Heat resistant, no frills, and good resolution?

Do most people leave dash cams in place when not driving or do they remove the dash cam?

people generally leave them in place, as long as they're discreet and not something that looks like a GoPro or a point and shoot camera

Last edited:
@SawMaster re the B1W

Is it easy to remove from the mounting bracket in order to deter vandalism? or does the bracket mechanism seem like it wont hold up to removing and reinstalling the unit over the long run?

Do most people leave dash cams in place when not driving or do they remove the dash cam?
The B1W is the easiest dashcam I have to remove, it has a very simple bracket which clips nicely into place.
It is also the least visible I have when viewed from outside, and doesn't look particularly tempting to steal.
If I want to take the memory card into the house I generally take the whole camera since it is easier.
You do need to unplug the cable unlike some since the cable goes to the camera not the mount.
The bracket seems good, although I don't know how well it will handle very high summer temperatures in a parked car, since it is a cheap camera it may not have the most heat resistant plastic, we have yet to test it over a summer. In use the camera stays quite cool so no worries there.

Yes the cam slips off the bracket easily- an even better bracket is in future plans :) No dashcam is really intended to be removed frequently but if done with care most of them tolerate that pretty well. The "T" mount on the B1W can be easily shimmed with plastic or cardboard if excessive wear develops whereas some cams have no easy cure for mount wear.

One of the main attractions of cams with a discreet profile is that they are much less likely to be seen from the outside, so it's safer when they are left in place while parked. It seems most people leave their cams in place, removing them only for maintenance or when parked in a bad situation. It's pretty chill where I live and only in the very worst neighborhoods do I worry much about my vehicle's safety when parked :cool: The BiW is about the size of 1 1/2 tubes of lipstick end-to-end so it can be easily mounted almost unnoticeably. Two things when mounting any cam: they're best kept out of direct sunlight, and you want it where the wipers will give it a clear view in the rain.

Though you didn't address it to me, I'd like to comment on the A119 vs B1W. These are very different cams with very different design goals. The A119 and A119S are more sophisticated with better vids and more features which is reflected in the higher price. The B1W is a basic cam at a budget price. You don't get what you don't pay for with anything. The A119 series cams are winners in their own right and very good cams. They're a better choice if you want to spend the higher price. I'd be totally happy with an A119S in front and a B1W in back- I feel each is nearly perfect for those respective roles. But if all I had was a B1W in front I wouldn't be concerned- it's enough cam to prove you've done no wrong in your driving and more ;)

Phil

Ok, so I decided to see if there is a clear winner in the operating temperature range.
70 degrees Centigrade for the B1W and 65 degrees for the A119. Not a huge difference in temperature, so maybe not a clear winner.

Based in owner reports, the A119 cams have held up in summer heat quite well overall, but a few owners have had problems which the warranty can resolve. The B1W hasn't got that kind of user-history yet but I think it will be OK. Summer is reaching Australia which is well represented here so it won't be too long before we know for certain ;)

Phil

Another choice might be the B1W. It's a new cam but does need a wifi app to set up as it has no screen.

Phil

I'm finally ready to buy but have a question re the "wifi app" as noted in the quote above. I'm old school and not sure what the wifi app involves. I don't have a smart phone so if that is needed to run the B1M I had better buy the A119.

thanks for any advice

I'm finally ready to buy but have a question re the "wifi app" as noted in the quote above. I'm old school and not sure what the wifi app involves. I don't have a smart phone so if that is needed to run the B1M I had better buy the A119.

thanks for any advice

you need the phone to be able to setup the camera, better off stick to the A119, much easier when the camera has a screen

I bought a cheap Android tablet to work my cameras with. It also serves as mobile internet access if I need it as well as a means of viewing or showing cam files away from home. Fits easily in the glove-box :cool: Cam screens need cam space and I prefer small cams, but screens do make set-up and problem solving easier.

Given the near-ubiquity of smartphones, I doubt that screen-equipped cams will be here much longer. The world is clamoring for WiFi-equipped cams which makes the jump to screen-less cams more logical. Evolution works here too and all we can do is ride along, so we might as well jump on the screen-less wagon now :rolleyes:

Phil

Evolution works here too and all we can do is ride along, so we might as well jump on the screen-less wagon now :rolleyes:

Phil
You can leave me out of that "we". I'd rather have a shi*ty camera or no camera at all than having to buy a dumbphone to operate it. :mad:

I still have my "Dumbphone" and wouldn't trade it for the world, but they day comes when you will have no other choices- just how the world works :rolleyes: That's why I got the tablet instead- I can see the screen without reading glasses and it's not in the way when I don't need it :cool: Us old geezers ain't gonna change till we're forced to :ROFLMAO:

Phil

If you start with an A119 you're steps ahead where the rest of us were.

The B1W shows promise, but it's not quite there, yet.

The A119 cams outclass the B1W in performance and features, but also $$$, so there's no direct comparison possible ;) If the upcoming A119 pro has wifi then that would be a major step forward in mid-priced cams :cool: A;ways seems to be something nicer on the horizon when you need a cam today :rolleyes:

Phil

I still have my "Dumbphone"
I think you got them mixed up: the one that you have IS the smartphone, because it won't make you dumb in the long run.

but the day comes when you will have no other choices
Oh, believe me, I will! There's always another choice.

Us old geezers ain't gonna change till we're forced to :ROFLMAO:
Speak for yourself, I'm not that old. :p

I could give you an example of one of the best brands around that doesn't have a single camera with WiFi but I suspect you'll know who I'm talking about. ;)

Back