Question about SG9665gc V3

Captain

Reaction score
Country
United States
It keeps coming up "format card" , then "all data will be deleted" and two choices, cancel and ok. I select cancel and it comes back to that then the screen goes blank. What should I do? Is it recording?

Press OK and format the card. Save any files you want first. Sounds like it won't record until you format.

I think i mentioned that somewhere, but yes on first use the camera might ask to format the memory card, it should not do that again down the line unless there is a problem.
Once you have said yes to formatting the memory card, then as i recall the camera go strait to normal and start to record on its own. ( recording verifiable by red dot on LCD screen and red LED flashing )

But it is still a good thing to do a in camera format once in a while, every couple of months or so. off course if you drive 8 - 10 hours every day ( a lot to me ) then you might do it more often.
What the format do is restore / set the FAT ( File Allocation Table ) on the memory card, so its known to the camera what are available and where on the memory card, over long time use things can get a bit fragmented by all this writing and deleting on the memory card.
This are the same for thumb drives or hard driver, they all have some form of FAT, those can be called FAT - FAT32 - NTFC and other i am sure, but the ones i mention here are the most normal ones for computer ( PC ) use.
Not something to worry about, its just things that's there to make them work with other things like a computer or a camera and so on.

Off course if you have been driving for some months with the "full" memory card you might want to save some incidents first by copying those to the computer ( use copy and not move to computer )
But personally i get things i want to save off the memory card as soon as possible.

I said "full" cuz the memory card dont really get full, when it get to there the camera will start to delete the oldest recordings on the memory card to make room for your new recordings.
This is what we call loop recording, continuously looping the storage on the memory card, by deleting the oldest stuff to make room for new stuff.
Only things in the RO named folder on the memory card are safe from this routine of loop recording, in the RO folder go events, either manual made by you pressing the round button on the camera, or if you have G sensor turned on, or use motion detect.

G sensor trigger on bumps, that that's all bumps or sudden brake or acceleration, so it is close to impossible to filter out things you dont want, and if you dont filter it good the RO folder on the memory card will just grow to where you might not have room for anything on the memory card.
Besides the camera are recording all the time, and i am sure you will feel if you get bumped by another car, and if you use a larger sized memory card it will still be several hours of recording before the recording with the bump will be deleted if it is not in the RO folder on the memory card.

Motion detect used when parking are also nasty, every movement in the fame of the camera will trigger a recording, and its also events and so Read Only ( RO ) so they too can fill up memory card leaving no room for regular recording.
When i get around to use parking guard one day i will only use G sensor, that way a semi or a bus or some one hitting my car will be all triggering a event while i am parked.

I think the rule of thumb are, that on a 32 Gb memory card you can have 4 hours of recording - 64 Gb 8 hours and 128 Gb 16 hours of video ( rough numbers )

So if you have a 32 Gb memory card in your GC, then you can drive 4 hours before the first 3 minute file of you setting off from home will be deleted to make room for your current driving.
But if you dident have a accident or anything happen on your drive up until now then all that footage from the previous 4 hours of driving are just garbage.
You only want to save major things like a accident or something else you might want to share or save.
All the other footage of you just going uneventful from A to B, that's just garbage so to say.

Once you get going, then some day down the line when you look at your memory card you will form a standard for how many days of driving you will have on your memory card based on your patterns of driving.
If you are anything like me you will soon see that it are often the the same drives you make.
Me i drive to visit my friend ( 40 minutes each way ) or go to visit my old mother that's a 30 minutes drive each way, and then i drive to the store to shop, and i once in a while drive to the burger joint or pizza joint yo get some food.

Last edited:
I was afraid if I hit cancel, all data will deleted, it would not record. But I should have hit ok. How do I save files? So all that done, I just drive and the rest is automatic unless I want to stop recording, then hit the power button? What about the "event" feature? If I want to save something, say I I'm in a wreck, God forbid, do I have to hit the middle round button??

it save files automatic, they are named on the memory card according to time and date they are created.

If you want to stop recording while the car are running just hit the rec button and the red LED on the left side will stop flashing indicating it is not recording.
but you should never stop recording, the memory card can not fill up, when it get to that the camera just delete the oldest files on the memory card to make room for new ones.

If you have something small like something cool you want to save there are 2 ways to do it, you can push the round button and that will save the recording in the RO folder on the memory card ( Read Only )
When the camera are recording a event file there will be a little yellow triangle on top of the LCD screen, it stop that automatic and go on to regular recording after that, you will not loose a millisecond of action.
Generally a dashcam will allays want to record if it have power, and that's a good thing people should not have to start the camera it should be automatic and allays happen when you turn on the car.
So it should always record unless the car are off or you have pressed the rec button to stop it manually.

Second are like i do personally i dont yet use the event button, so i just make a mental note to myself that so and so place on my route is something i want to save / share when i get home.

This is not a good way of doing things if you are on a longer drive on a route you dont drive often, but i often drive the same route so i just remember that a mile or so before that little town i pass thru there was something interesting to save or put on youtube to share with the world.
If you get into a crash and might be hurt you can not hit the button off course, but unless your camera keep recording for hours on end after that and then delete the file to make room for new recordings, then all you have to do in a crash is stop the car and so also the camera, and i think most people or emergency responders will do that if you cant as a powered car are after all a fire hazard if it have been in a crash.

Using the round event button are far the smartest way to "remember" events on a drive, its just in my car i have the camera so well hidden behind the mirror that the button are hard to get at.
Using that button the file end in the RO folder, and if it is something that take a while longer than a event recording are, then you can see on the file name when its recorded and then just follow the other files you would like to save.

i have a file here off my GC camera and it is named 2017_1123_153441_395, this mean its recorded in 2017 at the time of 15:34:41 And it is file number 395 of all the files on the memory card.
So say that file was a event file but it stop before i like to, well then i just go to the memory card outside the RO folder and look for files created after that, so that might be a file named 2017_153741_396 so thats the file after as it start 3 minutes later according to the file name, and also the number are 396 indicating its the file recorded after the one numbered 395.

So to find files belonging in a order you just have to look at the last number in its name and that's the number in the order recorded by the camera.

Do remember if nothing happen when you drive, then what you have recorded are not worth saving and as such are just garbage the camera can delete on its own if the memory card get full.
it is only the rare moments where you have a crash or something interesting happen you would want to save, if you was to save all your driving then you will need a lot of hard drive space on the computer soon.
But why save a drive where nothing happen.

I finally powered it up. The screen comes on temporarily and the red light blinks. Then the screen goes blank and the light too. Is is still recording?

I finally powered it up. The screen comes on temporarily and the red light blinks. Then the screen goes blank and the light too. Is is still recording?

That means you've plugged the GPS into the A/V out port by mistake. (it thinks you have an external monitor hooked up)
Move the GPS plug over 1.

I just checked. The GPS is in the correct plug. The middle one. I set the screen to go off in 1 min. Does the blinking light go off too, and it's still recording?

I just checked. The GPS is in the correct plug. The middle one. I set the screen to go off in 1 min. Does the blinking light go off too, and it's still recording?

the screen goes off after one minute, the camera continues recording, the REC light will continue to blink

So the blinking red light goes out too? As it continues to record??

It's blinking now. I think it is so tiny I just didn't see it.(y)

Yes the LED are also weak as not to be a nuisance during night time driving, some cameras have god awful bright LED's

You can also see a red dot in the LCD screen when its on, and you can short press any of the 4 buttons to wake up the screen at any time to see, in daytime the LED are hard to see.
But you have the right camera i cant even remember anyone saying his failed to record, and if it do than its most likely the memory card that's at fault ( memory card always weakest link with high end cameras )

Merry Christmas kamkar. I never heard of your cartoon dog. What happened to his face?

Its called Family guy, and its not for kids for sure.
I think this is the episode where Brian and baby Stewie murder santa or some poor innocent fellow.

An episode where my face get broken.

Actually thinking about it, i seem to often be the victim, though all the people in the family get it at a regular basis.

Last edited:
Adult cartoons. Never heard of it. Don't like the profanity. Denmark must be hard up for entertainment.

O yes here you can say just about anything on TV you want no beep sounds here, if you pass by a kindergarten in the season where the kids are outside playing you will quickly learn that the F word are one of the first english words kids pick up on.
We are also a nation where a mother with her child in a stroller can park it outside a cafe or shop and then leave it for some shopping, a thing i am told a Danish woman in NYC was arrested for, but here its the norm we dont have kidnappers at least i cant even recall such a incident.
Actually if a kid in a stroller was crying and the mother was not around, i think many Danes might go and comfort the child, we are pretty far from our bloodthirsty viking heritage by now.
Denmark also always rank in the top of surveys about trust in countries, http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asse...nomics/how-s-life-2015_how_life-2015-en#page4

As the muhammad drawings crisis also depicted, anything are up for grams here when it come to get a laugh, the royal family often get the full treatment and they sit in the audience and laugh their head off.

I think most of those cartoons come from FOX network, but i am not sure.

Back