Clarification about Nextbase 512GW parking mode.

Andy Amos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I just joined the forum and wanted to say hello. My first post is a little wordy so apologies.

My plan is to purchase a Nextbase 512GW and it's rear camera and have been looking into the features. The parking mode is a bit confusing, I just want to nail down some information on the hardwiring of the camera.

This message was posted on 9th July regarding parking mode on the DUO compared to the 512G (I appreciate this is not the 512GW):

Hi @JDB

The parking mode feature utilises the battery life of the camera.

It has 30 minutes battery life inside, @tabetha is correct for the 402G and 512G models they DO need a permanent live but it is slightly different on the DUO.

The DUO needs an ignition live source, when the unit is off the g-sensor will sense an impact either left/right/forward/back and turn the unit on then recording for 30 seconds in protected mode and then switch off again.

I've shaved the message down a bit to save space but it seems to state that the 512G requires a permanently live fuse for parking mode to work (again I appreciate this is not the GW model).

The next quote is on the 1st August, again cut down to save space:

Hi @Bascule ,

The 412GW and 512GW both have parking mode; when activated in the menu parking mode utilises the G-Sensor inside the unit and when an impact is detected on the left/right or forward/backwards axis it will turn on and record for 2 minutes drawing power from its internal battery (which is 30 minutes when new) This will then give you 15 bumps which is ample.
In order to utilise paring mode the unit needs to be connected to an ignition live fuse (one that turn on and off as you start/stop your car).
If connected to a permanently live fuse the camera will never switch off, it will continue to record all of the time.

So this appears that the GW models don't need a live fuse, they just go into standby when the ignition is turned off (if wired to an ignition only fuse, like the DUO) and wake up if the sensor detects an impact.

This one is from the 28th October, it refers to the 412GW rather than the 512GW but from the above quote the parking mode on both seem to be similar in hardwiring:

Welcome @russo109

You can use either, if you choose a permanently live fuse the unit will switch off when no movement is detected. If you have it on ignition live the unit will switch off when your ignition turns off.

It will use its internal battery for parking mode if you chose an ignition live fuse.

Please don't think I'm trying to split hairs or have a go at anyone, just trying to clarify information about the 512GW.

I have found Tiffanys posts on this forum extremely helpful but want to make sure I have my facts right to make the best use of the dashcam.

What I got from the above is:

1: The 512GW can be hardwired into either the live or ignition only fuse. If wired to the ignition only fuse the camera will turn off immediately when the car ignition is turned off, if wired into the live fuse, it will continue to record permanently unless parking mode is selected.

2: If wired to ignition only, if parking mode is turned on before the ignition (and therefore the unit) is turned off, it will remain in standby and record up to 15 two minute clips (if the battery is new and fully charged) if an impact is detected until the internal battery runs out of power.
If wired to a live fuse with parking mode turned on the unit will go to sleep if no movement is detected, if there is an impact the unit will wake up, record two minutes, turn off if no further movement is detected and repeat with every new impact until the voltage of the car battery drops too low.

Hopefully the two above points are correct but if I am wrong please correct me.

Can I also check, if wired into the upcoming rear camera, will both front and rear cameras start recording on impact (I understand that if connected to the ignition only fuse it may reduce the amount of recording that can be taken from the 512GW internal battery due to the additional data from the rear camera).

Last edited:
Hello @Andy Amos and welcome,

Yes you’re right on both points. I’m sorry if there’s been any confusion!

The 512G doesn’t have parking mode (its motion detection using an optical sensor rather than the newer g-sensor). So that has to be permanently live.

With our newer models 412GW, 512GW, 612GW, Mirror and DUO HD they have the intelligent parking mode which is where your two points come in above. Either type fuse can be used.

For the rear cam option yes both the 512GW and the rear cam will record simultaneously whether that is during normal driving or during parking mode impacts.

Hello @Andy Amos and welcome,

Yes you’re right on both points. I’m sorry if there’s been any confusion!

The 512G doesn’t have parking mode (its motion detection using an optical sensor rather than the newer g-sensor). So that has to be permanently live.

With our newer models 412GW, 512GW, 612GW, Mirror and DUO HD they have the intelligent parking mode which is where your two points come in above. Either type fuse can be used.

For the rear cam option yes both the 512GW and the rear cam will record simultaneously whether that is during normal driving or during parking mode impacts.

Thank you Tiffany.

That information about the optical vs G-sensor was the final piece of the puzzle.

I’m glad about that as I intended to use the ignition on fuse on whatever dashcam I was going to buy (which is now definitely going to be the 512GW and it’s rear camera).

And thank you for corfirming parking mode info about the rear camera, I look forward to it’s release.

Andy just so you know.

The parking mode on the 512GW is rubbish. I will be returning mine tomorrow. If you have it on live feed fuse, it doesn't recognise when the car has moved. I thought I had a faulty one but it turns out that the replacement does the same.

Next base support are useless and have no idea on how their own cameras work. I'm gonna still with my mio mivue. Some advisors say you have to turn it on and off manually and others say it works automatically in my case doesn't work after it parked unless I give it a tap.

Also the folders are poorly laid out. Other dashcams have three folders Normal Recording, Photo and Emergency. Not to mention the most useless feature of having wifi on a dashcam. This is probably the worse dashcam out there in my opinion and would save you the hassle of returning it.

I wouldn't recommend it but that's just my 2 pence

Regards

Andy just so you know.

The parking mode on the 512GW is rubbish. I will be returning mine tomorrow. If you have it on live feed fuse, it doesn't recognise when the car has moved. I thought I had a faulty one but it turns out that the replacement does the same.

Next base support are useless and have no idea on how their own cameras work. I'm gonna still with my mio mivue. Some advisors say you have to turn it on and off manually and others say it works automatically in my case doesn't work after it parked unless I give it a tap.

Also the folders are poorly laid out. Other dashcams have three folders Normal Recording, Photo and Emergency. Not to mention the most useless feature of having wifi on a dashcam. This is probably the worse dashcam out there in my opinion and would save you the hassle of returning it.

I wouldn't recommend it but that's just my 2 pence

Regards

Thanks for the heads up @Minesh236

I'm going to wait until the rear camera is out for the 512GW before I buy both so I'll keep an eye on things and see if any firmware updates become available that sort out these problems.

Have Nextbase advised that any software fixes were in the pipe for your issues?

No they have been absolutely useless. They have suggested that i have bought a counterfeit 128gb sandisk card from Currys for £89.99?? Talk about blaming the card for their poor quality product!

They keep suggesting i go and get the unit replaced from Currys. I've been once already and to be honest with you i feel ashamed to keep going back in with a brand new 'faulty' dashcam.

Keep in mind the parking mode on this camera is purely a g sensor. It doesnt catch any vandals. Its very annoying it goes on every time the door is shut.

For £150 there are much better cams out there. I went for this thinking the 1440p video would be better than my 1080p mio. Its ok but doesnt keep up when doing 70mph on motorway speeds.

I dont want any other member to learn the hard way hence why i am giving you my input. I've wasted a week on this already. Its going back tomorrow

Buy the camera purely for the 1440p video or 1080p on motorway speeds but not for the so called 'intelligent parking mode' which is thick as s**t and dont waste time hardwiring it.

Regards

Welcome @Minesh236 what you’re describing certainly isn’t right.

Can you message me your email/details so I can look into what has been discussed and with who?

In relation to the naming of folders: that is how they are laid out? The initial screen is DCIM and a link to our website, then inside DCIM there is photo, protected and video. Can you let me know what you were experiencing?

Yes the 512GW if parking mode is used will switch off if no movement, if you want 24/7 vandal protection you can turn parking mode off and leave it on a permanently live fuse - then the unit will never switch off.

Hello readers
Be aware that the parking mode incorporates two features into one setting.
Firstly: when the ignition is off. If the unit detects any jolt to the car (eg bump from other car or break-in), the unit will start recording.
Secondly: In normal driving mode, if there is no movement for 5 mins, the unit stops recording.

This second feature is for users that have the permanent livefuse as discussed above.

My point is, these features should be individually configurable.

In my case, the unit goes off with my ignition. I want the unit to continue recording when I stuck in traffic jams.

Why have these two settings been combined into one.

Keep in mind the parking mode on this camera is purely a g sensor. It doesnt catch any vandals. Its very annoying it goes on every time the door is shut.
If it starts recording when the door is shut, it certainly will detect vandals and other bumps to your car as well. You seem to be arguing against yourself.

You also said previously in parking mode it can't detect when the car is moving. Yeah right!!

It doesn't work at 70mph+ - what ???

I have found the support staff very helpful.

You don't like the folders.

Fair enough if you don't like the thing, just return it; most retailers are agreeable these days. However, it's silly getting angry, swearing and making up stories.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi @45RPM

To alleviate the frustrations with turning parking mode on/off repeatedly as you entered/exited the car to ensure parking mode didn't interfere with normal recording the intelligent parking mode was introduced.

This uses the internal G-Sensor and shuts down the camera f absolutely no movement is detected for 5 minutes (could be longer depending on your files size).

We can't separate the two setting unfortunately as they could interfere with someone who has/chooses a permanently live supply. This does mean that on occasions if in traffic for an extended period the camera may go into standby mode until you begin to move once again.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.jpeg
Hi @45RPM

To alleviate the frustrations with turning parking mode on/off repeatedly as you entered/exited the car to ensure parking mode didn't interfere with normal recording the intelligent parking mode was introduced.

This uses the internal G-Sensor and shuts down the camera f absolutely no movement is detected for 5 minutes (could be longer depending on your files size).

We can't separate the two setting unfortunately as they could interfere with someone who has/chooses a permanently live supply. This does mean that on occasions if in traffic for an extended period the camera may go into standby mode until you begin to move once again.
Just wondering if this dash cam would be suitable and I'm getting conflicting reports both on here and via e-mail to next base sales team,in fact conflicting reports in different e-mails.Basically all I want is a dashcam that can be wired with a permanent live,go into standbye and start recording when a bump is detected when parked, don't want to continuously record to save the car battery but want to use the car battery in standbye in case the internal battery flattens,then when movement detected via the GPS go back to continuous recording.

Hello and welcome @Minkie

You're absolutely correct - the intelligent parking mode feature will turn the camera off and go into stand by mode when no movement is detected. Then when an impact is detected it will turn on start recording for a 2 minute protected file (along with another file depending on the file length chosen) and go back into standby mode unless movement continues.

Intelligent parking mode suits what you need, this feature is only available in the 412GW and up.

I can see where the confusion in the responses has come from, I am so sorry about that.

I can see you're emailing our sales team, if you or any customers have any technical enquiries I recommend contacting our technical support centre by emailing support@nextbase.co.uk or calling 02920 866 429.

Hello and welcome @Minkie

You're absolutely correct - the intelligent parking mode feature will turn the camera off and go into stand by mode when no movement is detected. Then when an impact is detected it will turn on start recording for a 2 minute protected file (along with another file depending on the file length chosen) and go back into standby mode unless movement continues.

Intelligent parking mode suits what you need, this feature is only available in the 412GW and up.

I can see where the confusion in the responses has come from, I am so sorry about that.

I can see you're emailing our sales team, if you or any customers have any technical enquiries I recommend contacting our technical support centre by emailing support@nextbase.co.uk or calling 02920 866 429.
I appreciate that Tiffany but will it then go back to normal recording once the car starts moving or have you got to switch off intelligent parking mode or loose the permanent feed.

Minkie.

Hi,

I've just got a 512GW, hardwired with parking mode turning on. I also set the G sensor so max sensitivity, because i had a lightbar stolen off the roof a while ago, so id like it to pick up someone standing on the side steps. The problem with this is every time i get in the truck and shut the door, it saves a protected file. Surely this means after a few weeks its going to have filled the card with files of me slamming the door?

Thanks
Rich

Yep, my 412 was doing that on the medium setting.

That’s right @Rich. there isnt away of telling the G-Sensor to ignore some impacts as this could naturally cause the important ones to be missed.

What size card do you have?

Hi @45RPM

Hello Tiffany

Thank you for your reply.

I can't understand your explanation. There are two separate facilities that have been combined into one setting (see my earlier post Nov 26, 2017). Even if a user has a permanent live supply, they could easily set the both features independently to the optimum. Sure, it's two settings instead of one - but what's the problem.

In any event, what about your customers that don't have the unit hardwired (I guess the majority). By your admission are being penalised.

It is a case of bad programming. I think you should accept my constructive feedback.

Thanks

If it starts recording when the door is shut, it certainly will detect vandals and other bumps to your car as well. You seem to be arguing against yourself.

You also said previously in parking mode it can't detect when the car is moving. Yeah right!!

It doesn't work at 70mph+ - what ???

I have found the support staff very helpful.

You don't like the folders.

Fair enough if you don't like the thing, just return it; most retailers are agreeable these days. However, it's silly getting angry, swearing and making up stories.

Regards

@45RPM

How does that detect vandals (opening and shutting a car door) In your head Nextbase is the only brand of dashcams. There are other dashcams which do motion recording whilst parked.

I said parking mode doesn't disengage when the car has moved. Ie: you pull over for more than 5 mins with the engine running and then drive off it wont start normal recording mode unless you tap it twice.

What do you mean 70MPH??

You find the support staff useful?

Have a look at the previous thread with a simple request from the end user wanting to know what has changed in the latest R15.8 firmware update. All other manufacturers would provide a change log so user can see if its worth upgrading or not.
The nextbase HI and LO resolution has been a cause for concern for many users and guess what nothings changed in R15.8
Nextbase logo on video, still the same

Thanks but no thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
@45RPM

How does that detect vandals (opening and shutting a car door) In your head Nextbase is the only brand of dashcams. There are other dashcams which do motion recording whilst parked.

I said parking mode doesn't disengage when the car has moved. Ie: you pull over for more than 5 mins with the engine running and then drive off it wont start normal recording mode unless you tap it twice.

What do you mean 70MPH??

You find the support staff useful?

Have a look at the previous thread with a simple request from the end user wanting to know what has changed in the latest R15.8 firmware update. All other manufacturers would provide a change log so user can see if its worth upgrading or not.
The nextbase HI and LO resolution has been a cause for concern for many users and guess what nothings changed in R15.8
Nextbase logo on video, still the same

Thanks but no thanks

You think Nextbase is bad.....

Try Parrot who do the hand's free devices for cars - I have their MKi9200 model in my car, and we have been waiting 6 YEARS for them to update the software for it as it skips tracks on there...

See the link ----> HERE

sorry for the bump - but looking at getting a couple of dashcams for mine and my wife's car. I don't want to hardwire just yet - especially on my BMW with the damn battery in the boot.

Does this intelligent parking mode work when plugged in via a cigarette lighter? I have one under the glove box which turns off after 10 minutes when the ignition is turned off which would be ideal for powering and relatively easy install.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T 512GW 0
S 512GW 7
Drew1951 512GW 7
C 512GW 5
A 512GW 1
Back