Cansonic UltraDuo Z2 - Why's No-one Talking About It?

Jaydash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title really. I just came across this dual dashcam which seems to have-been the subject of some kind-of kickstarter project in 2017, but one that was done by an already-established company by the looks of things.

The quality looks really good in vids, and not just in the manufacturer's ones as there a couple by reviewers vids on YouTube I think. Also, I like the idea of it having a (zoomed) rear-facing camera built-in, which although it might be a bit of a compromise and may also make positioning on the windscreen slightly more fiddly, but it negates the need to install a camera on the back window.

What's not to like? At $300 or whatever I honestly think I would prefer this one over the existing top-end two-channel options, mainly for convenience if the quality is similar. I even like the idea that the two lenses can be rotated quite far, so if you bought the Commercial version (which has two 'non-zoomed' wide-angle lenses) you could presumably use just one cam to gain side views if you have other cams for front and back view?

I'm not 100% sure that it's actually available to buy at this time, but am I missing something here? BTW, I'm not talking about the older UltraDuo Z1, but again there doesn't seem to be much talk of that one online either.

Last edited:
The footage dont look that good to me, and the camera itself are to a large degree a copy of products that have been on the market for years, only new addition seem to be one of the lenses are a "ZOOM" one and that are nice to have but the zoom of it also mean it is less practical for filming the inside of the car.
And as you say if you want to use one of the lenses pointing back then placement on the windscreen have to be out of the ideal place in front of the mirror.

I think trancend drivepro 520 or vantrue N2 are better options with the same functions aside for the zoomed lens, but they instead have IR light support if you want to film occupants of car at night.

Well, we'd need to see more reviews to guage the quality properly, but it's the 'zoom' rear cam that I'm most attracted-to, especially if buying for someone who's not inclined to want to take their car apart to run a rear camera i.e. they can still benefit from a reasonable rear view, whereas on something like the Vantrue with two wide-view cams the view to the rear would mainly be of the rear seats, with only a tiny bit focussing on the window and not so much looking *out* of it. If those vids are to be believed the zoom works well on the Z2 Standard edition.

Will be no problem for sure if users like me rarely have anybody else but the driver in the car, if you have 3 adult people on the back seat or maybe just headrests back there they will be blocking a lot of the rear window.

I am running a zoom front camera myself ( 12 mm ) and i wouldn't be without it.

Dont have a camera in the back at the moment, awaiting new stuff to arrive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ddtstartrex Dash Cam Discussion 34
J Dash Cam Discussion 4
Back