"Real World" Questions on the DC

I had my heart laying on the floor of my car for about 30 minutes today trying to find the SD card. I have problems pushing the SD card in to get it to release. My old fingers and dealing with carpal tunnel is not a great combination for these tiny cards.
Has anyone used any extender for their card?
Example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CY-...ter-Extender-Test-Tools-PCBA/32809011674.html
Or is this just not a good idea. It seems there is no locking on this one. Or is there something better and I'm not searching the right wording? Maybe this will work if I secure the card in the extender.

I wouldn't use an extender like that if want reliability of recordings. Maybe try using the corner of a credit card and go very slow when you press in and release after you hear/feel the click. I'm not aware of specialized insertion/ejection tools.

Tweezers?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Does anyone suffer from small white pixels that only appear during night footage? I have about 5-6 that are constantly there when driving at night. I thought it was stars in the sky at first but sadly it’s not. Anyone know what it is?

Are they constant? If not, it could be light reflecting off rock chips in the glass. I have 1 where I see it in the video when light hits it right, which is often.

Are they constant? If not, it could be light reflecting off rock chips in the glass. I have 1 where I see it in the video when light hits it right, which is often.

Yes they are constant and they don’t move. Almost like dead pixels but white. It’s definitely not chips in the glass, the car is only 2 months old and covered less than 700 miles

Yes they are constant and they don’t move. Almost like dead pixels but white. It’s definitely not chips in the glass, the car is only 2 months old and covered less than 700 miles

Those are called "hot pixels" and it has been a much reported issue here on DCT, especially with the SG9665GC and other similar cams that use the Sony Exmor sensor. On the GC, there is a technique for calibrating the sensor to eliminate the problem (at least temporarily) and I understand it has been further addressed in the most recent beta firmware. I'm not familiar enough with the SG9663DC to comment on the issue but it is the same thing. I'm sure @jokiin and @Street Guardian USA can offer some feedback and advice.

There's an auto calibration process that dynamically adjusts this, depends how much light there is as to how much it is adjusted, we are still fine tuning this setting though

So are you saying this is acceptable?

So are you saying this is acceptable?

not saying it's acceptable but right now in some lighting situations it's expected, if the image is completely dark most often you won't see this happen, we are still fine tuning this process

the auto calibration that is currently in the SDK has been improved but still needs further work, when it was first made available it wasn't usable at all and we had to reply on manual calibration, if we turn the auto calibration on completely it's possible to mask all the pixels but it has a negative impact on the daytime picture results, that currently has a much bigger negative impact on image quality than the bright pixels in low light so at the moment we are just making partial use of this process so as not to impact things too much, the current settings vary in effectiveness depending on how much light is available, the darker the scene the stronger the effect, as the scene lightens up the effect is reduced

Though the coding and menu would be more complex, perhaps a user-selectable level of correction would work. Best if it was one setting and automatic but sometimes one 'best for everyone' isn't the best practical solution ;)

Phil

not saying it's acceptable but right now in some lighting situations it's expected, if the image is completely dark most often you won't see this happen, we are still fine tuning this process

the auto calibration that is currently in the SDK has been improved but still needs further work, when it was first made available it wasn't usable at all and we had to reply on manual calibration, if we turn the auto calibration on completely it's possible to mask all the pixels but it has a negative impact on the daytime picture results, that currently has a much bigger negative impact on image quality than the bright pixels in low light so at the moment we are just making partial use of this process so as not to impact things too much, the current settings vary in effectiveness depending on how much light is available, the darker the scene the stronger the effect, as the scene lightens up the effect is reduced

So in layman’s terms, there’s going to be a fix?

So in layman’s terms, there’s going to be a fix?

I'm sure we'll be able to improve it further, I can't give an estimate of when that will be as we do rely on Novatek for some SDK changes, firmware improvements are always ongoing though, there's no time limit from our side on fixes or improvements happening

I'm sure we'll be able to improve it further, I can't give an estimate of when that will be as we do rely on Novatek for some SDK changes, firmware improvements are always ongoing though, there's no time limit from our side on fixes or improvements happening

Ok thanks. So am I right I’m thinking this can happen to any cam fitted with a Sony sensor or a Novatek processor? Only asking as I’ve never experienced it before

It's more apparent in Sony/Novatek as they haven't got the auto calibration process sorted correctly as yet, all CMOS sensors have this same issue but the calibration process works better with other combinations right now so you won't see it

I love this edge of technology stuff thanks joker

Could I assume this principle applies to the A119S and others ?

Could I assume this principle applies to the A119S and others ?

It does. I have a few really tiny ones with the A119, and that's a 4MP Sensor not made by Sony.

Back