HDR will be added on A119

yes, there is more life in video with HDR On, and not only after the sunset. :)

I agree that the image has more "life" with the HDR setting but what we are seeing actually is more dynamic range, which, of course, is what "High Dynamic Range" (HDR) is supposed to do. Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) tends to open up the shadow details while sort of ignoring the rest of the tonal range in dash cam images. Unfortunately, so far, HDR when used in dash cams tends to destroy fine details.

Now the car on the left is still, but the tree on the right is moving!

yes, it does seem to soften all the fine details in HDR, which is bad. the apartment block on the left and all the trees look better (to me) in WDR, as does the numberplate and speed markings on the van.

have to wonder if there can be a way to auto-switch to WDR when there's lots of light, and HDR when there's less light.

To me it looks like the WDR image has way too much unsharp mask done to it.

Just want to tell the truth, I just got informed, the chipset can only handle the HDR in 1080P resolution, the HDR 1440p resolution is interpolated.
So it is not so clearly compared no HDR in 1440P mode.
For HDR, I thought the advantage is better reading car license number at night.

Just want to tell the truth, I just got informed, the chipset can only handle the HDR in 1080P resolution, the HDR 1440p resolution is interpolated.
If the chip can't handle HDR in 1440p, please remove the option for HDR in 1440p.
There are far too many devices that claim higher resolutions then their sensors, and achieve it through interpolation. In my view this is false advertising.
Upscaling should never be implemented in a camera, it is a waste of memory. The only time upscaling makes sense is when you are displaying the picture on a display that has higher resolution than the image to get the image to fill the whole display.

I have a trail camera that claims 10 MP, but as far as I can tell from the image quality and the artifacts only has a 640x480 sensor. I will never buy another stealth brand camera because of this.

Last October in this thread I speculated that HDR would only work in 1080P because it would likely require 60fps to function. Since the chipset can not provide 60fps @1440P it sounds as if that speculation may have been correct assuming that HDR on the A119 requires 60fps split into two simultaneous 30fps image captures at different exposures combined. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update and being honest about the camera's capability.
It will be interesting to see similar HDR/WDR side-by-side at 1080p.

Would be nice to see a night time one with headlights also at 1080...
Not sure we are seeing the HDR work in that one, it just looks like a darker exposure.

Strange that there is still a small change in field of view, but it doesn't matter at 1080 since it is not at sensor resolution anyway.

Strange that there is still a small change in field of view, but it doesn't matter at 1080 since it is not at sensor resolution anyway.
Changing the FW requires removing the microSD card and inserting another with the FW loaded on it. It's possible that removing and inserting a card has shifted the angle of view slightly.

@viofo - Can we expect a stable version firmware with HDR and no problems with settings saving?
WDR at day and HDR at night, automatically changes - is it possible ?

If HDR is useful only in Full HD mode then the camera should automatically record in Full HD when HDR is enabled from menu.
Recording at interpolated 2K is just wasting space card, so it is better to use it for more and better recordings.

enjoy,
Mtz

HDR doesnt work that well at night in 1080/30 and 1080/60 resolution. i can easily capture plates but only in 2k mode. and thatz the FACT. i tested it a couple of millions time. if yall wanna use the 1080 resolution with hdr - aiight, thatz your choice. but i wanna have a choice too..

HDR doesnt work that well at night in 1080/30 and 1080/60 resolution. i can easily capture plates but only in 2k mode. and thatz the FACT. i tested it a couple of millions time. if yall wanna use the 1080 resolution with hdr - aiight, thatz your choice. but i wanna have a choice too..

yeah i read before that it is not possible to use 1080p and hdr, someone had a bad experience with it, maybe that was you too.

im just rolling with 2k even tho it s not full 2k when hdr is on, something like that... hopefully there is some mode to change between wdr and hdr automatically according to light, its maybe too much to dream xD

For that you need to find a 2K 60fps camera with HDR.

but i have found it - A119 ;D i dont care what other people say about HDR not handling 2k in this unit. i CANNOT GET at 1080p/30/60fps as clear plates at night as i can get with 2k. and with 60 fps its even worse! im using 3.4beta firmware rite now, and damm.. its so good 2 have it :D

yeah i read before that it is not possible to use 1080p and hdr, someone had a bad experience with it, maybe that was you too.

im just rolling with 2k even tho it s not full 2k when hdr is on, something like that... hopefully there is some mode to change between wdr and hdr automatically according to light, its maybe too much to dream xD

yeah datz the best possible option! ^^ 2k HDR on, bring it on! :D

@viofo

Are we still on schedule with HDR enable firmware?

HDR have some max parameters to be set by firmware to offer an HDR image. More than some values for that parameters are not possible, so your expectations can be too high for what is possible now with actual chipset+CMOS+firmware.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back