Wifi !

rjoffe

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got NovaCam, and DOD Dashcam to work under android as well:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dod.dashcam

I tried FNCam as well, and although it connected, and I was able to change camera settings and download video, I was not able t see live view.

Finalcam, I was able to download files, but not change settings or view live

Can't tell you how sweet this is !!! Thank you for this hidden surprise functionality ! (You did say on 12/4/16 "we do have some wifi product coming up")

I know you are working on functionality, but my wish list would be to have the DC auto upload all dashcam footage to a cloud provider (Google, DropBox, BackBlaze) when I pull into my garage.

I think the wifi was mentioned long ago, but just not talked about much as it was clear there was no good app for it at launch, and SG do like to make a good effort to hit it out of the ballpark.

Actually i dident expect the wifi to be in the menus before the perfect app functionality was there.

But no doubt many a wifi addict will rejoice over this free fix :)

I got NovaCam, and DOD Dashcam to work under android as well:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dod.dashcam

I tried FNCam as well, and although it connected, and I was able to change camera settings and download video, I was not able t see live view.

Finalcam, I was able to download files, but not change settings or view live

yeah there's limited functionality with some of the other apps out there, the settings obviously won't be tailored to the options we have available so they might be a bit kluncky in that respect

Can't tell you how sweet this is !!! Thank you for this hidden surprise functionality ! (You did say on 12/4/16 "we do have some wifi product coming up").

we were going to lock it out and not mention it at all until things were ready but in the end figured we might get some useful feedback in the interim and maybe some of the other apps although not ideal might help collect some thoughts and feedback that might be useful

I know you are working on functionality, but my wish list would be to have the DC auto upload all dashcam footage to a cloud provider (Google, DropBox, BackBlaze) when I pull into my garage.

I don't think this would be practical, not based on current technology at least, at some stage maybe it might be possible to just upload event files, not really sure and something that still needs further investigation

I think for that cloud thing to go on there will have to be some form of feedback functionality on the cloud end, so you dont upload several of the same files if the whole card are backed up every chance it get.
Just throwing up the event files to the cloud might be a better idea, if the camera are tuned so it dont generate a lot of false event files like we so often see when people try out event recordings.

I have been thinking on this event and in regard to G-sensor used, if you disabled the up and down axis from event creation, this should rule out many of the pothole events people get, and you should still get a event if you are hit front / back - L & R side.

It is pretty tedious to manually figure out what custom numbers to enter for the G - sensor to not trigger all the time, maybe you could have a training mode so you could enable that and then go for a little ride so your G - sensor could learn what are the normal events at least.
And than that training baseline could be the setoff point for the normal low - med - high settings for G- sensor

I think if you only used selective axis for event trigger that it would probably become less reliable, very hard to get right I think

...maybe you could have a training mode so you could enable that and then go for a little ride so your G - sensor could learn what are the normal events at least.
And than that training baseline could be the setoff point for the normal low - med - high settings for G- sensor
That's really a pretty good idea. I spent a lot of years in S/W development and my sense is that could be implemented relatively easily. One limitation would be the available memory in the camera for the code for the 'learn' mode.

Yeah maybe, i was reasoning that you will not drive onto a land mine and you will not have a helicopter crash on you while driving, so that one axis might be useless after all, but maybe there are also some "MIX" of 2 or more axis that work ?
Just trying to eliminate reasons for creation of unneeded event files using G - sensor.

You could off course just do like Lukas did / do and make it so you can enter custom values for G - sensor trigger, but it did take me a lot of running back and forth between my apartment & computer, and my car to test if new values was better.
But in the end i did reach a point where i only saw like 1 or 2 false event recordings on my 1 hour drive to my friends house.

If there was a automated process for calibrating the G.sensor to your driving style and local road conditions i think that would take you a large part of the way.

Also eying the G - sensor valued for the 3 axis was hard in the lukas player as that part of it was pretty small

Now i am thinking adaptive G - sensor, so it is sort of always in learning mode.

Dammit i am thinking too much at 3:52 in the morning, no wonder i have sleep disorder :) enough OT from me here, back to WIFI

I don't think this would be practical, not based on current technology at least, at some stage maybe it might be possible to just upload event files, not really sure and something that still needs further investigation

Playing for a few minutes, I came up with this rough idea:

Utilize a spare laptop.
When I come home, activate wifi on DC.
Have a quick app running on laptop which will:
1. Regularly scan for the DC wifi
2. When detected, connect and pull down all files using web interface (wget), grab only files past stored date stamp
3. store new date stamp
4. Upload files to cloud service

Something simple like that.

Other questions:

Does the DC have the capability to connect as a wifi client?
Is there room in the firmware to add additional code to handle the upload ?
Is there a published API set for the novatek NT96663?
Do all the android/iOS clients utilize the web API's , or is there another set of API's available?

This would be good, even an option to automatically download the emergency recordings upon connecting to any wifi, phone etc..

Now i am thinking adaptive G - sensor, so it is sort of always in learning mode.

Dammit i am thinking too much at 3:52 in the morning, no wonder i have sleep disorder :) enough OT from me here, back to WIFI
one other big wrench in the gears - every windshield is tilted differently, and since a human does the install, it might not always be perfectly level. so the Z axis would be different for every car. the learning mode is a neat idea, though based on my experimenting with mounting the flight controller at different angles in my quadcopter to make more room inside the frame, you'll get VERY mixed results with that, even after trying to calibrate for the new orientation.

So what app lets you view video (live or perhaps recorded) using the wifi...I tried the ones listed with no success.

The listed apps are the only ones partially working. WiFi is still not advertised or an “official” feature yet. Maybe test with another friend or family member’s phone/tablet.

So what app lets you view video (live or perhaps recorded) using the wifi...I tried the ones listed with no success.

I've had success with NovaCam. It was recently updated to address the "save to photos" bug and iphone X screen adjustment from the very limited English in their release notes.

I did adjust the videos to 2 min per clip because it takes too long to copy video through wifi.

I stand corrected, the first time I tried NovaCam I didn't get anything...this time it worked quite well...however I have no idea what the settings button was showing me :)

Back