A119 as Home Security Camera 24/7

Just about the time I get my 'addiction' under control you guys start posting about doing stuff like this. Please stop..... :banghead: :smuggrin:

We will not stop. You will be assimilated. All will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. You MUST buy more cams.

Signed: The Borg-Cam Collective

I am DATA replacing captain Jean Luc Picard of the federation starship enterprise.........

Your technology is now irrelevant and you will now be assimilated

We cannot be assimilated, only slowed down by budget restraints :p We have the superior camera technology and are developing more to combat the inadequately-cammed humans :rolleyes: ALL must have more cams :ROFLMAO:

BTW, I share birthdays with Commander Riker :cool:
Phil

Just to add in this, I would go to say a security camera is not a very high priority for a thief or intruder. In this day and age they know they are most like being recorded and try to hide there identity. Most criminals can burglarize a home in less than ten minutes. that means high dollar items not a security camera.

Is anyone using the A119 as a 24/7 Home Security Camera in "Time-Lapsed Mode"? It is working well for me so far. I simply stick it on to my window. Easy, done! I even use the GPS so that it will automatically keep accurate time (to the second!).

How are you powering this?

Update: I have been running this setup 24/7 in time lapsed mode at 1 FPS for over 8 months now! Works perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I literally have it running 24 hours a day, everyday. I check the videos a few times a month, and everything is recorded as it should. The GPS keeps the time accurate to the second! I’m running the latest firmware.

just wondering if anyone tried some powered mini usb wireless adapter connected to A119 to watch videos wirelesly

Last edited:
the bad thing about this steup is that there is no night vision.. at night, you wouldnt catch a thing if its all dark.

prob should get some cam with IR lights..

the bad thing about this steup is that there is no night vision.. at night, you wouldnt catch a thing if its all dark.

prob should get some cam with IR lights..

IR lights are a joke on dashcams. if you need night vision on a home security cam, don't use a dashcam. even (especially) the ones w/ IR lights are worthless.

IR lights are a joke on dashcams. if you need night vision on a home security cam, don't use a dashcam. even (especially) the ones w/ IR lights are worthless.
yeah, maybe just get a home cam with ir lights lol.

theres a couple of ir lights dual channel dash cams that work ok for cab drivers, but its just a reduced space compared to a living room or something similar.

Any camera with IR must be mounted after the window, not before because IR light will reflect into the window and will make all night video a white image.

enjoy,
Mtz

The A119S with the Sony sensor is a very similar cam and better in low-light conditions. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that it would give equal service. You'd still need some light, just a lot less. IR is a whole different game as most cam lenses have an IR-cut filter.

Phil

I always take a mobius in motion detection on vacation to guard the place we stay at, works great.

:) I do this exact thing with my $20 yi home camera. i place it opposite of the entrance for monitoring purposes. the plus is that it's networked so it will ping my phone whenever it senses movement.

Update: I have been running this setup 24/7 in time lapsed mode at 1 FPS for over 12 months now! Works perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I literally have it running 24 hours a day, everyday. I check the videos a few times a month, and everything is recorded as it should. The GPS keeps the time accurate to the second! I’m running the latest firmware.

It's been a while since you updated :)

Update: I have been running this setup 24/7 in time lapsed mode at 1 FPS for over 1.5 YEARS now! It hasn't missed a beat! No issues whatsoever. I literally have it running 24 hours a day, everyday. I check the videos a few times a month, and everything is recorded as it should. The GPS keeps the time accurate to the second! I’m running the latest firmware.

I just pulled the memory card now to show you a sample file listing. Each file captures 1 hour (condensed to 3 minutes at 1 FPS). I use a 128 GB memory card which holds exactly 2 weeks of videos before it is looped/overwritten.

i3i2c6.png

Tempting ... isn't it ^ :unsure:

If I were to get another Dash Cam ... it would be A119S ... hmm? Would I use it in my Car as a 3rd Cam to film inside the cabin/driver/right side view (L/S in US) ... or ... as a security Camera to view front of House? ... :whistle: ... toss a coin, or go all out and get another 2? OH NO!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello, I had this idea several months ago. Today I use another camera (Toguard CE30) on the mode "motion detection". It records videos of 30 seconds after the detection. But, you are right, the Viofo is better because it can be fixed on a vertical window.

Thanks sharing your experience ! We know that Viofo can be reliable.
All the best !

Back