Looking for a cheapish dash cam with real motion sensing, not vibration/G force sensing

Sam_M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

can you give me some recommendations on cheap->middling dash cams with genuine motion detection?

Not interested in those that say they have "motion sensing" which turns out to be vibration/g sensing, I want one which detects motion with the camera.

Thanks!

Sam

Dont they all have both ?

As to visual motion detect i haven't heard of any one that dont work, the problem more often seem to be it work too good so you get a lot of events created by every little movement in front of your car.
The problem seem to be you cant set sensitivity to just react to something the size of a human or a car, and depending on how and where you park you will still see a lot of big things pass by and create a recording, and if too sensitive then you also get birds passing by - cats or leaves - branches or some one walking by on the other side of the large parkinglot and then you might as wall record all the time in some cases.

The G-sensor are what i would rely on for parking guard, but this i have not experimented on myself to actually see how much or little it would take to set it off.
Ideally you would want it sensitive enough that it get triggered if the car beside you slam his door into the side of your car, but at that setting i assume a passing bus or large truck might also set off a event.
But that still happen a less often than something moving in front of your car in a parking situation.

I did experiment with visual parking guard and low light with my lukas back in the day and it actually worked better than i expected, but i never got around to do the same with the G sensor, but using that for a short time while driving i did find that it was hard to set up and not having it create a event every time i brake or run over a tiny bump.
But i should have tried to see how little a push or kick of the tire would set off G sensor while in parking mode.

So my ideal parking setup would use G sensor, and maybe in the future a audio sensor ( glass break sensor )

Just try and see if you can see what set off this motion parking event.

Last edited:
As to visual motion detect i haven't heard of any one that dont work, the problem more often seem to be it work too good so you get a lot of events created by every little movement in front of your car.

that's the challenge, they either work too well, or not well enough, trying to find the middle ground is pretty much impossible to get right to handle every scenario

The only cam that had motion sensing that seemed to work in my situation was the Papago GS110.
(Discontinued, but I saw them on a flash sale at a large chinese online retailer recently for around $25)

It would record pedestrians moving around my parked truck. it's the only one out of a dozen or so I tried that worked this well, reliably.
No telling if it's fluke..or....??

I have only tested motion detect with my old Lukas LK7500, i just assumed other cameras would be able to do the same as i cant say that's it is a special high end feature.

Back