from old batch or new batch, as i just recently purchased it? Any serial no series...? I still feel that if at all can be fixed with FW update as they can give a "TurnOff internal mic" option in the cam software which will turn off the power to the internal mic. But this will only work if both internal and external mics are NOT jointly connected to the same point, which i think is the root cause for them to not fix it. My guess...

One question: if i close the airvents on the sides of the Gitup to muffle the audio to Mic, will not the camera heat up? i hope not, that's my only concern. Because apart from the airvent holes i dont see anywhere any holes for mic. Also dismantling the camera is a tricky step as its entirely glued and i dont want to take the risk of breaking open the camera. Rather i will go with a external recorder option and sync it later in post editing, which is not definitely user-friendly from the camera perspective.

Thanks everyone for your response. It would have been great if @gitup could have responded too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Git3 1
Z Git3 2
BCHobbyist Git3 23
I Git3 8
A Git3 13
Back