dunno dashcam

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Both from estore009:
I have had the G1W Battery cam for a few years with no problems and now bought the G1WC but it can't keep the date even overnight.
At first it would not loop and after some simplistic answers from Vicky at estore009: I had a try with different methods. I had to as the help from estore009: was poor.
I wrote that I had "loop recording" on.
I had the turned the "G-sensor" off.
I had "motion detection" off. and had re-formatted the card estore009 supplied card.
Incredibly I received from estore009.......
.............................................................................................
estore009:

(Quote)...Dear customer,
Thank you for your message.
First,please make sure you turn on "loop recording" function, if the camera will turn off automatically when the card is full, please turn off "G-sensor"and "motion dection"and format the tf card before use.
If it still doesn't work,please tell us the firmware version of your camera,we will send a firmware to you for updating.
After that,if it's still like that,please pay for the postage of both ways and send it back,we will repair it for you.
Best regards!
Vicky (Unquote.)
..............................................................................................
I loved that underlined bit....
So I received back word for word, directions to do what I already had done.......Some help I thought.

Any way I told them peacefully that they were of little help and they sent me the latest firmware in a zip file. I was loath to install it having read of some folks getting a load of misery doing this sort of update. Also I have the 2015 firmware in and could not see the benefit of what should have been fixed in the firmware I already had in the cam.
That's why I joined this very helpful forum. I had nor tried the trick of selecting a different clip length and happily it worked.
The date is not responsive however and I can change it now and it is back to its default by morning. I will use it in the vehicle as it is not hard to find a file that I need and actual incidents are few. But I did save a girl a lot of problems when some one hit her and the cam is beneficial.

Any way we are only talking here and I wont be getting another capacitor cam in a cheap variety again, so a good learning curve.
I do have in my possession now, the very latest firmware for the G1WC. I haven't tried to post it but would it be useful to the members?

I have also adapted the old G1W as a bicycle cam with an auxiliary battery and just testing to see how long it will run on the battery I am using. I will post on that later.

Sounds like a hardware issue, unfortunately these sellers don't leave any profit margin to deal with warranty issues so hitting you up for freight costs is typical, depending on where you are from this can cost as much as the camera

Hi jokiin,
Yep that's how I see it, and maybe a bit of language barrier thrown in. I reckon with the other G1W working and en excellent Mobius still going after 3 years my luck ran out.:)

Always a gamble with buying out of China, if you have no issues then it's a bargain, can't win them all though I guess

Interestingly Estore has stated earlier in this thread,

"Yes,If you bought BLUESKYSEA Logo B40 from us Estore009 Or other stores on Ebay and Amazon,you are feel free to contact us Estore009 for sale-after service,and we offer software for update indeed or warranty also! Regards,Vicky"

Then when you do have a problem you pay for their errors. You freight it up and back not knowing if the send the same rubbish back. Cunning as the proverbial skit house rat, as we used to say.....:)

I do have in my possession now, the very latest firmware for the G1WC. I haven't tried to post it but would it be useful to the members?

If you read my posting starting at #34, I have the very same problem with by "G1W-HC". I put those in quotes because there's something fishy about the build. Anyway, I'm up for trying new firmware. However, @jokiin seems to be correct in that the date/time issue is hardware- and not firmware-related.

Interestingly Estore has stated earlier in this thread,

"Yes,If you bought BLUESKYSEA Logo B40 from us Estore009 Or other stores on Ebay and Amazon,you are feel free to contact us Estore009 for sale-after service,and we offer software for update indeed or warranty also! Regards,Vicky"

Then when you do have a problem you pay for their errors. You freight it up and back not knowing if the send the same rubbish back. Cunning as the proverbial skit house rat, as we used to say.....:)

yeah unfortunately the pre sales and after sales service levels differ enormously, it's a numbers game I guess, plenty of happy buyers out there that are none the wiser as they haven't needed the warranty anyway, that false sense of security leads to their next purchase, inevitably with electronics there will always be some percentage where things can and do go wrong but that's when you find out the difference between a good vendor and a poor vendor

[COLOR=rgb(109, 63, 3)]@jokiin[/COLOR] is absolutely correct, not just seems! The date/time issue is in hardware. I spent a lot of time to find an elegant solution, but I found only 2 working solutions to fix time/date issue:
1. To downgrade G1Wc to G1w : to install a LiPo battery + charger IC like in G1W (I used LTC4054-4.2) instead of diode "patch";
2. To install a coin backup battery for timekeeping.
Unfortunately both require to open the unit and to have some soldering skills.

Thanks EddielL,
I have read the battery back up idea and its not beyond me but I just cant be bothered to tell the truth. I worked it out that it was hardware but I wouldn't even be bothered to send it back. I mean time wise I am too busy to fix it and sending it back for fixing is just ridiculous. Even if they send me another it may be from the same batch and here we go again.
It is to me more interesting than a problem. And it adds to the knowledge and experience pool. But thank you for your input mate, much appreciated by all posters.:)

I will save my pennies and get the good looking SG Later. At least it is in oz and plenty of local knowledge.

Jokiin your remark "You can't win em all I guess" resounds mate. :) I once bought a set of these jewelers glasses from Bangood; couldn't go wrong for $7-00 right? Well you could barley see through one side and with no adjustment they were hopeless.....but for the seven dollars it was worth it to bring them out at friends places and pretend to look at their jewellery...and then let them have a go.....:)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/members/eddiel.19977/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/members/eddiel.19977/

I too have a G1W-CB and it loses the date function too. Once the car power is turned off the only power comes from the capacitor and it can eventually leak all of its charge and leave the time hardware with no power. Since the time circuit is on always on it is only a matter of time.

A correctly functioning G1W series cam with caps should hold date and time for 7-10 days when new and at least ~5 days unless the caps are almost shot or a blockimg diode is leaky. Super-caps do wear through time but very slowly and the cam will likely die first if it uses good quality caps. Which is where problems may come in as most G1W manufacturers have now cut their costs so deeply that they use the cheapest components possible which can sometimes land you with bad caps (or anything else) right out of the box :( My SpyTech G1W-C held the date and time for about 10 days IIRC during the 2 years I used it.

As much as I like this series of cams I'm now of a mind that other choices are now better ones for most people and that those buying a G1W series cam should buy only the exact ones which have been recently tested and found to be good, avoiding all the rest. And definitely buy from someone who you can effect a return to economically or for free under warranty. This is mostly because better economy cams have appeared on the market but also because the build quality of all G1Wx cams isn't what it once was :oops: You will notice that now another cam has replaced it as the best economy cam recommendation in the "Best Dash Cams of 2017" page on the main site here, a position the G1Wx cams held for several years.

Even with my knowing all this I have just purchased another G1W series cam with caps (Viofo's G1W-S from OCD Tronics) as I've been assured that there is one factory still building good G1W cams and that is who built it. Time will tell if I made a good choice or not. When you've got a good one, these are still great cams for the money but getting a good one may prove to be a tough and long road to be on nowadays ;)

Phil

My G1WC also does not keep date after a couple of days of no power. I don't mind the date but I wonder if this affects the loop recording / auto delete?

During the few times mine sat too long unused, the only thing lost was the date/time- all other settings and all files remained intact. It would be wise to check yours anyway just to be sure.

Phil

During the few times mine sat too long unused, the only thing lost was the date/time- all other settings and all files remained intact. It would be wise to check yours anyway just to be sure.

Phil

the other settings are kept in a read only section of memory so won't change if power is lost, time and date is the only setting that requires power

Mine is having this issue as well, anyone tried changing out the capacitor in the unit? I would try but unsure what a good replacement/upgrade would be.

Back